Tar Splodge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
I noticed a 2cm (yes!) tear shaped splodge of something black on my roof (!) last Friday and bought some auto-glym stuff for tar spots from halfords to try and shift it. The black gunky stuff has now completely gone BUT underneath there is still some amber coloured deposit - very thin layer - but incredibly difficult to shift. Its still there after repeated attempts. The splodge might be getting smaller, but I might be imagining it (!) Is there any alternative other than giving it a go every time I go near the car?
Rgds
Les

I always use WD-40 on tar deposits. Let it soak for afew mins and it just comes straight off :bannana:

Margarine is also supposed to be very good and kind to your paintwork - I kid you not! Dab a splodge on and leave it a bit - then wash off. :D

pammy said:
Margarine is also supposed to be very good and kind to your paintwork - I kid you not! Dab a splodge on and leave it a bit - then wash off. :D

I have not actually used maragrine butter yet as in past been lucky enough to flick off with nails but does this technique from ur experience work really well on stubbourn stains? Reason why I ask is because I think I have picked few new spots from some recent road works. I know GregE240 and other did say in previous posts to try it. I'm dreading next wash... I hate it when tiny spots get on to the shiny alloy wheels... :crazy:

Flash

I haven't - but I know folks who have - and they are car nuts too ;)

Peanut butter ? Or is that for black plastic bumpers / trim ... I can never remember !!

marcos said:
I always use WD-40 on tar deposits. Let it soak for afew mins and it just comes straight off :bannana:
Yes WD40 is very effective at removing tar :D

...so if I mix peanut butter, margerine and WD40 in equal proportions I ought to be covered on this :) just got to remember not to put it on any of my sandwiches :D

pepper&boulou said:
Yes WD40 is very effective at removing tar :D

I concur..had nasty tar spots on front lower lips due to new road surfacing and it comes off easily.. :rock:

Does WD40 not strip the layer of wax of paint where butter/maragrine will not ?

Flash

I find Autoglym Extra Gloss or Turtle Wax Gloss Guard (both secondary gloss finishes to standard polish and a blend of petroleum distillates) work well for me, and they are sympathetic to the wax/polish that is already there.

However if the tar mark has been there for over a fortnight or so, I'm not so sure. Works on week old marks anyway.

Technique is to soak it first several times, and the mark comes off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom