tapety tap tap m103

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stringer

Car
300E 1987
any advice appreciated on changing a cam lifter. Or is it really as simple as popping the old one out and pushing a new one in?
I"m guessing there's more to it than that but I tried the Wyns-type treatment and it didn't work so i thought i might as well buy an aftermarket one for about 5 quid.

but if there's anything to look out for, please let me know

much appreciated

mj

Last edited:
I had the same issue many years ago....after speaking to my indi, I left it to tap away as apparently its a cam shaft out job and its hard to diagnose which lifter it would be, so all 6 would have had to be replaced.

I had the same issue many years ago....after speaking to my indi, I left it to tap away as apparently its a cam shaft out job and its hard to diagnose which lifter it would be, so all 6 would have had to be replaced.

... And a replacement cam shaft, if you are going to do the job properly.
:(

aren'y you both getting carried away though? We're talking about cam lifters which are notorious for getting stuck when the tiny springs inside wear out, no?

The M103 is a 6 cylinder engine, two valves per cylinder so 12 hydraulic elements.
If you want to skimp then surely you can use the stethoscope technique to pinpoint the area where the noise is coming from (engine running) Then the push method (with cam cover removed) to further consolidate the diagnosis to the one that is faulty (the tappet element will have give compared to the rest).

Martin

Use another indi !!!

It is not a cam out job. You simply remove the rocker assembly and then replace the hydro lifters. The cam sits below the lifters and rocker assembly.

i did actually want to say to VLad that his mechanic is taking him for a ride if he's telling him that. Maybe he didnt spot that mine is a M103 engine so the cam is beneath, not on top. Anyway, he's from Reading, so let's not be too hard on the lad

mj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom