Taking up cycling again after a 40 year gap !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reggie-rock

Car
2015 E Class coupe 220 diesel bluetec, 2009 Mitsubishi Colt 1.3
I am taking up cycling again for pleasure after a 40 year gap. I have purchased a fantastic slightly used aluminium racer with campag. gears etc. and look forward to getting back on the saddle, but don't think I will do time trials as I used too.
I think my wife thinks I am a little mad, hope I can prove her wrong.

Good on you! I'm sure you'll have a great time, and stay fit too :thumb:

I am taking up cycling again for pleasure after a 40 year gap. I have purchased a fantastic slightly used aluminium racer with campag. gears etc. and look forward to getting back on the saddle, but don't think I will do time trials as I used too.

After 40 years, you'll look forward to getting back off the saddle after a few miles.:crazy:

Thank you for the inspiration Reggie. Just what I needed to help me refocus my exercise efforts these coming weeks.

Best of luck and maybe a photo of the new steed if you get a chance? With mud of course.

Fantastic. Great way to keep fit and enjoy the fresh air. I've been cycling regularly for 25 years and still love it as the best way to unwind after work.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Just remember to take a puncture repair kit and/or spare tube plus a multi tool, this our lot Saturday hahaha 3 punctures!

And yes im the drip holding the drinks bottle pmsl :doh:

View attachment 55220

Last edited:
I think a tube of Deep Heat ointment will be on the shopping list Reggie.......lol go steady!!

Good for you!

Top tip - don't try and do too much too soon. Even if your limbs survive, your ar$e WILL hurt initially!

Glad to see you're a fellow Campag man too.

I started again last year after about a 15 year gap and ended up doing the London to Brighton ride (57 miles with some serious hills) last September. I got a hybrid rather than a racer but may change it this year if plan on doing the ride again. My favourite form of excercise.

I bought a good quality mountain bike last year and loved going out on it, but think I should have bought a hybrid as the roughest terrain I ride on is gravel tracks.
I'm thinking about putting some smoother tyres on as people tell me it will run better with less drag than chunky tryes.

Enjoy your new toy

After the initial enthusiasm has worn off, you may need something to motivate you to keep it up...

It's very tempting to just sit in front of the TV, especially in the bad weather.

Maybe join a local bike club? Doesn't have to be competitive, just one that focuses on general healthy riding and improving your social life..

A single friend of mile recently joined a jogging club (obviously not my cup of tea - no mechanical bits to fiddle with) and concluded it was just an elaborate dating society that had a bit of jogging thrown-in..

Who, knows, you new bike might get you a new partner..

I bought a good quality mountain bike last year and loved going out on it, but think I should have bought a hybrid as the roughest terrain I ride on is gravel tracks.
I'm thinking about putting some smoother tyres on as people tell me it will run better with less drag than chunky tryes.

Enjoy your new toy

I have Schwalbe Big Apples on one of my bikes (Dawg Supreme) and they are a great alternative to typical off road tyres. Great for kerb hopping too. No punctures either and I've had them on for a good few years now. A little noisy on tarmac, but that's not a bad thing with pedestrians around.

_detail_BigApple.jpg

I did something similar back in 2009.

Having not ridden for 15 years, I bought myself a hybrid and got back in to it.

It felt a bit odd being exposed to the elements after being within the confines of a car in the interim.

I only rode in the Summer as riding in cold weather is not enjoyable.

I had to call it a day a couple of years ago. I found that I got a sore rse, even with a "comfy saddle" and a sore wrist (can't remember which one and I was ambidextrous as a teenager before anyone says it! :D).

I am quite heavy though and have a small rse so maybe that didn't help.

I love cycling though so I found motivation quite easy.

Well done for getting back on a bike. Slow and steady as you go, ease into it and you'll be fine. Great for keeping you fit and will help with your driving skills too as it will increase your awareness of other road users.

:thumb:

Here is my new hobby horse, I mean bike.

Attachments

• 078.jpg
    078.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 16
I bought a cheap Halfords Apollo mountain bike a couple of years ago. It was my first bike since 1977. I used to be a keen cyclist, but discovered bikes with engines at the age of 16! I found it easier kicking a lever instead of using pedals, then pressing a start button, even easier! I found the bike seat very uncomfortable, worse than I ever remember. I bought padded shorts which helped a wee bit.
I feel nervous cycling on the roads,so I tend to put the bike in the car and go to the Forth and Clyde canal to cycle along the towpath.

5 years ago, I bought my first bicycle in over 40 years: a Claud Butler Urban Commuter (hybrid). Those puncture proof tyres really are a revelation.

You would think that one would forget the subtleties of riding a bike after so long. No so. It really is second nature. You never forget.

Fortunately, I have immediate access to over 40 acres of neighbourhood green space - plus 2 to 3 miles of green corridor to the next nearest Birmingham suburb - so I never have to risk venturing onto the public highway. Then, there's all the accessible canal towpaths across the city to explore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom