Taking wrap off a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmancdi

MB Enthusiast
Car
mercedes E320 cdi sport ,vw Tiguan R line , M B cls , bmw convertible
Anyone ever took wrap off a car ,
Is it risky. It’s a black merc wrapped in grey. mot can you polish wrap or how do you clean it.
many advice welcome.

Removing wrap can be risky depending on how long it's been on and the quality of the wrap etc. As for polishing it I've never heard of anybody doing it to be honest. Washing us just the same method as you wash any car tbh.

Also do v5 need changed when wrapped or insurance effected
( just thought of that )

Also do v5 need changed when wrapped or insurance effected
( just thought of that )

Hair dryer and is your friend here, see what's on the V5 normally wrap is defined as temporary and as such doesn't need changing on the V5. It can be a real PITA to remove a lot depends on how well it's done, light and grills removed etc.

Steam all day long, the lads at work remove full body wraps from vans prior to going through the auction. They can do a full van (sprinter size) in under 3 hours.

In general wrap is usually put on as a choice of colour etc. I hope
in general it’s not on to hide anything nasty, but it’s not cheap to wrap so hopefully it’s just a fashion statement.
Any thoughts ?

In general wrap is usually put on as a choice of colour etc. I hope
in general it’s not on to hide anything nasty, but it’s not cheap to wrap so hopefully it’s just a fashion statement.
Any thoughts ?
Correct that's also a good point can sometimes hide so horrors

I can tell you that for mot purposes if a car has been wrapped a different colour is must be changed on the mot database at time of test, it used to be classed as temporary, i would assume the v5 would need to be updated too but not 100% sure on that

I can tell you that for mot purposes if a car has been wrapped a different colour is must be changed on the mot database at time of test, it used to be classed as temporary, i would assume the v5 would need to be updated too but not 100% sure on that

i will have to look into that , I had a grey E class few yrs back sprayed
white they mot it ok , only time I changed v5 was when I was selling it.

All I can say is carefully and a bit of heat even hair dryer warm will do.

It will depend on how long it’s been on though.

I bought a car with a wrapped bonnet. The car has been garaged and when I got it, it no longer was. The wrap visibility perished and had to be removed after about 6 years.

Not only did the wrap come off in tiny pieces, it left a thick layer of glue. In trying to remove the glue it took the lacquer with it. So ended up with a bonnet respray.

So I’m very cautious of wraps. I’d personally only have a car wrapped if I knew I’d never be taking it off in my ownership!

When do they check the colour of a vehicle at an MOT?

Steam all day long, the lads at work remove full body wraps from vans prior to going through the auction. They can do a full van (sprinter size) in under 3 hours.
Makes sense - less chance of burning anything.

From the GOV.UK website -
Changes you need to update
You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:

• colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity (cc)
  • fuel type
  • chassis or bodyshell (replaced or modified)
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a large vehicle, for example goods vehicle or campervan
Change vehicle details on a V5C registration certificate (log book)

Other references
Car Wrapping Frequently Asked Questions - Reforma UK

Another ref -
DVLA:

In the past, it was not required to notify the DVLA of a car wrap, because this was considered a temporary modification.

However, in 2017, the DVLA changed its stance on wraps, deeming them a permanent change and the DVLA requires all vehicle owners to report this modification.

From their perspective, the police and other law enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA to provide accurate information/descriptions for vehicles during an investigation. This includes info like make, model, and colour.

https://www.autowrapcentreliverpool.co.uk/blog/dvla-insurance-car-wrap

Last edited:
I once had a VW Beetle that the previous owner had painted in Hammerite with a brush.

During my Summer holiday as a student I set about stripping it back and repainting, the MOT ran out in August and the new one showed under colour 'blue/grey/brown as I had run out of grey primer and was using red oxide on the bits that weren't the original blue.

It would have been easier to wrap it if they had been available in 1985.

From the GOV.UK website -
Changes you need to update
You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:

• colour
  • engine
  • cylinder capacity (cc)
  • fuel type
  • chassis or bodyshell (replaced or modified)
  • seating capacity
  • weight of a large vehicle, for example goods vehicle or campervan
Change vehicle details on a V5C registration certificate (log book)

Other references
Car Wrapping Frequently Asked Questions - Reforma UK

Another ref -
DVLA:

In the past, it was not required to notify the DVLA of a car wrap, because this was considered a temporary modification.

However, in 2017, the DVLA changed its stance on wraps, deeming them a permanent change and the DVLA requires all vehicle owners to report this modification.

From their perspective, the police and other law enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA to provide accurate information/descriptions for vehicles during an investigation. This includes info like make, model, and colour.

https://www.autowrapcentreliverpool.co.uk/blog/dvla-insurance-car-wrap

I was fairly sure of this but not 100%, but now i can be

When do they check the colour of a vehicle at an MOT?

every time at the start of a test, you can pick a max of 2 colours otherwise its classed as multicolour

I once had a VW Beetle that the previous owner had painted in Hammerite with a brush.

I used blue Hammerite on the (large) patches of rust on a metallic blue Montego estate ... maybe BL should have used that at the factory.

I did hand paint a whole car in household polyurethane gloss once, and that actually turned out amazingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom