Tales from France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
Boy, you blighters fair prattle on – I go away for three weeks and come back to around 500 new posts!!! :D But I’ll struggle on… And during those three weeks we did not see a newspaper or watch telly – Bush could’ve nuked the rest of the world, for all we knew!

Scottish readers will know that we are blessed with a direct ferry link between Rosyth and Zeebrugge. It started four years ago and we have used it since the very beginning. So just as Londoners think the world stops at Watford, as far as I am concerned, a line drawn through Skipton, Harrogate and York marks the southern edge of Britain! (So tough on all yous who reside between these arbitrary boundaries!) ;)

Folk flinch at the £600 return fare for car and two passengers on the Superfast ferry but that includes an outside 2-berth cabin and as much grub as you can shovel down your neck at the superb buffet dinner and breakfast. Set that against the 1000 mile return grind on M6, M1, M25 and M20 and D, B+B both ways as well as the return Channel crossing fare, and it looks to me like a great deal.

We had an easy run round Paris, covering the 23 miles from C de G to Palaiseu on the A10 in 35 minutes. Glad I wasn’t heading north though – drove for nearly 20 minutes past three lanes of stationery traffic – say, 15 miles. :eek:

France has roughly the same human and car population as the UK but with twice the space and three times the RTA death rate. But even on cruise at 130 kph, they pile on past like you’re standing still.

Roadside shrines of dead flowers are all the rage and we examined one near a tree with all the bark torn off. A picture of a guy in his twenties standing beside a red high-powered bike had the legend “He lived life to the full.” No, he didn’t – he lived life to about 30%. The road, needless to say, had gentle curves, was beautifully surfaced and clear sightlines. Judging by the tree he must have been exceeding the 90 kph limit by some margin.

Another favoured trick is to romp up and attach themselves to your back bumper, make an ill-advised overtaking manoeuvre, then draw off the road at the next village. Time saved – 6 nano-seconds.

But, worry not! The Gendarmerie is on the case. Apart from hiding behind bushes where oncoming traffic spot them and warn possible victims, they are out and about with the old breathalysers. For the first time in my life, I was stopped by a lovely Police-girlie who huskily requested I blow into her leetle bag. As it was around midday, I’m not sure what kind of desperados she was hoping to catch – perhaps a Scottish middle-aged couple in a middle-aged classic Merc fitted their profile… Anyway she confirmed I was as sober as I’ll ever be, and wished us “bonne journee.”

On our second week, we were drifting around the hilly roads near Roche de Solutre, west of Macon when all of a sudden a convoy passed us in the opposite direction – a silver 911 Carrera cabriolet, a gunmetal 911 Turbo, a third 911 coupe, a silver Carrera GT (Oh yes!) a blue 911 coupe, a dark R129 SL, a red Ferrari F40 (True!) another silver 911 cabriolet, a Maserati coupe (the latest) and another silver 911 Turbo. (The driver of that one waved – but I don’t think I knew him!)

I never thought I would feel sympathy for the driver of a 129 SL. He actually had the most sensible car and I hope he had at least 8 cylinders, but he was the outclassed pauper of the group! A bit of envy, perhaps, but the rest were perhaps a bunch of Richards as they howled past in second gear whilst worrying about grounding the exhausts and spoilers.

I think it would have been more fun with the group we saw the previous week in the Perigord – an old-school British raid with the usual suspects – Jaguars XK & E-Types, A-H 3000, Alvis TE, sundry MGAs & Bs, Daimler SP250 etc.

Petrol ranges from 1.19€ to 1.35€ for 95u/l and 1.34€ to 1.52€ for 98u/l. Diesel went from 1€ to 1.10€. I got 30.4 mpg over 2300 miles and she ran beautifully. The heat makes the leather creak more and some trim starts to twitter and squeak! (a bit like the occupants) :D

Toodle-pip! (Car to polish...)

I go to france 4 times a year to see my family, and I think in france they've calmed down on the roads alot in the past 2 years since the new road laws have come in.

Depends where you are.

In Paris, drivers (and bikers particularly) are very aggressive and very foolhardy. Like hazard lights will stop you ripping your face off on a bridge support (!)

Outside Paris, once you get used to the fact that French drivers don't consider it necessary to accelerate when overtaking, then you (I, at least) tend to fall into the system fairly easily.

Like mercedes lover, we drive in France regularly (almost the owners of a new house near Angouleme), and it has improved; but it's still different.

Del320, it sounds like a great break. Using an E320 Coupe as intended (GT :D ) Welcome back. Sorry we all prattled on so much while you were gone ;)

PJ

del320 said:
For the first time in my life, I was stopped by a lovely Police-girlie who huskily requested I blow into her leetle bag.

Why? Were her frites cold?

We get over to France 2/3 times a year. What impresses most is the superior road surfaces, added road capacity, and (mostly) less dense traffic which makes predicting journey times that much easier.

Last time we were there I had to drive into Paris to pick up a friend. Driving solo and map-reading in Paris is not easy, as I'm sure you know. Luckily I had the France satnav CD in the good old Comand, and the drive was simplicity itself!

Del - we got back from a longer trip about 10 days ago - France, Germany, Austria, Italy, France. 3200 miles in all and the 'old girl' never missed a beat! Best bit was the only quiet bit of the German Autobahn just South of Munich - I really enjoyed myself on the de-restricted bits and saw 140mph on the GPS and she was still accelerating! Must agree about the mad drivers though - if you think France is bad, just try Italy! They'll try and overtake ANYWHERE and several times, it was only my actions which prevented an accident. Best mpg I saw for one leg was 42mpg and worst was about 38mpg. Spent about £430 on diesel in all.

Gordon

imadoofus said:
...Using an E320 Coupe as intended (GT:D)... PJ
Classic E320 Coupe spotted in natural habitat!

France.jpg

Still spotless after 1200 miles :D

That's what it's all about :D

Lovely picture, Del.

BTW, what's the badge thingy under your offside rear light?

PJ

Nice picture reminds me of many trips away.
First time I went round paris ring road scared the life out of me, but i think they've calmed down alot with the new speed camera's, I drove round central paris one night but my wife's cousin directed me so was easy apart from coming across 14 lanes to get off the arc de triomphe. Every time I go to france I use the paris ring road to get to Orleans and last 4 times i've been flashedby there sped camera's. The roads are pretty free except weekends in summer on the main motorways can be a nightmare.

Funny we all say about the way they drive, my brother-in-law drove to our wedding he said the roads here are more dangerous than france because our truck drivers are crazy and try to ram you of the motorway to make you crash. Funny to see what french people think of things here compared to what we think there.

Talking of mad drivers and foreign soil. I once (very pleased to say) drove through the Center of Milan in summer, never never never again :crazy:

imadoofus said:
BTW, what's the badge thingy under your offside rear light? PJ
Well spotted, that man with the bottle-bottom glasses!

Now, I've never claimed the car was perfect...

It's a genuwine "Elegance" badge cunningly placed to hide a tiny crease, kindly placed by some T**t in a Landrover Disco - that's the precise height of the protruding fold out step below the rear bumper. (Dentmaster were unable to assist :mad: )

...please don't tell anyone else... ;)

Ian B Walker said:
I once drove through the Center of Milan in summer, never never never again :crazy:
Yeah! been there, done that - I swear that a tram driver attempted to pull out and pass me :D

del320 said:
It's a genuwine "Elegance" badge cunningly placed to hide a tiny crease, kindly placed by some T**t in a Landrover Disco - that's the precise height of the protruding fold out step below the rear bumper. (Dentmaster were unable to assist :mad: )
That's a bit of a bugger :mad: . I saw it on your photo, and I thought "I probably want one of those, whatever it is". Now I know I definitely don't.

del320 said:
...please don't tell anyone else... ;)
My lips are sealed :)

PJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom