tap-tap-tap....are my cam lifters telling me something?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stringer

Car
300E 1987
hi all
i just put back my rockers after changing all the valve seals and i just noticed that one of the cam lifters seems to be sticking - and of course more so when it's cold.

What's the best remedy? take them out and replace them? Are they expensive?
Or can something be done?

thanks for your advice

M in Beirut

crud in cam lifters

its probably here somewhere but these kind of products are hard to find in lebanon.

but heres the question. does it really work? Surely, if the cam is sticking and this stuff cleans out the crud, wouldn't a better solution be to take them out and clean 'em?

M in Beirut

Wynns products really do work but of course you can take them out and clean them, the wynns would just save you a load of time

I saw a demonstration by a Wynns rep years ago, he tipped a tin of Wynns engine oil additive into a Morris Marina, drained the oil, & ran the cars engine for 10 mins with no apparent detrimental effect. Of course we were all egging him on to rev it harder but nevertheless an impressive performance.

I saw a demonstration by a Wynns rep years ago, he tipped a tin of Wynns engine oil additive into a Morris Marina, drained the oil, & ran the cars engine for 10 mins with no apparent detrimental effect. Of course we were all egging him on to rev it harder but nevertheless an impressive performance.

You can run any engine for a considerable time with the oil drained.

You can try dropping two litres of oil and replace it with diesel. Run engine for 30 mins with the odd rev to 2000. Worked for me in the past.

can anyone elaborate?

i mean on how exactly to clean them? blow them through with carb cleaner

Drive it for at least an hour and see if it does not clear itself. I had the same on an overhauled 102 (1989 230e) engine and it cleared itself.

you mean with 2 litres of diesel oil mixed in the sump oil? i have already driven it for 2 hours on the highway but it did not clear but that was not with the diesel oil trick

2 litres of diesel fuel mixed in with the remaining 4 litres of engine oil.

sure but you are saying run it for 30 minutes whereas Louwdj is saying DRIVE it....
confused

Don't drive it with diesel added, there won't be sufficient protection for the bearings.

sure but you are saying run it for 30 minutes whereas Louwdj is saying DRIVE it....
confused

I said run the engine not drive it. So, drop 2l of engine oil, add 2l of diesel (as in fuel) let it idle for 20-30 mins with the odd rev to 2000 as per my original post. Drop all the oil/diesel and refill with fresh oil & new filter. Drive it and see who you get on. If no success (very possibly) do the same again. Other than that change the lifters.

confused

No, I meant just drive the car as is, with the normal oil. Which you now say you have done, without the problem clearing itself.

DON'T drive with the diesel/oil mix. The mix is meant to be a flushing mixture. Only run for max 30 minutes. If that does not clear it, you're in for a dismantle and then rinse the lifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom