tapping noise when in gear but stationary ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Braincrank

Car
Mercedes 200E
Hello all,
A couple of months ago the old Benz started to make a strange tapping noise when stopping with gear leaver in D .
As soon as I put it in N the noise stops .
I tried everything to figure out where it's coming from but no joy.
I stopped the car against a wall , in gear so I could listen to it but no clue.
First I thought it might be the tap heads but they are linked to the oil pressure (as far as I'm aware) , and it doesn't make much sense that the noise is gone when the engine is idling in neutral .
I checked everything I could think of.
A mate suggested to change the engine mounts but I can't see how they can cause that noise and why it only appears at standstill in gear ...
Anyone has got any ideas where to start looking ?
Any info is greatly appreciated !!

Is it a light tap or a heavier knock? Does it do it when driving under load?

It's quite a loud knocking/tapping noise. Doesn't do it under load , only when stationary and in gear .

Checked the ATF level?
Gearbox mount OK?

As well as the mounts, I'd also be looking for something external knocking on a casing somewhere. Can you get it on a lift where you can get a good listen from underneath?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that and it turned out to be a loose mount which was causing the muffler to bang against the body of the car.

I believe a certain amount of noise when in drive and pulling against the brake while stationary is actually quite normal, or at least that is what I've been told by my mechanic. Mine makes a kind of "click click" noise. Hard to describe but it has fresh fluid / filter and works perfectly so I am not worried.

I had a similar noise, not on tickover, only in drive but unlike yours under slight load. I have a W211. Wayne Gates of Harrow replaced mine and noise much improved. As I said my symptoms were slightly different ie happened in gear but under load.

I haven't had the chance to investigate any further. I also don't have the luxury of a ramp in my non-existing garage /-: therefore I'm waiting for a nice , dry day to crawl underneath it , jack it up.
I had the car now for 16 years and it is definitely a 'new' noise to me .
I had a similar noise once that was audible during idle and slow movement and vanished when the revs went up and it turned out to be the little damper that's connected to the belt tightener.
Anyway, I keep you posted once I've had another good look around .
In the meantime if you have any more suggestions please keep them coming (-:

Right, it seems that the noise is the engine mount after all .
Now i just have to find some time and a dry day to do it ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom