Tap Water mix in Coolant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
I'm replacing a whiney coolant pump on the 646 211.
So I'll do a flush and coolant replacement.
I'm going to drop the coolant and flush with tap water, then drop that.

I've picked up the ECP triple QC concentrate and will use that at approx 50 / 50 ratio for the new fill.

We are in a soft water area and in the past I've just used tap water for this. While some purists will tell me my engine will disintegrate before my eyes what are the real world thoughts?

I'm replacing a whiney coolant pump on the 646 211.
So I'll do a flush and coolant replacement.
I'm going to drop the coolant and flush with tap water, then drop that.

I've picked up the ECP triple QC concentrate and will use that at approx 50 / 50 ratio for the new fill.

We are in a soft water area and in the past I've just used tap water for this. While some purists will tell me my engine will disintegrate before my eyes what are the real world thoughts?
I won't tell you that you're engine will disintegrate, but by asking the question it makes me wonder if you have doubts.

Genuine Mb coolant will unquestionably be more expensive, but will be OK long-term, or at least until the expiry date. So....a few quid saved against possible long-term corrosion problems?

Ernie

Reactions: m80
What are your thoughts on waterless coolants

What are your thoughts on waterless coolants
I thought you might be pullin me leg, but thought 'have a look' before making comment.

It looks expensive, and while it may have some perceived benefit I would view that most engines can run for so many miles and years and don't generally give up due to corrosion. So in short no practical benefit, imho.

I actually have 5L of de ionised water on the shelf, in with so many other forgotten products. For how many years it's been there I can't remember, but it'll do this time.
And for a few quids I'll get some more for when I get around to sorting the Viano 651 engine (resting for BS emissions reasons)

My reason for asking is that it's so easy to get hung up on placebo, snake oil this and that's, so why spend quids if I don't really have to?

There is a spec in the cars owners manual for coolant water quality. What it comes down to in practice is that if you live in a hard water area then tap water should not be used. I bought deionised water cheaply from the supermarket and use that for topping up.

On the coolant, the issue is how long it lasts in terms of inhibiting corrosion. MB coolant will last for 10 years, The ECP stuff I think only 5 years.

On the coolant, the issue is how long it lasts in terms of inhibiting corrosion. MB coolant will last for 10 years, The ECP stuff I think only 5 years.
Yep that's correct about the ECP, I thought MB rated theirs for 15 years though.
The difference in cost is significant.

I'm still persuading Mrs Me that the 211 is far superior to her Civic, but she is pushing for a 212, because it has nicer headlights. But the diesel also has a flippin' DPF and for her 7 mile commute that's a no no.

So really doing all I'm doing might just be to the advantage of a future owner.
Fresh oil, all belts and filters.
ATF service,
new water pump, flushed and replaced coolant.

I might be getting carried away here as I'm looking at the wheels and thinking City Powder Coat would make them look tasty, with new boots on of course.

And I only bought it as a stop gap van.

We are in a soft water area and in the past I've just used tap water for this.
Seems MB agree with you:

eee.png

If you were changing your coolant once, even in a hard water area, with a 50/50 tap water mix, common sense suggests that the amount of limescale deposited would be minuscule. Your kettle doesn't scale up after one boil, does it?

Apropos using MB's own coolant, nowadays they specify a coolant change after 15 years/150k miles. Does anybody know what is so special about their coolant, that it lasts so long? (I recall seeing a statement somewhere that their expansion tanks have an extra additive reservoir built into them, but I have my doubts...).

Well get a decent anti freeze and go 50% with tap water and do not worry about limescale or anything else,you would be surprised how little anti freeze you need in water to stop your engine being damaged,lets face it over even 5 years you might need a new water pump or a hose gives up,my advice is keep it simple do not over think it.

No problem with flushing it out with your tap water. If you'r worried about re filling, put the correct amount of A/freeze in then top up with with boiled water or rain water. Filtered of course.

I've always boiled my tap water first to remove the calcium and help soften the water.

I have a customer who supplies his own distilled water for every coolant change. He’s the only one. Distilled water is very cheap, so if it bothers you it isn’t really a big deal

I have a customer who supplies his own distilled water for every coolant change. He’s the only one. Distilled water is very cheap, so if it bothers you it isn’t really a big deal
This is what I used to do too, eventually I just gave up and let the garage use whatever it is they use with MB antifreeze though... no issues whatsoever :)

I've always boiled my tap water first to remove the calcium and help soften the water.
That will have the reverse effect, you’re losing water as steam increasing the concentration of whatever is in solution.

I use tap water and i have done for years .And this one i have i have no way to open drain tap on the block . So i just flush and flush till its clear then fill up,, then pull the bottom hose ,,replace it and put the quantity of antefreeze in till its 50/50 strength run the engine till its mixed it up and check with the tester . If weak i add more a/f .

That will have the reverse effect, you’re losing water as steam increasing the concentration of whatever is in solution.
Incorrect. Boiling tap water reduces the amount of carbonate hardness. The carbonate hardness that can be gotten rid of by boiling includes calcium hydroxide, calcium bicarbonate, and calcium carbonate. Limescale is calcium carbonate.

You might be right,, but i have no option but to use t/water . Tap water did not do my cars any harm in 50 years. Just about to fill up again after coolant pump replacment . Did you see the picture on the reverse of the bottle from MB picture of a tap ./

You might be right,, but i have no option but to use t/water . Tap water did not do my cars any harm in 50 years. Just about to fill up again after coolant pump replacment . Did you see the picture on the reverse of the bottle from MB picture of a tap ./

Quite, that was all we had in the good old days. It was always tap water. I don't recall hearing of any engines disintegrating because of it, even the alloy engined Hillman Imp :rolleyes:

Used it in my Sunbeam Rapier with Holbay engine .Along with my Jaguar 3.8 never had problems ,,more like body rusrt haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom