Taking the SL to the Alps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Two days to Switzerland, Three days there, Two days back home.

Seems ok. I once drove through France Spain and around Morroco, and back in six days. 3800 miles !!!

My kind of touring!:D

Womderful pictures of Annecy and makes me envious of your Holiday home:D AMG210

Trip up the Semnoz
It is also a nice place to go skiing in the winter as it is so close to Annecy.

dscf4068copyrv3.jpg

Just got home, 1871 miles in 5 days, with no problems.:D :D

Had to cut the trip short by a day, as work called, which made today quite a long day. Annecy, home only stopping for petrol and the ferry.:eek:

Managed to visit Sindelfingen in Germany where the SL was built. Also made it to Italy through the snow covered Alps.

Many thanks for the advice, and Annecy was the perfect town to spend a few days.

I will post some pictures soon.

Pictures in gallery section.

Last edited:
Car looking good in the Alps, Wobbly. Quite a classic backdrop for the SL.

Is Mrs Wobbly feeling the cold? :rolleyes: :D

If you are doing the Stelvio I recommend staying at Riva del Garda on North Lake Garda and if time go on south to Marenello!:)
An alternative to Riva del Garda (and in my view a nicer place) is Torri del Benaco which is on the eastern lakeshore of Lago di Garda. I recommend Hotel Gardesana but do book a room with a balcony and view over the harbour.

Just got home, 1871 miles in 5 days, with no problems.:D :D

Had to cut the trip short by a day, as work called, which made today quite a long day. Annecy, home only stopping for petrol and the ferry.:eek:

Managed to visit Sindelfingen in Germany where the SL was built. Also made it to Italy through the snow covered Alps.

Many thanks for the advice, and Annecy was the perfect town to spend a few days.

I will post some pictures soon.

Did you have the hard top on? i couldnt drive all that way with the soft top, little too noisy!

Sindelfingen? I thought SL's were exclusive to the Bremen factory? 8th digit in the VIN should show production facility, mine is F (Bremen)

Sounds like a very good trip though :)

Sindelfingen? I thought SL's were exclusive to the Bremen factory? 8th digit in the VIN should show production facility, mine is F (Bremen)
Maybe 107s were built elsewhere? My R129 is also F.

My VIN has the 8th digit as ' A '

Quote "Did you have the hard top on? i couldnt drive all that way with the soft top, little too noisy!"

How sad, get your roof down... !!!

Hard top....???? that's the whole point of a convertible.

Sounds like you had a great trip. I did Annecy to chester in a day once 870miles plus ferry..Long trip but good fun.,

Did you have the hard top on? i couldnt drive all that way with the soft top, little too noisy!

Buy some earplugs ;)

If your 'that' bothered sell it

Does my nut people with convertibles and either don't have the roof down in the lovely weather or have the hard top on in Summer??

:) :)

woah sorry i asked! i have never once used my hard top but high speed driving in the SL is a little noisy... I do regular trips down the M1 but I dont think id be able to do 1800 miles at high speed with the rag top thats all..

If your 'that' bothered sell it

Does my nut people with convertibles and either don't have the roof down in the lovely weather or have the hard top on in Summer??

:) :)

I always have mine down......SWMBO does not. To do with complexion I understand:D

woah sorry i asked! i have never once used my hard top but high speed driving in the SL is a little noisy... I do regular trips down the M1 but I dont think id be able to do 1800 miles at high speed with the rag top thats all..

Jay, get a wind deflector, they really work.

I did 630 miles one day with the top down and the wind deflector up, only problem was we had to cover up with sun screen.

Yes get a wind deflector.

Heater on and heated seats if you have them. Happy days.

Didn't mean to go off on one....

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom