Taking the plunge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zneb

Headgasket's gone on my W124 230CE coupe but as the car's in such good nick I'm going to get it fixed. Flush out the engine and give her a good old service. However there's a bit of a squeak coming from under the car when I go over bumps. It sounds like a groaning creak, hesitate to say graunch but it reminds me of a dry old rubber bush (sort of). Seems to be coming from the suspension underneath, can't tell front or back but I notice it with windows down, but not windows up and I don't feel anything through the floor or steering wheel. Anyone got any ideas what that noise is?

Apart from a few body work issues slight (and I mean slight) bubbling about size of 10p at front of wheel arches, plus a dent in the rear pillar where some scrote with a catapult's first shot landed, second shot took out my rear screen. Rear boot lid laquer has gone all white and is peeling.
Sunroof slides but has problem tilting due to a broken bracket thing in the mechanism. And that's it!
Needs a damn good valet and a buff but apart from that looks very sweet. So I reckon the ol' gal is well worth it and for 18 years old she looks a hell of lot better than some 5 year old cars I've seen so I'll resist the urge to go look at a Vauxhall Sigma or Volvo V70 for the time being and stick with the oh so much more practical :)doh:) 2 door coupe or "Stu's pimpin' ride" as one of my clients says! Grown quite attached I have!

Hi & welcome, put up a pic when you can, & whereabouts are you from ?

It is quite common for worn ball joints to squeek like that.

If it is a ball joint you need to get it fixed asap as they do snap and cause havoc!

I must say, rusty/worn balljoint was my first thought upon reading that.

Good on you for keeping it :) - many people these days seem to be losing interest in the older stuff, they go forever with TLC and servicing :cool:

Will

Will stick up a pic soon as she's all spruced up; carpets clean, washed, polished and buffed. Don't wanna put a pic of her in the condition she is now!
Will get the ball joints looked at asap, I had a Morris Marina Estate (aweful car) and one went and we just about made it to the side of the road befopre she expired.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom