Tales from typographical oceans. Recall!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I seem to have become cack-handed when typing and I'm making errors with even basic stuff.

I usually type at speed and am often multitasking, but theres no excuse for my recent errors of site instead of sight and weekness instead of weakness. Age related? Most probably.

However, my worst typo, an innocent but mortifying error was on a quotation to a Manchester solicitors practice.

The company in question was Rozita Hussain Solicitors (nice lady). We were recommended to them by a good friend of ours who worked at their offices.

Our quotations are produced on a simple MS Word template. After the customers name and address there is a pre-typed Dear Sir/Madam which is edited to suit the recipient.
This is where the problem lay. I'd somehow (through using the delete and backspace button) managed to start the quotation "Dear Sadam". :eek:

This was in the days when fax was the routine form of transmitting and I had no idea of the error until the quotation was faxed back with "please proceed" written diagonally across the original document.

In order to stop digging myself deeper into a hole, I never mentioned this to Rozita or our friend at the practice and can only hope it was unnoticed.

So what's your worst typo, forum post or irretractable email?

The iPad and IPhone correct for you. There is a very very funny book on the subject. I have the same problem. Type then read. I get umpteen emails, PMs every day and I tend to type too fast with a reply as I am usually upto my neck in work.

The worst for me is work estimates. They need to be spot bolloc on but I mess them up by typing too fast because I am juggling 10 things at once. I can multi-task. Honest guv.

The iPad and IPhone correct for you. There is a very very funny book on the subject. I have the same problem. Type then read. I get umpteen emails, PMs every day and I tend to type too fast with a reply as I am usually upto my neck in work.

The worst for me is work estimates. They need to be spot bolloc on but I mess them up by typing too fast because I am juggling 10 things at once. I can multi-task. Honest guv.

You have no excuse. I'm old, you're not! :p

That's it. Spinning too many plates. I used to make perhaps one mistake per year on sizes for our orders. I'm ultra careful (my Leica Disto measuring device cost a fortune, but worth every penny) but in the past few years I've made a mess of a few orders by inputting the sizes incorrectly. :doh: Now I check and double-check everything because if things don't fit, it looks poor and costs money!

Today I was Star machine bound and paperwork monkey. I picked up ONE 17mm ring spanner all day. It's lucky I have superb employees that work wonders. I couldn't do all the work without Matt and Jack. I love being on the spanners and hate it when I have day when I'm not getting stuck in.

The thing is garages have a general bad reputation but Im trying my hardest to change
that.

A Quote from the film "The Cannon Ball Run"

"Nobody's perfect"

Today I was Star machine bound and paperwork monkey. I picked up ONE 17mm ring spanner all day. It's lucky I have superb employees that work wonders. I couldn't do all the work without Matt and Jack. I love being on the spanners and hate it when I have day when I'm not getting stuck in.

The thing is garages have a general bad reputation but Im trying my hardest to change
that.

A Quote from the film "The Cannon Ball Run"

"Nobody's perfect"

Same here. I don't enjoy being desk bound, but I have to quote and order everything if only for peace of mind.

I much happier when I'm out and about, travelling and installing.

I'm a hands on bloke that gets bored easily. I need the challenge.

I thought this was a thread about Yes when i reas the title ( quickly ) :eek:

...A Quote from the film "The Cannon Ball Run"

"Nobody's perfect"

I believe that was also the closing line in 'Some Like It Hot'....
biggrin.gif

Just thank god you don't work for the BBC! The BBC announcer McDonald Hobley once introduced Sir Stafford Cripps as 'Sir Stifford Crapps' particularly poignant since the guy suffered from colitis! And a more recent occasion where James Naughtie accidentally introduced the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, as Jeremy **** live on air and then proceeded to "corpse" afterwards. James Naughtie blames Dr Spooner after renaming Jeremy Hunt | Media | guardian.co.uk Chic Murray would have been proud.

So what's your worst typo, forum post or irretractable email?

I can't believe I'm going to admit this, but:

About four years ago, I was doing quite well trying to get into Rolls Royce Derby. We had had meetings with their representatives at several sites and was making progress. Only a higher management person to persuade of our capabilities. We discussed setting up a meeting. We exchanged emails. All was going well.

Then the emails started getting a little vague - can't meet yet - too busy - I'll have to cancel (at short notice). I know he was a very busy person, but it was a little frustrating. When one email came back, cancelling again, I forwarded it to my colleagues with an added note to the effect that I thought this bloke was possibly a complete time-waster, and what did they think?

Later that day I got a call. From the man. "I didn't appreciate that email you sent me".

I had pressed 'REPLY', not 'FORWARD'. :doh:

I reckon my ratio of caring about spelling/grammar/punctuation against making glaring errors in my posts must be one of the highest on the forum. :eek:

I also find at least one typo in virtually every email I write, but only after having hit 'send'. :doh:

I think the most embarrassing types of typo are the ones where the recipient will either think it was a deliberate slight, or was down to ignorance on the part of the writer.

Sending an email addressed to "Sadam" to someone whose surname is Hussain is as good an example of the former as I've heard about. My examples of the latter pale into insignificance by comparison, but have been just as mortifying for me: I once sent an article off to a sub-editor containing a reference to "wracking my brains", which was doubly annoying as I'd gone through the thought process of telling myself not to mix up wracking/racking when writing it. Did exactly the same thing on the forum recently with illicit/elicit.

Just thank god you don't work for the BBC! The BBC announcer McDonald Hobley once introduced Sir Stafford Cripps as 'Sir Stifford Crapps' particularly poignant since the guy suffered from colitis! And a more recent occasion where James Naughtie accidentally introduced the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, as Jeremy **** live on air and then proceeded to "corpse" afterwards. James Naughtie blames Dr Spooner after renaming Jeremy Hunt | Media | guardian.co.uk Chic Murray would have been proud.

Ouch! :D

I'm currently bidding on an eBay item described as "Handmade in England by Loake Hoemakers". I'm hoping it's actually a pair of shoes, or who knows what may turn up in the post.............?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom