Tappet Adjustment E300TD W210 Om606 1999

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nigelwu

Car
e320
My tappets seem rather noisey. Are these adjustable and if so does anyone know of a good video or thread that might assist me. I'm only a DIYer so if it's considered to be a tricky job please warn me!

These engines are quite noisy.
The ticky / clattery noise rather shocked me when I bought my second one, which was even noisier than my first.
It's unlikely to be tappet / lifter noise.
As far as I know, these engines have hydraulic self-adjusting lifters which probably can't be adjusted.
I've driven over 200,000 miles in E300TD cars.
Apart from normal servicing, the only engine jobs I ever had to do were as follows (from my maintenance log):

229000 miles: Changed glow plugs; Replaced diesel delivery valve seals and copper washers; Changed plastic pipe seals of diesel feed and some of the plastic pipes; Replaced main diesel supply rubber pipe to DIP; Replaced faulty diesel shut-off valve

These engines are pretty-much bomb-proof and have a reputation for being million-milers !

Johnsco thank you for your comments. I've done some further searching after posting and come up with the same as you. It looks like after sometime in the 80's MB went fully non-adjustable tappets. So that's one less job to consider. For comparison this car has 67k miles and I've had the plugs done twice and I recently replaced the fuel SO solenoid which was leaking back through the connector. My big issue with the car has never really been the engine it was the awful bodywork/rust problems- but best I don't get too far into that subject- it always winds me up!

+1 nigelwu.
The corrosion issue with these cars was a disgrace.
I had replacement front wings to my first (of 2) E300TDs and to the E430 (facelift).
The E300TDs were 1997 and 1998 respectively ...... Both equally bad.
The E430 was year 2002 and there was no improvement.
You may have seen my comment on another recent thread regarding the front spring perches.
These corrode and rip away from the inner wings.
Check regularly !
I had to replace on all three W210 cars.
Enjoy your E300TD.
I bought both of mine with high milage towards the end of their lives.
They were good work-horses.
Both died at around 230,000 miles .... Both written off in accidents.

Johnsco I assume the accidents were the other objects fault!
That's interesting for me about your rust issues. I also had one of the front wings replaced. Initially paid for very relucantly by MB but subsequently they didn't want to know inspite of meeting all the conditions of their worthless Mobilo Life anti perforation warranty. After that I've paid various bodyshops to arrest the rust but it is a never ending fight that I'm tiring of after 22 years. 'Disgrace' is putting it politely.
I'm aware that the spring perches are a major problem area but so far they have held out reasonably well- I've always pressure washed under the arches- perhaps that has helped a little?
I recently discovered that the cross member of the front subframe is another area that is prone to rust - I've just got in a reinforcement plate that MB make specifically to repair this area- just need to find a competant welder to do fit it (MB don't do welding anymore!).
I have always thought that it was only my year ie 1999 that suffered these issues because MB purchased some sub standard steel sheet from the Far East. I'm horrified to hear that it clearly went on for years before and after. Such a shame.

I had a w124 e300d estate for quite a long time and that was just the same - bomb proof mechanicals but a battle fighting the rust - it was still going strong at 320,000 miles but the rust was too much to deal with.

Regarding my write-off accidents for the two E300TDs ....
One was not my fault - I was rammed by a boy-racer who was driving up the wrong side of the road to avoid a traffic queue.
I saw him coming and put my foot on the brake.
I had nowhere to go and he just hit me.
The second write-off was my own fault.
I skidded on a country road covered in cow shit and hit the bank.
Ouch !!

They were good cars. Made before DPFs and all this sensor nonsense. Mine did starship miles, didn`t use oil or water, and could run on biodiesel if needed. I had to fit new inner wishbone bushes, a few fuel plastic pipes and seals like johnsco and two new front wings.
Pity about the bodyshells.

I had a 99 E300td and still miss it sometimes.It was noisy on tappets...I did a couple of short oil changes with minor benefit. I was considering doing a Liqui Moly purge via the fuel filter (I think) to try and calm the tappets down, but then I sold it. Maybe someone has tried and comment on it's effectiveness.

Sorry about the bold font 🙃..

I don't think the noise was tappet noise.
As far as I know, these cars had hydraulic lifters / tappets, which are self-adjusting.
The rattle is typical of older-type injector pump diesel engines.
[Before the days of common-rail diesel engines]
Quite normal - But a little-disconcerting at first.
The engines were super-reliable - I always considered the E300TD a good, comfortable work-horse.

+1 nigelwu.
The corrosion issue with these cars was a disgrace.
I had replacement front wings to my first (of 2) E300TDs and to the E430 (facelift).
The E300TDs were 1997 and 1998 respectively ...... Both equally bad.
The E430 was year 2002 and there was no improvement.
You may have seen my comment on another recent thread regarding the front spring perches.
These corrode and rip away from the inner wings.
Check regularly !
I had to replace on all three W210 cars.
Enjoy your E300TD.
I bought both of mine with high milage towards the end of their lives.
They were good work-horses.
Both died at around 230,000 miles .... Both written off in accidents.
I had two as well. One from 1999 which did stellar miles and had all 5 doors replaced under warranty and then had the spring perch collapse, and another low mileage 2001 which also rusted. Great cars mechanically, but made of corrosion.

If you think you have valvetrain noise on a OM606 check the aux belt tensioner at the front of the engine, when the bushes are worn it makes a noise that's often mistaken for tappets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom