tappet noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert.farmer

Car
the only car is a Merc
Hi everybody, sorry ,nothing too exciting,have only got an old 200te estate,my first Merc bought a month ago. I don't know much about them but am learning fast as i find more and more faults. The latest one is that of a (sounds like) tappet noise when started from cold,this lasts for about 30 seconds and then everything is fine,it is also a bad starter in the mornings,when hot it is ok. I suppose an engine flush is in order for starters. It has done 122.000k and is a 1990. Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks Rob

Ps would like to show a piccy but don't know how??

I would check spark plugs, rotor and distributor cap first. Then look at the coolant temperature sensor if you're having trouble starting when cold. You'll need a multimeter to diagnose the various fuel injection sensors. Also a CD/Manual to get the correct values for the sensors. http://www.mercedesshop.com/ is a good place to search or ask here. I only have 190 info but a lot of the sensors are the same. You probably have KE-Jetronic like me I presume.

I have the same tappet noise on my 190E with 103,000. Obviously check you're not low on oil. Most likely top end wear like worn rockers, tappets, camshaft etc. What's your idling hot oil pressure like?

Last edited:
thanks Brian
Will not be on 'till Tues night, will send you a pm if i may.
Car has had new plugs, leads and dist'b cap so it could be injectors will have them checked, Thought the tappet noise could be timing chain tensioner, read somewhere they need changing every 100k, don't suppose it has ever been done,have been told its quite easy though,going to have an engine flush next week first. Thanks guys will let you know how i get on . Regards Rob

Thanks also to UKEVO your car looks just great ROb

UKEVO, sorry my oil is good needle goes right to the top within seconds of starting and stays there even when hot and idling.Rob

the tapping noise could be the following

normal for a high miler engine.

blocked oil filter/oil change due-i like you tried morris's engine oil flush from german and swedish-it did not cure the noise on startup fom cold but the engine oil is now clean looking on the dipstick

worn hydraulic valve lifter/s or worn timing chain tensioner.

some people just turn up the volume on the incar radio!! as a cure.:D

I have a horrible habbit of turnig radio every 2 mins to see if it is still there, have a very good friend who has a merc the same as mine with 248k on clock, auto though,mines a manual, not a very nice box, too slow in changing, but hey its a big car and i,m told manuals were not that good,but then i know nothing about Mercs and have said before am learning fast, so many small faults,BUT i will not be beaten, i will carry on to the death, of me or car i don't know, i'm waffling, engine flush next week and then go from there. All the best Rob

Apologies for bad spelling, i'm tired, Message for Brian, sorry not to get in touch tonight but have not forgotten your kind offer, will get in touch soon. Thanks Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom