Tappets sounding engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxg

Car
CL 600
Oh oh my car has suddenly developed a tappet sounding noise (recently had a B service).
The one thing about these cars was the engine (I thought was very reliable). Its only done 60k. Or could it be something ealse. If it is the tappets whats the usual cost (it goes into my local very good indi) or at least a rough idea.
:dk:

Are you hearing it outside the car, or can you hear the sound behind the speedo inside the car?

I had a tappety sound coming in inside my 240 for a couple of years now that mechanics used to say its normal, normal outside the car but I could hear it inside.

It was the steering column grommet after all the reading on forums and worrying, my latest mechanic picked it up straight away.

Changed it, absolute silence inside.

Are you hearing it outside the car, or can you hear the sound behind the speedo inside the car?

I had a tappety sound coming in inside my 240 for a couple of years now that mechanics used to say its normal, normal outside the car but I could hear it inside.

It was the steering column grommet after all the reading on forums and worrying, my latest mechanic picked it up straight away.

Hear the sound outside the car, windows closed cant hear it.

Oh oh my car has suddenly developed a tappet sounding noise (recently had a B service).
The one thing about these cars was the engine (I thought was very reliable). Its only done 60k. Or could it be something ealse. If it is the tappets whats the usual cost (it goes into my local very good indi) or at least a rough idea.
:dk:

A 600 reliable!!

Does the sound increase with revs?

Where is this grommet exactly?

A 600 reliable!!

Does the sound increase with revs?

no stays at the same audible level but the frequency of the sound increases.

Sorry not meaning to hijack the thread, but the steering column grommet on the w210s must be quite common to have split and the cabin will get noisier. Honestly I thought my car was getting tappety even at 80k-90k miles, I was really puzzled.

Anyway you can follow the steering column from the engine bay and it is the conical shape grommet at the top of the steering column when entering the bulkhead. It is such a simple fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom