Tanks, again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Godot

Advocatus Diaboli in a Rest Home for the Terminall
Car
A180 CDI Elegance Auto 3 Door Panoramic Sun Roof, Bi Xenons
This may appeal, or not, as the case may be.

I recently posted on my Regiment's Old Comrade's Forum the Following :

616ca5d9.jpg

In the aftermath of the failed Arnhem offensive the British 6th Guards Tank Brigade was engaged in heavy fighting to gain control of the small Dutch village called Overloon. It was during these fierce battles that tankers of the 4th Armoured Battalion - Coldstream Guards, one of the 2 tank battalions in the brigade, entered a large barn, only to find a Panther tank of the PanzerAbteiling 2, Panzer Brigade 107.

After some adjustments were made to the appearance of the vehicle this Panther was used to help the artillery barrage on the Geijsteren castle, just north of Venlo, on the Meuse River. The tank was christened “Cuckoo”, which seems to be an appropriate name for such a strange “bird”

In the artillery bombardment on the castle, Cuckoo proved to be a worthy newcomer. After an infantry attack at the castle failed, the decision was made to bombard the castle with artillery. “ The 95mms were a great success, but “Cuckoo”, [………], did best of all, hurling its shells through selected windows with unfailing precision.”

Later, during operation “Blackcock” (In an area to the south of Venlo) Cuckoo was deployed again, now to join in on an attack on the German town called Waldenrath. Cuckoo preformed very well again, it’s mobility was especially noticeable.

The historian wrote; “The road conditions were abominable all day, but whereas the Churchill’s and the Crocodiles, with no ice bars, slid into ditches at every possible opportunity, “Cuckoo” the Panther, eight tons heavier, trundled merrily along with no difficulty at all.”

The next theatre of operations for the 6th Guards Tank Brigade,and the Panther was during operation "Veritable", better known as the battles for the Reichswald. Here Cuckoo's career ended in a sorry way. When heading towards the east of Kleve in Germany the fuel pump broke down, and due to lack of a spare pump the tank had to be abandoned.

Also Photograph here together with things called Staghounds, Humbers & the like

Today comes the reply from a member of the board, with his spell& grammar : (Lou is me)

Thanks to Lou,s thread of German Panther captured in Holland 1944 its a small world my dad was involved in its capture and its further use against the Germans.My dad was a sgt at the time serving with 4th Battallion Coldstream Guards H.Q.tank troop.This mk5 panther was captured in a large barn in the village of Overloon in Holland in oct 1944.the crew surrendered and promtly asked for cigarettes and essen bitter soldaten?My dad has a great photo of the Panzer on the wall at home.He then went on to tell me what happened.LT/COL.A.W.A.Smith D.S.O decided to use the Panther against its former owners in several forthcoming operations and allocates the tank to be used in my dads troop H.Q Tank Troop.The troop tanks where named Eagle,Seagull,Owl,and theA.R.V Ostrich.so Col,Smith named it Cuckoo.Allied identification stars were soon evident on the turret and engine decks.R.A.F. Pilots of TyPhoons and Tempest tank busters gave it a lot of low flying passes as they where very suspicious of the panther mixed in with Churchills.The tank was very fast and manouverable for its size and main armament very accurate and never missed its target.It was used on operations Blackcock near Venlo,then later at Waldenrath during operation Veritable in the Reichwald not far from Kleve.The fuel pump gave constant trouble on its Mayback engine and evetually caught fire and was left to burn out.My dad was a the commander for a short time and he remebers some of the crew after so many years Olly Brown,**** Coyne,Sgt Nesbitt who are deceased.Thanks again to Lou and my dad for this information as he never told me about the photo until i mentioed this.

small world, aint it

Last edited:
This may appeal, or not, as the case may be.

I recently posted on my Regiment's Old Comrade's Forum the Following :

616ca5d9.jpg

In the aftermath of the failed Arnhem offensive the British 6th Guards Tank Brigade was engaged in heavy fighting to gain control of the small Dutch village called Overloon. It was during these fierce battles that tankers of the 4th Armoured Battalion - Coldstream Guards, one of the 2 tank battalions in the brigade, entered a large barn, only to find a Panther tank of the PanzerAbteiling 2, Panzer Brigade 107.

After some adjustments were made to the appearance of the vehicle this Panther was used to help the artillery barrage on the Geijsteren castle, just north of Venlo, on the Meuse River. The tank was christened “Cuckoo”, which seems to be an appropriate name for such a strange “bird”

In the artillery bombardment on the castle, Cuckoo proved to be a worthy newcomer. After an infantry attack at the castle failed, the decision was made to bombard the castle with artillery. “ The 95mms were a great success, but “Cuckoo”, [………], did best of all, hurling its shells through selected windows with unfailing precision.”

Later, during operation “Blackcock” (In an area to the south of Venlo) Cuckoo was deployed again, now to join in on an attack on the German town called Waldenrath. Cuckoo preformed very well again, it’s mobility was especially noticeable.

The historian wrote; “The road conditions were abominable all day, but whereas the Churchill’s and the Crocodiles, with no ice bars, slid into ditches at every possible opportunity, “Cuckoo” the Panther, eight tons heavier, trundled merrily along with no difficulty at all.”

The next theatre of operations for the 6th Guards Tank Brigade,and the Panther was during operation "Veritable", better known as the battles for the Reichswald. Here Cuckoo's career ended in a sorry way. When heading towards the east of Kleve in Germany the fuel pump broke down, and due to lack of a spare pump the tank had to be abandoned.

Also Photograph here together with things called Staghounds, Humbers & the like

Today comes the reply from a member of the board, with his spell& grammar : (Lou is me)

Thanks to Lou,s thread of German Panther captured in Holland 1944 its a small world my dad was involved in its capture and its further use against the Germans.My dad was a sgt at the time serving with 4th Battallion Coldstream Guards H.Q.tank troop.This mk5 panther was captured in a large barn in the village of Overloon in Holland in oct 1944.the crew surrendered and promtly asked for cigarettes and essen bitter soldaten?My dad has a great photo of the Panzer on the wall at home.He then went on to tell me what happened.LT/COL.A.W.A.Smith D.S.O decided to use the Panther against its former owners in several forthcoming operations and allocates the tank to be used in my dads troop H.Q Tank Troop.The troop tanks where named Eagle,Seagull,Owl,and theA.R.V Ostrich.so Col,Smith named it Cuckoo.Allied identification stars were soon evident on the turret and engine decks.R.A.F. Pilots of TyPhoons and Tempest tank busters gave it a lot of low flying passes as they where very suspicious of the panther mixed in with Churchills.The tank was very fast and manouverable for its size and main armament very accurate and never missed its target.It was used on operations Blackcock near Venlo,then later at Waldenrath during operation Veritable in the Reichwald not far from Kleve.The fuel pump gave constant trouble on its Mayback engine and evetually caught fire and was left to burn out.My dad was a the commander for a short time and he remebers some of the crew after so many years Olly Brown,**** Coyne,Sgt Nesbitt who are deceased.Thanks again to Lou and my dad for this information as he never told me about the photo until i mentioed this.

small world, aint it

Are you able to name any other men in the 4th battalion. I am attempting to ascertain which troop/squadron my grandfather was in. His name was Guardsman Philip Parsons 2661924. Does your father remember him? i have photos from his time in the army, including one with his comrades (names unknown) which i have posted on the 6th Guards Tank Brigade facebook page and also one on WW2 talk forum. I have an interest in all aspects of the 4th battalion, so anything you can provide will be of interest. Must apologise about this message not being about cars!

Normally Mocas would be a Centurion on this type of thing. Looks like you're becoming a Challenger J-B-R.

Just substitute "Blue efficiency injectors" and "sorry sir but your car is now out of warranty" at appropriate places and it could be yesterday.:rolleyes:

Great story though.:thumb:

...mind you, if you are into WW2 German tankers - check out the works of Michael Reynolds.

I had 3 of his books for Christmas and his attention to detail is first class.
No stone left unturned, no debate left undebated (if you know what I mean) they are tremendous reads.

Balanced, objective, great stuff.

Steel Inferno: I Panzer Corps in Normandy: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Reynolds: Books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devils-Adju...UTF8&qid=1328048661&sr=1-8&tag=amazon0e9db-21

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sons-Reich-...UTF8&qid=1328048661&sr=1-3&tag=amazon0e9db-21

...mind you, if you are into WW2 German tankers - check out the works of Michael Reynolds.

I had 3 of his books for Christmas and his attention to detail is first class.
No stone left unturned, no debate left undebated (if you know what I mean) they are tremendous reads.

Balanced, objective, great stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Infer...UTF8&qid=1328048661&sr=1-5&tag=amazon0e9db-21

The Devil's Adjutant: Jochen Peiper, Panzer Leader: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Reynolds: 9781848840102: Books

Sons of the Reich: II Panzer Corps, Normandy, Arnhem, Ardennes, Eastern Front (Pen & Sword Military Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Michael Reynolds: 9781848840003: Books

I was reading somewhere, or maybe it was on the tele!! - it was the difference between the American and British tank regiments in WW2 ..I just recall the Americans complained bitterly, cramped, hot, stuck in there all day long whilst the British were typically stiff upper lip ... it's not all that bad, you keep your tea warm by placing it here - and when the call of nature comes , we load it up in the gun and fire it the general direction of Jerry ! :)

One of my friends fathers was Tank core in WW2 - He has a genuine Japanese sword (Samurai esq) handle held to blade with wooden pegs (now rotted away) that he took from an officer somewhere in the world during.

Have a strong feeling that my father was at Arnhem with the Para's.

Simon W

I have reposted the article together with your request/message on my Regiment's "Old Comrades" Forum & will contact you if & when I get a reply :thumb::)

Last edited:
that's great! Thank you and very much appreciated.

simonw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom