Tar spots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
I’ve always had dark coloured cars until I bought my wife’s white convertible. It’s great, I much prefer it to my black estate, but today I thought I would give it a very quick wash and noticed the sides were riddled in tiny black spots.

We’ve only had it a year, but I suppose the winter weather is already taking its toll, something I’ve never noticed on my estate.

There’s no point in doing anything until spring, but what’s the best way to remove the spots without covering the car in tar remover?

You’ve answered your own question - needs some kind of tar remover/solvent to dissolve the tar.

Plenty out there from the usual detailing supplies, otherwise white spirits/WD40 etc would probably do the same sort of job.

Wire wool and Dettol ;)

Or, as has been suggested, a proprietary tar removal solution.

I was concerned it may affect the paint so wondered if there was a softer solution....wire wool[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A cloth lightly dipped in petrol works well. Obviously this will strip polish as well but I imagine all solvents would.

A clay bar will sort that out without resorting to solvents. I would recommend a Bilt Hamber one as the "lubricant" is water.

A clay bar will drag the tar over the surface and mark the paint though.

By comparison a solvent based tar remover will be far kinder to the surface - they don’t harm the paint, but will possibly remove any wax residue present. Far quicker to remove than by using a clay bar as well :)

I’ve found a clay mitt works well, but as Will says you have to gentle to avoid dragging the tar across the paint. For what it’s worth I tried the Autoglym tar remover and was less than impressed. Carb cleaner works well.

I’ve previously used 50/50 white spirit/water then immediately washed the treated area-works well if a little tedious to do.

You can either use a dedicate tar remover, the Autoglym one is sufficient and easy to get hold of. You can use it to get rid of individual spots.

It’s not too harsh although it would remove any kind of wax or sealant on the bodywork.

Alternatively clay will also do the job especially if you have more than a few spots. You’d need to polish and re-protect if you use clay.

The best tar remover I've used is Autosmart Tardis. Far superior to the Autoglym stuff, and pretty much essential if you have a white car (like I used to have!).

I have used Tardis tar removal by Autosmart and it has been effective.

I would encourage you to invest in some Bilt Hamber Surfex HD, the Swiss army knife of All Purpose Cleaners. It is water soluble and with the right dilution you can use it as a snow foam or, at full strength, clean carbonised oil from an engine block! Being biodegradable and containing no VOCs, it is totally safe to use around the home too.

Surfex HD | Multi-Purpose Car Cleaner and Degreaser (APC) - Bilt Hamber

A lot of detailing products are essentially tweaked overpriced versions of more commonplace products.

Unless you’re detailing cars everyday for a living I’d suggest trying a little WD-40 or white spirits if you already have some, I’m pretty sure most of the tar removers on the market are just solvent variations to dissolve the tar.

If you’re going to have to buy something anyway then fair enough :)

A lot of detailing products are essentially tweaked overpriced versions of more commonplace products.

Unless you’re detailing cars everyday for a living I’d suggest trying a little WD-40 or white spirits if you already have some, I’m pretty sure most of the tar removers on the market are just solvent variations to dissolve the tar.

If you’re going to have to buy something anyway then fair enough :)

Very very true. Often different brands are made in the same labs and bottled and labelled. Some surprisingly big names are nothing more than the same company.

And yes anything solvent based will dissolve tar basically.

Much like iron fallout removers, they react to iron and you rinse it off. Tar removers ultimately do the same things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom