Tar Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
The other day after washing ML with Zymol auto wash as usual, on running my hand over the bodywork, I was dismayed to find it was covered in tiny spots of tar (even the mirrors). Ah, I thought, this is the chance to use the Xymol Cleaner Wax ( removes small blemishes etc, it states on the container).
However no amount of rubbing removed the tar spots. Then I tried Autogylm Radiant Wax- which worked a treat and with no real effort. Seeing I had the magic Zymol cleaner wax, I thought I would try it. It was easy to apply and remove until following the instructions, I sprayed a fine mist of water. This time round it required a tremendous amount of effort to achieve a decent smear free finish. While I love the smell of Zymol, I am not sure if I will rush to use it again especially as it is recommended to repeat the exercise 3-4 times a year. So there is no promise that the finish will be long lasting. Is there a better way of curing the tar problem?

l5foye said:
The other day after washing ML with Zymol auto wash as usual, on running my hand over the bodywork, I was dismayed to find it was covered in tiny spots of tar (even the mirrors). Ah, I thought, this is the chance to use the Xymol Cleaner Wax ( removes small blemishes etc, it states on the container).
However no amount of rubbing removed the tar spots. Then I tried Autogylm Radiant Wax- which worked a treat and with no real effort. Seeing I had the magic Zymol cleaner wax, I thought I would try it. It was easy to apply and remove until following the instructions, I sprayed a fine mist of water. This time round it required a tremendous amount of effort to achieve a decent smear free finish. While I love the smell of Zymol, I am not sure if I will rush to use it again especially as it is recommended to repeat the exercise 3-4 times a year. So there is no promise that the finish will be long lasting. Is there a better way of curing the tar problem?

The Zymol cleaner wax isn't the proper stuff, just something that will sell to Helfords customers. In any event, it isnt designed for tar removal. Buy the proper Zymol waxes from £40 upwards and you wont be disappointed.

For the future, Autoglym have a specific product called "Intensive Tar Remover" which works exceedingly well but is very high in solvent and I'd imagine not too good for your paintwork if you used it often .

I use White Spirit @ £1.00 a bottle from DIY places. Works a treat.

Edit - NO I don't drink it.

Ok - a slightly bizarre tip - but I am told it works -

For removal of tar spots on body work use margerine, butter or olive oil. Using these products will NOT remove the wax layer underneath.

Simply rub say margerine over tar spots and leave to settle. Then agitate with fingers and see the tar dissoloving. Then wipe clean with some tissue and buff with a dry towel.

This is from another car forum I use and have not tried it myself.

pammy said:
Ok - a slightly bizarre tip - but I am told it works -

For removal of tar spots on body work use margerine, butter or olive oil. Using these products will NOT remove the wax layer underneath.

Simply rub say margerine over tar spots and leave to settle. Then agitate with fingers and see the tar dissoloving. Then wipe clean with some tissue and buff with a dry towel.

This is from another car forum I use and have not tried it myself.

Thats very true - GregE240 had recoomended the same thing in some earlier posts/threads - have not tried it yet though (but will have to if I get some really stubbourn tar stains).

On another note, Zymol HD Cleanse is supposed to remove tar spots after a few applications before wax is applied - soon I`m going to purchase the zymol concours wax and HD Cleanse, autobathe etc. and try it for the first time.

Flash

Simon said:
I use White Spirit @ £1.00 a bottle from DIY places. Works a treat.

Edit - NO I don't drink it.

Ditto on both counts.

Thank you all for the replies. I will try Pammy's tip. I was being cautious as the paintwork was given some expensive pre-delivery treatment (something similiar to Diamondbright). This is why I ruled out white spirit etc. Anyway the ML now looks like new again ; I touched in all stone chips with the aid of a cocktail stick (better than the brush supplied).

l5foye said:
Is there a better way of curing the tar problem?

Sigh. I had a major tar splatter a few months ago and it still angers me to think of it. Some of the new low-noise road surfaces really chuck it off for a while, but I seemed to have driven through a tar pit. Despite having a full set of mudflaps it took me a whole weeked to sort out the mess on bodywork & wheels

In the end had to use a non aggresive organic solvent to get the tar off, being white spirit. (NB: Take care. Organic solvents will remove wax. Some will remove paint, so try carefully on a hidden area first!)

Wash car in normal way then clean afflicted areas with strong solution of your car shampoo in warm water. Then use white spirit (or Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover if it makes you feel better) & lots of soft kitchen roll to take the gunk off, discarding the bits of soiled K. roll frequently or you will just spread the dissolved tar around. When there is no brown gunk showing on clean solvent moistened K.roll you are done.

Then wash again with normal strength car shampoo, dry off and then indulge in your favourite Zymol wax fetish procedures.

Take strong drink at any point in the above processes.

Satch said:
Sigh. I had a major tar splatter a few months ago and it still angers me to think of it. Some of the new low-noise road surfaces really chuck it off for a while, but I seemed to have driven through a tar pit. Despite having a full set of mudflaps it took me a whole weeked to sort out the mess on bodywork & wheels

In the end had to use a non aggresive organic solvent to get the tar off, being white spirit. (NB: Take care. Organic solvents will remove wax. Some will remove paint, so try carefully on a hidden area first!)

Wash car in normal way then clean afflicted areas with strong solution of your car shampoo in warm water. Then use white spirit (or Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover if it makes you feel better) & lots of soft kitchen roll to take the gunk off, discarding the bits of soiled K. roll frequently or you will just spread the dissolved tar around. When there is no brown gunk showing on clean solvent moistened K.roll you are done.

Then wash again with normal strength car shampoo, dry off and then indulge in your favourite Zymol wax fetish procedures.

Take strong drink at any point in the above processes.

Is the HD Cleanse from Zymol any good for tar stain removal ?

Flash said:
Is the HD Cleanse from Zymol any good for tar stain removal ?

Never tried it on tar.

Autoglym Tar remover is frightenly good :crazy:

I have recently acquired some turtle wax "tar remover", ready to attack the car with. It is in a bright luminous green spray bottle, and looks like it means business ! We shall see . . . .

S.

A bottle of petroleum on a piece of soft cloth works wonders and does not attack the paintwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom