Taking the plunge - advice much appreciated!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kickin'fm

Car
W209 CLK55 AMG
Hello all and thanks for looking, newbie here.

Just started the hunt for a CLK 500 / 55 AMG. Jumping out of a BMW 330d as want something with 2 doors and much more sex appeal.

My big concern is expensive bills. In the last 12 months Ive shelled out £2k for a new turbo and the gearbox went which cost me another £2k :mad:

Anyway, my budget is circa £11k and I'm wondering am I asking for trouble (and more sizeable bills!) shopping around for a 70k-80k 02-04 plate...?

All opinions welcome
Cheers
David

I've got/had both and they are great cars... I'm very particular with my cars and want them in tip top condition however I have also had bad luck with both of mine with gearbox issues, now this i'm told is rare!!
Try and go for the latest possible, in late 04 the facelift model came out and is a better built car...
Good luck with your find, hold out for the right car as there are many hi specced cars to be had...

Rust is another issue, something that would not have been a concern on your BMW. Mercs were not galvanised till 04/05. There's a thread on this, do a search.

Rust can be bad, effecting all wheel arches and many other areas of the car (boot lock, bonnet). And you will be very very lucky to find one without any rust. The worse thing about rust is that, unlike a gearbox or mechanical part, rust can never be fixed. It will always come back in the fixed area or another area of the car.

So I would make sure you are willing to own a car that will/has rust.

If you are, I would not choose a silver car. Silver is the hardest colour to paint match, making doing DIY rust repair very very difficult. Also many bodyshops will not gurantee a paint match. So repairing the rust becomes more of a headache.

I'm not surewhat would be a better colour, maybe ask around on the forum.

Thanks guys!

Are there any un-usual places to look for one of these? I'm sat on autotrader and fleabay but wondered if I should look elsewhere too.

dont know if my 11k will go far enough for a late 04 plate model :-(

will start searching for rust now also!

Did I read something about gearboxes being replaced under mf recall due to coolant / anti freeze leaks (can't remember where I saw it but thought I did). I take it a gearbox refurb is going to cost me £2k+ as per my beemer.

the hunt continues!
Cheers
david

Just been out for a testdrive - there is one local to me which is too new and too ££ (also red convertible - i'm after black). Loved it!!!

just need to find a good one now.

Would a warranty cover a gearbox or would they say wear and tear so tuff titty?

Thanks for all your replies and comments so far - have to say much better than bimmerforums.co.uk!!!
:)

Either of the cars you mention are fantastic,personally i would go for a w209 clk500,great value for money second hand at the mo,try to hold out for a high spec model with full mb history,either way enjoy;)

forgive my total ignorance, how does the model history work (after a year, just got my head around E39, E46, E60 etc etc)?

w208 clk's built until 2002,w209 clk's from then until present day.

55 spark plugs! holy moly!

I appreciate there is a difference between main dealer and indi, but approx how many reddies are we talking for a "A", "B" and "C" (is there a C?) service on say a 500? Also, do these boys run chains or toothed belts?

Cheers
David

The 'A', 'B', etc genrally means the amount of time required to complete the normal service. So 'A'=1 hour 'B'=2 etc etc

I know that the diesels are chain driven but am unsure about petrol engines.

can you post details of the red one?
age, cost, spec and location.

Many thanks,

Last edited:
talking about the 55 spark plugs not the post from s88!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom