Taking car on MB Finance abroad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You may have your name on the V5 but you don't legally own the car.
Will the car require a service during your stay?
It doesn’t matter if the requires a service or not as he is going to buy it outright hence it doesn’t need to go to a UK main dealer.. he can take it to a Greek mb main dealer..

It doesn’t matter if the requires a service or not as he is going to buy it outright hence it doesn’t need to go to a UK main dealer.. he can take it to a Greek mb main dealer..
True he can have it serviced at any MB dealership, just flagging up the fact it will document the fact it's out of the country.

Well I may well be too simplistic here but ship your car to Greece,because you are allowed to have the car in the EU for 30 days,after that as you say you will continue to pay the PCP,and so they will not be worried,then we get to insurance of car,I assume you will have thought of a way to do that

So going by the above they will have no problem unless and until the car is out of the country for more than 30 days at which point you will be in breech of contract. If I were you I would inform them. Worst case you pay off the car before it’s out the country for over 30days. Best case they will be fine. If it comes to light for whatever reason that the car was/is out of the country for more than 30days claiming ignorance is no defence as you signed the contract.
^ The voice of sanity.

It may be unlikely that anyone would notice that the OP is in breach of contract if he keeps making the monthly payments from the same bank account and also makes the balloon payment at the end of the term (BTW, he will need to receive, complete and return documents to the finance company to do that which could be difficult unless he has reliable mail forwarding set up), I can imagine a number of scenarios which could cause it to come to light and then it becomes more difficult to resolve.

Altogether easier if he contacts the finance company early in the 30 day period and they may even provide the written consent. If not, pay up the outstanding sum on the contract and everything is clean.

^ The voice of sanity.

It may be unlikely that anyone would notice that the OP is in breach of contract if he keeps making the monthly payments from the same bank account and also makes the balloon payment at the end of the term (BTW, he will need to receive, complete and return documents to the finance company to do that which could be difficult unless he has reliable mail forwarding set up), I can imagine a number of scenarios which could cause it to come to light and then it becomes more difficult to resolve.

Altogether easier if he contacts the finance company early in the 30 day period and they may even provide the written consent. If not, pay up the outstanding sum on the contract and everything is clean.

Thanks. In terms of the balloon payment and documents being sent home I have people at home who can fill them if needed and send them off, or even forward them to me and I can return them if it can't be done online. But I appreciate you thinking of that.

As it stands, I am just waiting to see if the car gets shipped without any issue. Once that's done, it's off the other end in two weeks time and I pay the ridiculous port clearance fees of around 400 euros which are essentially custom taxes renamed to avoid fines from the EU, I will make a decision whether I pay the whole thing off early thus avoiding around £300-400 in interest or continue to make payments and pay the thing off in the spring. I know what the right thing to do is, but I'd rather continue making the monthly payments if it was up to me which it isn't but might be possible if nobody knows, and as mentioned with a deposit as big as I made, the intention was always to keep the car. I'm going to essentially re-finance the balloon payment onto a 0% credit card so I can do that now, and I most likely will actually....main concern now is hoping the car doesn't get flagged at customs for outstanding finance but I have no idea if they do flag that sort of thing.

I can't keep posting and checking here, but I will update just for reference if it is allowed on the ship. Given the 30 day outside the UK clause, I can't see why not...

Thanks. In terms of the balloon payment and documents being sent home I have people at home who can fill them if needed and send them off, or even forward them to me and I can return them if it can't be done online. But I appreciate you thinking of that.
You will need to sign the documents, so they will have to be forwarded to you if you're still away. Personally I'd get them back to the Finance Co. with a UK postmark rather than a Greek one too ;)

BTW, hope you enjoy Greece :thumb:

Does the car need to be inspected at all, on closing the finance agreement?

Only if you're handing the car back to them. Otherwise they don't care, it's not their property anymore.

The freight forwarders will send your car the Greece you have given them the V5 and it is in your name,it is not reported stolen they will do what they are paid to do .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom