takeaways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why minorities on below-average income smoke more than other groups, I don't know.

Below-average income groups do many things that seem counterintuitive.

As well as disproportionately high tobacco consumption (at nearly £10 a packet for "legitimate" fags), things like obesity (over-eating), sales of lottery tickets (that they can't afford and won't lead to winning any amount worth having), betting shops (see lottery tickets) etc. are all indicators of low income and wider deprivation.

Alcohol is also a problem but is different in that it is also a feature of affluent communities. However, for the latter, consumption is often less public and may involve decent wine rather than Tennent's Super.

This isn't necessarily the case.

When I've been in Asia it's been the habit to go out and get food at stalls - either as the whole meal or part of it.

And back in the days when I was young we'd be sent to get chips to go with whatever our meal was.

The 'cooking' part isn't necessarily part of eating as a family.

I remember now (with a smile) how as a treat, we would be dispatched to bring home chips in newspaper (proper newspaper, where the ink stuck to the chips and later you could actually read stuff on your chips) to eat with something else that my mother had cooked. I can actually still feel the vinegar stinging my fingers as walked home. Or sitting in my Grand Dads Austin A73 in Galston town square tucking into a bag of chips (still in newspaper) as a Sunday treat.

So... if you have a product to sell to minorities on below-average income, then look for areas with lots of tobacco shops, and open your retail outlets there... simple.

Betting shops seem to be a sign of a downward spiral, when I drive through London, some parades of shops seem to have 4 or 5.

"Six o'chips please"
2.5p to you young ones.

Oh, and the report looks to be pretty accurate. I live in a 'nice' village.
No takeaways, no shops, not even a pub - it's a walk to the next village for a drink (thankfully only about a mile).

It's true, I live quite close to takeaways and a local corner shop, it attracts the wrong kind of crowd to the area. Some are not even customers, they just want to hang about outside the place.

It's true, I live quite close to takeaways and a local corner shop, it attracts the wrong kind of crowd to the area. Some are not even customers, they just want to hang about outside the place.

What else are you supposed to do when your young atleast there not in there cave on the Xbox or PlayStation smelling of there own piss lol.

...Alcohol is also a problem but is different in that it is also a feature of affluent communities. However, for the latter, consumption is often less public and may involve decent wine rather than Tennent's Super.

And more likely to be puchased in 6 packs at the local Threshers or Majestic then loaded onto the SUV, then bought at Mick's Off License ('Open till Late') one bottle at a time in a brown paper bag.

As is the same in all major cities, Leeds has a high density of fast food (chicken mainly) outlets in various areas.

Wonder how they make money with so much competition???!!! :dk:

One can only speculate......

Simples, that's not chicken...... :eek:

I know a couple of EHOs and they are normal people (a few aren't....)

They serve a notice on at least one fast 'food' takeaway a week in Southampton.
They also have a blacklist of others that scrape through (in the literal sense) and are on the black list that no one who knows them uses....

Mind you most kitchens in our homes would struggle (pets, kids, cross contam etc)
But some of those FF kitchens are scary(seen the photos) :eek:

I live in an OK area. A mile one way is supposedly posh and a mile the other way isn't. Both areas have numerous take away's and I think that it's great because it means that I have a wide and varied choice of take away food available to me. Strangely the middle bit where I live doesn't have any?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom