Tar "spray" on my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Sue took my car out on the hottest day we had last week and it looks like melted tarmac has sprayed all over the car (see picture - all lower panels both sides are the same) At least that is what I think it is - she has denied doing a quick bit of rallycross! 😲

I know WD40 can remove, but the amount on my car would need commercial quantities! Any tips on how I should proceed safely? Some told me brake cleaner, but that sounds a bit draconian!

IMG_20220724_192134.jpg

WD40 will be fine. As will any tar remover

I suspect WD40 is actually cheaper though. It was £5.59 at screwfix for 600ml
Any particular way to apply it? Don't want to cause issues!

Any particular way to apply it? Don't want to cause issues!
I don’t think there’s a right or wrong way, just give the panel a wipe down with IPA /Panel Wipe after to get the oils off and give it a coat of wax 👍

Personally I would buy some quality tar remover as it’s designed for the job and least likely to affect your paintwork.

Gyeon Tar is a great product, spray, wait and wipe with a microfibre cloth. Buy some good quality microfibre cloths too.

Do use a microfibre cloth - and turn often - to keep the tar you’ve removed away from the paintwork, to minimise spread.

Do use a microfibre cloth - and turn often - to keep the tar you’ve removed away from the paintwork, to minimise spread.
It’s not just avoiding spreading the tar back, tar spots often contain grit too so it’s important to keep that away from the paint.

FWIW, I‘ve found Autosmart Tardis to be excellent, and far better than many other tar removers. Spray on (from a trigger spray), watch the tar spots melt and run, gently wipe of the residue with a microfibre cloth, then rinse with normal shampoo.

Judging by the size of the problem, I’d buy a 5L can of Tardis for about £30 delivered from a variety of eBay sellers.

Most commercial tar removers are based on Naptha - white spirit.

Another vote for tar remover.
Sit on a cushion or a footstool.
But how would I get up again from said cushion or footstool? (reminds me of when I had a Porsche Cayman S for the weekend. Found the best way to get out was to roll out of out onto the ground, then stand up!)
....... and cake to help pass the time ☕🎂😎👍
That's exactly why I am concerned about getting up again!
Cake after you’ve finished
One-track minds you lot!
Always wash your hands before and after a French Fancy. It's the old fashioned way.
Last time I did that, she slapped me.....

Personally I would buy some quality tar remover as it’s designed for the job and least likely to affect your paintwork.

Gyeon Tar is a great product, spray, wait and wipe with a microfibre cloth. Buy some good quality microfibre cloths too.

WD-40 wont harm car paint. Its mineral oil based and has been used for donkeys years across the atlantic to prevent flies sticking to bumpers of cars.

WD-40 wont harm car paint. Its mineral oil based and has been used for donkeys years across the atlantic to prevent flies sticking to bumpers of cars.
Agreed WD40 shouldn’t harm the paint. It’s like a dirt magnet though so it’s best to do a good job of removing it after use.

Agreed WD40 shouldn’t harm the paint. It’s like a dirt magnet though so it’s best to do a good job of removing it after use.
Is it just me that doesn't like the smell of WD40? 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom