Tar removal on plastic - any advice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michele

Car
NA
Hi all

What would you use to remove stubborn tar and insects from plastic? Tardis is typically recommended for tar, but I wonder if it safe to use on chrome grills and headlamps, in particular?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Michele

Michele - are you actually in the US?

Point being not sure how products map across between UK and US but here I use autoglym intensive tar remover for removing tar spots. I have a can of tardis in my garage but still prefer the autoglym product as it doesn't need mixing or anything and is ready to use from the small bottle.

Autoglym also do a bug remover product but I don't have that.

Regular washing and a good protective base product helps in the longer term.

Dunc

AG cant be beaten top product on paint, chrome, plastic and glass :thumb:

Michele - are you actually in the US?

Point being not sure how products map across between UK and US but here I use autoglym intensive tar remover for removing tar spots. I have a can of tardis in my garage but still prefer the autoglym product as it doesn't need mixing or anything and is ready to use from the small bottle.

Autoglym also do a bug remover product but I don't have that.

Regular washing and a good protective base product helps in the longer term.

Dunc

UK, mate! Am in London.

I used autoglym before, was ok but not super strong, I thought.

My key concern is using autoglym or Tardis on headlights and chrome around the grille - not sure if the headlights would appreciate that! Any experience? I cannot remove some deposits on headlights no matter what.

Have not tried WD40, any kinder to paint or plastic then the above?

Most plastic lenses have a hard coating applied to them which is not resistant to petroleum-based products. I have personally ruined a screen on a Honda motorcycle by using AG Intensive Tar Remover to remove multiple tar spots picked up in France, so speak from experience.

I think WD40 is fish oil isn't it....??

Thanks everyone, will give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom