Taking UE 200E W124 >25 years old to UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a thought on the fog light issue. We had the same issue when taking our UK 124 to Italy. Turns out the rear bulb holders/light units were the same for LHD and RHD but the loom does not have the correct wires to light both fog lights. Simply running a cable from one to the other across the boot sorted it. Now its just a simple matter of removing the bulb on the side that is not required.

Wow, that's great. I will check it out this afternoon, thanks!

The speedo will read the correct speed, all these cars have 722.4 gearboxes after all, the diesel or 6 cylinder won't work though.

Do the diff ratios vary from one model to another , affecting the overall gearing , and thus speedo reading ?

Only asking because I'm not sure .

Do the diff ratios vary from one model to another , affecting the overall gearing , and thus speedo reading ?

Only asking because I'm not sure .

According to what I have been reading on forum in these days, that is correct -and it is why I was doubtful about using speedometers from different car models.
I have been reading of people who have changed the instrument and they were getting wrong speed readings. The answer was always "because you got the speedometer from another model and the gear ratio is different". I guess that if the end of scale is the same, the radio should also be the same.
But again, I just started to read about this subject and I have no direct experience, so I may be wrong ;)

There are no taxes involved EU to EU and more so it is your own car. Yes you can use it here for 6months with your existing plates and insurance. However, if you use or max this period you need to be careful if something happens, authorities may ask you to prove your temporary stay since it's not UK registered. Really if you are relocating you must register asap! But as you can imagine a lot take the risk.

To do it right you first need to obtain a NOVA certificate. You can apply for this on line : https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in. DVLA will require this certificate when you send your application to show that it's been cleared by HMRC (customs people)

Your car is over 10years old so no need of COC or other type of approval. So in the meantime order an Import Pack from DVLA, read and fill in carefully. DVLA will not hesitate to throw it back at you if filled incorrectly.

With regards to MOT:
Fyi, Headlamps with mask/deflectors will be fine ( as long as you don't encounter an overzealous tester) to go through MOT. Otherwise show 'em this : UK MOT Information, Headlamp Aim
KMH speedo not an MOT failure as such, again should be fine. This is more to do with satisfying DVLA if they pick on you. The only conversion you really need to do is the fog lamp which should be on the right side. IIRC W124 rear bulb holders with fog on the right are still available, but plenty Used ones around l'm sure.

Your registration application with DVLA must include:

Your current spanish registration (you will not get this back, btw)
UK Insurance certificate with VIN on it
Proof of residence/drivers lincense
MOT certificate
NOVA certificate
(Garage bill for Speedo conversion)
Admin Fee
Road fund license Fee

Hope this helps!

Gian Paolo.
Mi dispiace.
Having had a quick look down at the yard it appears that the 124 headlights I have may be post '92 facelift ones. However.....
I will bring back all my 124 lights/rear lights (and I think theres an instrument cluster too) over the weekend to confirm via EPC whether they are pre or post facelift ones and let you know as I have no internet/3g signal down there.
Grazie

Hi bing, thank you for your very detailed answer!

There are no taxes involved EU to EU and more so it is your own car. Yes you can use it here for 6months with your existing plates and insurance. However, if you use or max this period you need to be careful if something happens, authorities may ask you to prove your temporary stay since it's not UK registered. Really if you are relocating you must register asap! But as you can imagine a lot take the risk.

Indeed, my intention is to have them registered as soon as possible and I want to start the procedure immediately as soon as I arrive. I will just use them with Spanish plates/insurances during the process.

To do it right you first need to obtain a NOVA certificate. You can apply for this on line : https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in. DVLA will require this certificate when you send your application to show that it's been cleared by HMRC (customs people)

I'm trying to register, but I cannot even understand what category to follow... :confused:
Tell HMRC you're a new business, new employer or new to VAT -> It could be this one, but it says that it is only for taxes...
Register for Machine Games Duty -> no.
Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme -> again no.
Register for VAT Mini One Stop Shop -> no.
Register for Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act -> I guess again no.

Your car is over 10years old so no need of COC or other type of approval. So in the meantime order an Import Pack from DVLA, read and fill in carefully. DVLA will not hesitate to throw it back at you if filled incorrectly.

Ok, should I select the
Used vehicle import pack – Application to register a used imported vehicle for use in the United Kingdom
or the
V55/5 - Application for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration
?
Do I need to have already an UK address or can I start it from here?

With regards to MOT:
Fyi, Headlamps with mask/deflectors will be fine ( as long as you don't encounter an overzealous tester) to go through MOT. Otherwise show 'em this : UK MOT Information, Headlamp Aim

Good, very good, thanks!
I have been talking with my mechanic and he told me that it is possible to adjust the beam deflector to remove the "spike" on the right side and have the light leveled, in case I don't want to change the entire block. According to diagram 1.8 Page 4 it should be accepted, shouldn't it?

KMH speedo not an MOT failure as such, again should be fine. This is more to do with satisfying DVLA if they pick on you. The only conversion you really need to do is the fog lamp which should be on the right side. IIRC W124 rear bulb holders with fog on the right are still available, but plenty Used ones around l'm sure.

Nice, I have anyway found a US company who manufactures overlays with both Kmh and mph scales, so it should be ok. I didn't have time to check yet the fog light, but if I can move it on the right side just by adding the electrical connection it should be the easiest solution.

Your registration application with DVLA must include:

Your current spanish registration (you will not get this back, btw)
UK Insurance certificate with VIN on it

I'm a bit confused about this. I understand that I will get the UK plate at the end of the process, so how can I have a UK Insurance before having the car registered?

Proof of residence/drivers lincense

Driver license can be from outside UK or should it be already converted?

MOT certificate
NOVA certificate
(Garage bill for Speedo conversion)
Admin Fee
Road fund license Fee

Is it explained somewhere how to pay these fees?

Hope this helps!

A huge help! Thanks again!

Gian Paolo.
Mi dispiace.
Having had a quick look down at the yard it appears that the 124 headlights I have may be post '92 facelift ones. However.....
I will bring back all my 124 lights/rear lights (and I think theres an instrument cluster too) over the weekend to confirm via EPC whether they are pre or post facelift ones and let you know as I have no internet/3g signal down there.
Grazie

Hi John, don't worry, thanks for checking it out ;)
Let me know if you find something, in the meanwhile I will be checking on internet because I cannot wait much time to order them -between the delivery time and the installation, I will be a bit in a hurry.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I may have found an overlay for the speedometer, so that problem is less urgent...

you do not change the speedo since car is from within EU (and mercdes have both reading miles and kilo on the same dial clever germans), i have w124 e220 convertible from portugal still running with km and moted regularly it is ones imported from outside EU japanese for example need changing if in kms only

the parts u will struggle with is exhaust down pipes and manifold, i would check those before bringing over to change it as will need sourcing from europe

if want change head lights i have 2 sets with and without wipers and motors if u need them pre-facelift

Last edited:
ok will try to answer as follows:

I'm trying to register, but I cannot even understand what category to follow... :confused:
Tell HMRC you're a new business, new employer or new to VAT -> It could be this one, but it says that it is only for taxes...
Register for Machine Games Duty -> no.
Qualifying Recognised Overseas Pension Scheme -> again no.
Register for VAT Mini One Stop Shop -> no.
Register for Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act -> I guess again no.

you will need to create a gateway account:https://www.gov.uk/government-gateway click on sign up and register as individual

Ok, should I select the
Used vehicle import pack – Application to register a used imported vehicle for use in the United Kingdom
or the
V55/5 - Application for a first licence for a used motor vehicle and declaration for registration

SELECT USED VEHICLE IMPORT PACK
?
Do I need to have already an UK address or can I start it from here?

YOU NEED TO HAVE A UK ADDRESS THAT OF COURSE MATCHES OTHER ID REQUIREMENTS

Good, very good, thanks!
I have been talking with my mechanic and he told me that it is possible to adjust the beam deflector to remove the "spike" on the right side and have the light leveled, in case I don't want to change the entire block. According to diagram 1.8 Page 4 it should be accepted, shouldn't it?

WHAT I MEANT WAS SIMPLE DEFLECTORS LIKE THESE :HEADLAMP BEAM DEFLECTOR LHD LEFT HAND DRIVE MOT APPROV | eBay IF YOUR MECHANIC CAN MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS IN LINE WITH MOT REQUIREMENTS WELL AND GOOD, BUT MAKE SURE ITS DONE CORRECTLY. I'VE NOT HEARD OF THIS BEING DONE BEFORE

I'm a bit confused about this. I understand that I will get the UK plate at the end of the process, so how can I have a UK Insurance before having the car registered?

MANY INSURANCE COMPANIES IN THE UK WILL INSURE WITH THE VIN/CHASSIS NUMBER IF YOU EXPLAIN WHY

Driver license can be from outside UK or should it be already converted?

THE IMPORT PACK WILL INDICATE VARIOUS FORMS OF ID AND ADDRESS THAT YOU CAN USE BUT I WOULD GIVE THEM A CALL IF YOUR LICENSE IS YET TO BE CONVERTED.

Is it explained somewhere how to pay these fees?

YES AND IT'S THE OLD FASHION WAY I AM AFRAID - CHEQUE ! DONT REMEMBER CC BEING ACCEPTED AS IT'S DONE BY POST ONLY. NO OVER THE COUNTER WALK IN OFFICES ANYMORE.

A huge help! Thanks again!

It's quite a palaver but really just paperwork and money ;). Don't rush , just drive with spanish plates while processing all this.

you do not change the speedo since car is from within EU (and mercdes have both reading miles and kilo on the same dial clever germans), i have w124 e220 convertible from portugal still running with km and moted regularly it is ones imported from outside EU japanese for example need changing if in kms only

Hi, my speedometer is only in km/h, as you can see:

IMG_20150713_185820.jpg

I have found, anyway, this website
1984-1993 Mercedes w124 White Face Gauges - Whitegauges.net
where they can supply also the stock black faceplate with the dual scale. I'm trying to find a UK website, but no luck until now for my model.

the parts u will struggle with is exhaust down pipes and manifold, i would check those before bringing over to change it as will need sourcing from europe

Good suggestion, thanks. I will have it checked before leaving.

if want change head lights i have 2 sets with and without wipers and motors if u need them pre-facelift

Good to know. I will see what John finds out during the weekend, but if he has nothing available I can get yours. Mines are without wipers, so I guess also the new ones should be without them. Just send me a private message with how much you ask for them and how much would it be shipping to Spain.

WHAT I MEANT WAS SIMPLE DEFLECTORS LIKE THESE :HEADLAMP BEAM DEFLECTOR LHD LEFT HAND DRIVE MOT APPROV | eBay IF YOUR MECHANIC CAN MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS IN LINE WITH MOT REQUIREMENTS WELL AND GOOD, BUT MAKE SURE ITS DONE CORRECTLY. I'VE NOT HEARD OF THIS BEING DONE BEFORE

This part is a bit puzzling me.
I have been reading two different interpretations of the rules.
One says that stickers are ok for MOT, but I have also reading things like

Headlamps will need to be replaced or adjusted to produce the required dipped beam for left-hand
traffic. The alignment requirement must be met without the use of masks, beam converters or
adapters unless they are an integral part of an approved headlamp.
http://www.import-car.info/images/dftguide.pdf

Anyway

Don't rush , just drive with spanish plates while processing all this.

Indeed, I will have to do that. Things are very complicated to be done from here and I'm quite lost in this new (for me) organization. Here in Spain I'm afraid to say that it has been a lot easier, I just went to the police office, talked to an officer and he instructed me exactly on each step I had to follow.

About the fog lights, I have been checking the tail lights.
Indeed, there is the place for the lamp also on the right side.
The problem is that the line is not powered (as expected) and the positive contact for the lamp is missing in the holder (which was not expected...).
See these pictures. This is the left side (where now the lamp is installed)

IMG_20150903_115314.jpg

while this one is the right side

IMG_20150903_115329.jpg

As you can see, the contact is missing. I will try to build something to close the contact...
Does anyone have the pinout of the connector to see which one is the pin to take to the other side?

gpaolo said:
This part is a bit puzzling me. I have been reading two different interpretations of the rules. One says that stickers are ok for MOT, but I have also reading things like http://www.import-car.info/images/dftguide.pdf .

This is for vehicles under 10years old which falls under "Mutual recognition scheme certification" or that requires an IVA type approval. Stringent checks/inspection is carried out in both cases.

The Internet is a minefield, trust only the "gov.uk"site . It's all here , and if you're unsure of anything give them a call . They are surprisingly helpful !

Internet is indeed a minefield, you can read anything and all its opposite.
I hope that DVLA will answer my message soon, I don't feel yet very comfortable to speak in English by phone -sometimes people tend to forget that not everybody is a native English speaker :D
I guess that there is no physical office where I can go once I'm in UK to short out the doubts that I may have...

Good car :D
Rear fog light fixed! Thanks for the great hint about the lamp holder!

IMG_20150906_223944.jpg

Hi all, I return to this thread because I am close to the end of the process -I hope.
I had to wait some time before starting the application (in the meanwhile I have registered my other car) and now I am filling the V55/5 form for my Mercedes.
I need some help, because a lot of data in this form are completely unknown to me. For my other car, I got them from the CoC, but in this case I don´t have it (and I have been reading that they are available only for cars manufactured after the 1996) and they are not present in the previous registration documents.

So, if someone could give me some hint, it would be very appreciated.
My doubts are:

Field 11, Type approval: I think I should leave it empty and write in filed 50 that the car is 26 years old. Am I right?
Field 16, HC g/km: Unknown.
Field 23, NOx g/km: Unknown.
Field 35, CO2 g/km: I have found a value of 204 g/km on internet, but I am not sure of this data. I hope it is not right, because that would put the car in tak band K just for 4 grams...
Field 36, mass in service: what does it mean exactly?
Field 37, particulate: unknown.
Field 38, CO g/km: unknown.
Field 39, HC+NOx g/km: unknown.
Field 43, drive-by sound level: unknown.
Field 44, Power/Weight ratio: unknown.
Field 28, Euro Status directive: the car is a Euro1, I had the CE 91/441 directive indicated on my old documentation, I guess it is right.

Thanks!

Gpaolo i to have a speedo for a 2.3 W124 . In mph and not killometers . If your stuck let me know . The number you need will be on the face of your speedo with VDO by the side.

Thank you, but I already have the car modified. I have already gone through the MOT and everything is fine, I just need some help in filling the V55/5 form...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom