Talk to me about Remaps.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John Jones Jr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
I've decided I'm going for a remap (C230k) but after a good look around on the web the offerings vary somewhat putting it politely. Anything from 15BHP to a staggering 39BHP with corresponding torque increases. Who to believe, who to trust?

Comments please.

Complete waste of time and money on a 230K engine best you will get is 15 bhp, best gain is to change the supercharger pulley or crank pulley to spin the charger up faster then you can look at 30 bhp also you'll need to change the intercooler for maximum gains. Search my threads I been down this route and done loads to mine but not remapped it.

Yes, I'm fully aware that a pulley change, intercooler etc are the way to go for major power improvements but I'm on a small budget so, $750, plus shipping and taxes for the crankshaft pulley and another £4-500? for a custom I.C. plus sundries are out of the question, sadly.
And, I may as well top it all off and replace the ex.man & system too to maximize the power gains. Supersprint want about €1500 for their kit lovely and all that it is. Then I could get a custom bit of milling done on the S/c pulley along with the getting S/charger ported, another £££'s. We must be looking at 1 bar & 270BHP +. In an ideal world, I would.

Thus my interest in a remap. Now, let's say the gains are going to be realistic (dismissing the 25/27/30 & 39bhp gains quoted) at somewhere around 15 & 20BHP - an average of 17.5BHP or 9% increase, the remap looks good value @ £250?

Very surprised you haven't had a remap done especially since you've obviously carried modifications.

As above a remap gains you very little a 7.5% power increase at best, put some Millers fuel additive in and you will get that. I'm not sure where you are getting your prices from but a complete 15% overdrive pulley kit can be had for < £500 and would represent a far better investment IMHO.

Depending on the year it's an ECU out job to remap not just upload via the OBD port, I've driven a few remapped 230K's and I honestly can't tell the difference from a well set up standard car.

It's everyone to their own but I've been in the Motorsport and Tuning business a long time and this is not something I would do with so little gains on offer all IMHO of course :thumb:

Cheers for your views flanaia. I was hoping a remap may improve driveability too. Better throttle response for one.

Any info on the sub £500 pulley?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom