Talk to me about Vivaro's please ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

poormansporsche

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W209
alright everyone,

like it says - need a slightly bigger van than my transit connect so thinking about a vivaro/trafic/primastar

anyone got one / had one - reliabily / sizes / engines / real world mpg etc etc

Any input appreciated probably got a max 5 grand budget so no bothered about comments on the brand new ones

cheers

brett

My mates got a Vivario.

I'm fed up of fixing it. Its a Renault after all. I am not keen on the 20,000 mile service schedules on an engine with a timing chain.
Get a LWB Vito.

A friend has got a vivaro with about 350k on it.

Just keeps on going , don't think it gets much love.

I used to have a 08 plate vivaro 2.0 cdti and I left it with 140k apart from a cutch problem and a couple of ignition barrels the van was good as gold!
And I was not shy in abusing it! :thumb:

Last edited:
My cousin has a Vivaro, they are awful his has gone wrong twice. They have problems with the injectors getting stuck, Watchdog did a program on them.

The Renaults and Nissans are the same as they share the same engine.

Bought a traffic in 03 new,kept it 4 years and 60k miles,nothing at all bad to report.
Bought another in 07 new kept it 7 years an 120k miles again it just didn't goo wrong, had an ignition barrel under warranty,
This time I wanted auto so went for a T5 or I would have bought another without though.

How ever they don't take miles well, they begin to feel flimsy,mishaped seat bolsters,side door tracks,handles etc,

I would run one under warranty no problem but they have well known expensive problems as they age.

I am a building contractor.

Had my 08 vivaro for 2 1/2 years and its only needed a clutch, all the other bits its needed are general servicing parts i.e link bars and track rod ends nearly every year. Now has 134k on it and still going very well and i do approx 500 miles per week.

Mine is an ex AA van as these are generally pretty well looked after and are high spec with electric windows and mirrors also A/C, i couldnt stand the bright yellow though so it went in for a respray and all colour coded in a nice bright white.

All in all a very comfortable van to drive and plenty of power if you get the 115bhp model. I would definatly go for the lwb model thought.

Have a look at a Hyundai Iload 2.5CRDi, they can be purchased from £5k +vat.

Find one that's been well serviced (not that easy on a van) with the 2.0 engine and then make sure you service it every 10,000 miles and it should be pretty reliable. They are pretty good on fuel as well.

alright everyone,

like it says - need a slightly bigger van than my transit connect so thinking about a vivaro/trafic/primastar

anyone got one / had one - reliabily / sizes / engines / real world mpg etc etc

Vivaro good points:

Reliable
Never rust no matter what you do to one
Handle like a sportscar (albiet a slow one shaped like a box)
Look sexier than Vitos or Transits
40mpg
Nice to drive:bannana:

Bad points
Wiring can be a bit hit and miss (but not a big problem)
Injectors get stuck on the facelift vans with the timing chain
Really old ones had gearbox issues, but addressed in 05
Everyones got one

Vivaro good points:

Reliable
Never rust no matter what you do to one
Handle like a sportscar (albiet a slow one shaped like a box)
Look sexier than Vitos or Transits
40mpg
Nice to drive:bannana:

Bad points
Wiring can be a bit hit and miss (but not a big problem)
Injectors get stuck on the facelift vans with the timing chain
Really old ones had gearbox issues, but addressed in 05
Everyones got one

LOL, it has to be the ugliest van I have ever seen!
What a pile or rubbish, if I was given one I would not even drive it!
Forget it and buy a Vito or a T5

Used in building trade. They drive very well, 2.0 is very nice. Currently two are great with a few sensor faults but the other is a pig with constant issues but they are cheap! Worst van we ever had was a new T5 130hp. So glad it was in warranty, over 35k miles it had about £4000 worth of repaired faults
Best van currently is a 135k mile 2008 transit! Still no rust and just goes and goes. Surprising I know

Thanks for all the replies.

Transit a no no - got one already (as well as the connect) and just a bit too much effort as a daily drive. Vito and T5 also a no no as although my max budget 5k most likely to be spending around 2.5k as it may or may not be a temporary thing (slight change is business)

So out of the lot whats the easiest to drive as the whole reason I bought the Connect was because it drives just the same as a car !

vivaro's/trafic have a really bad blind spot in the mirrors which is probably why a lot of them have panel damage on the lower part of the body, but as said earlier i love mine and have had 2 of them a 1.9dti and the newer 2.0 cdti, no major problems with either of them and i average 34mpg with it loaded up with my tools etc

So out of the lot whats the easiest to drive as the whole reason I bought the Connect was because it drives just the same as a car !

Vivaros do drive well, only its worth finding a LWB one so you can get sheets on board, plus the LWB ones ride a bit better.

At £2.5k you won't struggle to get a clean one.

We were considering a company van and looked at Vivaros.

Initially we were going to lease, but when we looked a bit deeper we found we could buy brand new at around £12K (I think that was + vat but may have been including) and they were selling at 3 years old with 60K miles on at around £9K + vat.

Show me any Mercedes van that costs £3K over 3 years with full manufactures warranty.

I bought a new Vito 115Cdi Auto in late 2004. It was the worst built most unreliable new vehicle I'd ever bought.

All this talk of Vivaros has got banner ads on the forum for them £11999 at NOW Vauxhall, new one is a bit of a dogs dinner styling wise though.

Red C220 said:
We were considering a company van and looked at Vivaros. Initially we were going to lease, but when we looked a bit deeper we found we could buy brand new at around £12K (I think that was + vat but may have been including) and they were selling at 3 years old with 60K miles on at around £9K + vat. Show me any Mercedes van that costs £3K over 3 years with full manufactures warranty. I bought a new Vito 115Cdi Auto in late 2004. It was the worst built most unreliable new vehicle I'd ever bought.
the vivaro is a ok van ,but the Vito is far superior than a vivaro. I bought my vito in 2012 and is a pleasure to own they can't even be compared. Takes better the weight, feels more solid ,the build quality are worlds apart and is much faster!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom