Talk to me about Shim Pads ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
Alright,

My W202 has the sport suspension and its dead low and as my daily commute has 150 speed humps i want to jack it up a bit so i was thinking of changing my shim pads to the thickest size (22 mm)

so is there anyway of finding out what size i have on my car now and generally are the shim pads the same size front and rear ?

any advice welcomed

regards

Brett

You can have a look up at the top of the spring with a torch. They have nibs on them to denote the thickness - 1-nib = thinnest AFAIK.

You could probably add a few mm with shims, but if the ride height needs to change significantly you're probably better with new springs - old ones have probably sagged a bit and will be tired anyway.

Will be different front and rear so you will need to check both.

Difference between #1 and #4 can be a ride height difference of 25mm due to the location of the spring on the suspension.

Thanks, i did go into MB to buy springs but he was unable to look anything up for me due to the "points" system they use and me wanting standard springs whilst my car originally came with sport springs. The parts man just said about giving the shims a go first as they are substantially cheaper than springs !

He said if I can get a vin from a C230k wwith elegance spec they could work it out for me !

right, had a look and my front have 4 nibs and the pad itself is dead thick - i cant see the nibs on the rear but the pad itself is half the thickness. So there seems scope to raise the back up by about 10mm but nothing on the front so looks like i will have to go the spring route !

cheers anyway

I must admit thats what I though when the parts bloke called them that - I always called them spring seating pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom