Talk to me about B200 Turbos.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMG-Al

Car
CLK55AMG (W208)
After e v e n t u a l l y managing to sell Mrs AMG's ML270 she is currently spending hour after hour on the interweb searching for a replacement. The ML was an unusual choice for her, but that was what she wanted so who was I to argue.

The current selections have been in the V6 Audi TT/R32 Golf/Alfa GT area however she has found a 2005 B200 Turbo for sale locally with reasonable miles, good spec, good history and in really nice condition - HOWEVER....

I don't know the first thing about them. Can anybody help? Are they any use and are there any weak points particularly in this model that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

That kinda shows my problem; 3 pages of reviews but only 1 of the car in question so it seems a bit rare or unusual. Just can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

I'd go with the R32 Golf me self.

Reet fast, reliable, practical and cheap (ish) to run.

Audi TT's don't do much for me (just a style thing, I've never driven one), but Golf R32 and Alfa GT would work. I can't see the read across to a B-Class? I've driven a couple of B classes, 180 petrol manual and diesel automatic and they're OK if uninspiring. Bags of room. The petrol one I had as a rental in Germany for a couple of days and gave me backache, although I didn't bother fiddling with the seat much.

I've driven an A200 turbo and it didn't come across as something with nearly 200HP, I guess that's going to be blunted even more in the bigger B class.

Alfa GT 3.2V6 is the way to go, you'll love it even when it's being fixed :)

Cheers,

Gaz

A B class cannot compare to an Alfa GT or R32.

Get the Alfa. Its the only really nice car there and it will be the most fun and I bet reliable, they don't make really bad cars these days

The Alfa is a half way decent motor...remember this comes from a time when GM and Alfa were working together so the electrics are mainly GM as is the floor pan and the engine, which is no bad thing.

They can suffer from the oil cooler pipes rusting out as they sit in all of the spray and salt etc. Can also suffer from clonks from the front suspension which tend to be bushes.

Honda civic type R should be considered too, better than all those cars and just as quick if not quicker. I think the golf is boring even if they put a V8 in it, its just a very bland car. The Alfa is nice but I doubt it will be reliable. Not going to comment on the merc because i'm not a fan of the A or B in the merc line-up.

You could also draw her attention to the 1 series coupe, the diesels are great as are the 6 cylinders especially the 123d is an absolute hoot to drive. The 1-series in general are unrivaled in terms of speed and handling in the hatchback arena.

Honda civic type R should be considered too, better than all those cars and just as quick if not quicker.

Over the years I've driven the original Civic type R, then the S2000 and finally the new Civic R all with a series view to buying, in each case I ended up with something else.

Personally the engine does nothing for me though I know plenty of people rave about them. :dk:

Right chaps, thanks very much. B seems generally unknown and/or unloved. I guess if it isn't getting a shed load of support on here then that answers my question.

Agree with all on Alfa, GT would be my first choice. We have just put away a 102,000 mile 147 with just routine maintenence and front suspension work only. Everything still worked 100% so not too concerned about reliability.

BMW will never happen - Mrs AMG isn't a fan.

Honda will probably require too much input to suit her.

So looks like Alfa/Golf/TT.

The search continues..........................

For me the TT (latest generation) has the best credibility of those three cars. The first generation TT used to share the same steel platform as the Golf family of cars. But the latest TT is now 70% aluminium = lower mass, better mass distribution. Quattro as well.

Pretty sure the earlier TT was part alloy chassised too. (Seem to recall Autocar praising a 2WD version as being a version of the VW GTi but several hundred kg lighter - and fleeter of foot than the 4WD versions).

What did she get? Sorry I missed this as I could have told you pretty much everything you needed to know about them.

Hi MB-BTurbo,
I have just purchased a A200 Turbo and have a problem where i seem to loose power after approx 4 min of driving.
If i turn it off and on it seams to be ok again for another few minutes then does the same.
Ive had it in a garage and the seam to think its a vacuum problem on part of the turbo.
I think after reading almost every post on the net i can find that it is something more simple, like a MAP sensor maybe?
Not sure if you have ever come across this before?
Any would be great
Thanks

I've not come across this before on mine or any other car I'm afraid. After a torrid time with my 200 Turbo it has been a superb car for the last 6 months so I hope that when it gets sorted out you can enjoy yours. I got 47.5 mpg out of a 240 mile journey the other day. Not bad for a 193bhp petrol engine.

Mine is doing about 29 according to trip computer! Maybe something to do with the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom