Tape around pipe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jryans10

Car
Mercedes-Benz A140
Hi everyone,

I've just noticed this tape around a pipe under my bonnett in my Mercedes-Benz A140 (2000). Any idea's what it is and how much it would cost to fix and is it anything to worry about? I can only presume that there must be a hole or something.

I have circled it:
timzO.jpg

Thanks!

That pipe is the fresh air feed to the air filter, nothing to worry about and it wont cause you any problems. :)

You guess right, not sure if Euro Car Parts or similar would do a replacement, if not either a MB breakers or dealer, hopefully it wont be too expensive to replace

I forgot about Ebay:doh:

Unless it really grates, forget about it, no more than a fix for a bit of cracked plastic.

I would take the fact that somebody has actually bothered to find and fix as a good sign

It's a common thing, apparently - both my A190 and A160 had this air intake hose broken and in exactly same place. I bought a new one for A190 for $30 in Nassau from local MB, but decided to use tape for A160, unless I can find a very cheap replacement. When I took the [newly acquired] A160 to PCS, Olly said there's nothing to worry about, and that's all I need to know :thumb: The hose was not even fixed then, now it looks like yours, although I used a stronger tape rated up to 80ºC, if you believe the label :cool:

It's about £7 from the dealer .

Thanks Howard,

It's really weird, that in Nassau I thought $30 was a bargain yet here I would NOT pay £19 for this part ... :dk:
Found and ordered it last night from the same place you recommend, after checking part numbers on one of those Russian sites :thumb:

Thanks. How would I go abouts fitting this, or will I need to get a mechanic to do it for me?

Thanks,
- John.

No, it's very simple:
a. unclip (by pushing slightly upwards) pipe socket and pull it out;
b. pull back the air intake hose from the socket, then it'll come off of the air filter box
done :)

Here's a diagram.

Last edited:
a. unclip (by pushing slightly upwards) pipe socket and pull it out;

CORRECTION: to unclip the pipe socket push the top of it slightly down, then pull out :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom