Tapping sound W211 E280 OM642 engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abgoel

Car
Mercedes E280
I got engine overhauled at 138K due to water problem and now got oil and filter change at 141K. After the oil change, there is a tapping sound that you can hear near driver side wheel and under the hood, it is coming from somewhere engine top.

I don't think it was there after the overhaul and only started coming after the oil change.

here is the link to the sound video on dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyi6ytuuem..._0638.MOV?dl=0

Any advice

I got it checked from MB service guy and he said it is a standard engine noise and should be ok for you to drive though I do not fully trust them.

I am waiting for the advice. Anyone please help as I know MB service is not very trustworthy based on my experience.

Sounds to me like a lazy tappet, but others can say. Not sure how it could be linked to an oil change, though, unless during the short time after start up when the oil pressure was still coming up.

Sometimes a flush with a flushing oil can help to loosen any crud that might be causing it to stick.

See what others say.

Ernie

If the ticking/tapping noise appeared straight after the oil change then its likely a crankshaft bearing pre-failure symptom. Had this exact same situation on my dad's W211 2006 E280 CDI and after some research it appeared the likely cause of the noise was the crankshaft bearing issue. This is not common on the CDI engine but is not an unknown topic in the M-B forums. The general rule of thumb is that this fault occurs on the earlier 2005/2006 era engines however not fully sure about this. See the following thread for an example:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/87154-320-cdi-main-crankshaft-bearing-failure.html

Labour costs are high although the parts cost is low, if repair is required.

Got everything checked with MB and it is fine. They changed idler pulley and belt and ticking sound was ok. I drove for another 1000 miles and now there is a single hammer ticking coming and it starts at speed of 40 and frequency increases with speed. It is not there at idle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please check my message and advice what your opinion is.

Sounds to me like a lazy tappet, but others can say. Not sure how it could be linked to an oil change, though, unless during the short time after start up when the oil pressure was still coming up.

Sometimes a flush with a flushing oil can help to loosen any crud that might be causing it to stick.

See what others say.

Ernie

Can you please advice a good flushin oil and any advice on how we can do it ?

That noise is normal.

Thanks. I have now reached to a different problem that there is a single knocking that starts at a speed of 40 and frequency of knock increases with speed. And the knock is a single point knock and not multiple points ( at least that is what I feel)

Thanks. I have now reached to a different problem that there is a single knocking that starts at a speed of 40 and frequency of knock increases with speed. And the knock is a single point knock and not multiple points ( at least that is what I feel)

Waiting for advice on new issue. Have to take to mechanic and he is delaying everyday as he needs to spend time on a problem he thinks he won't make money. Waiting for possibilities and options I should go for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom