Target pricing for services?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jtotheb

Car
Mercedes E350 Cab & GLE350 SUV
My E350 Cabriolet is due its first service shortly. Does anyone have any advice on what target price I should be negotiating with the dealership? I'm based in Surrey.

£357.37 is the quoted price on the MB service website which seems bonkers money tbh! I've had success in the past with them price matching some of the more 'remote' dealerships around the country which would bring that down to around £300.

Anyone had any success on improving on that?

I paid £233 for first service on C200 and I supplied my own Shell Helix Ultra synthetic oil to MB spec which cost me £37 for 10 litres. So total cost £270, and your £300 with oil supplied by the dealer is quite good I'd say.

Car didn't use all the 10 litres, the remaining I use as top up.

Tips for best service prices:

Shop around, try dealers outside your area, and in other dealer groups. Avoid London, Birmingham and their satellites.

Provide your own oil, and replace additional items yourself (eg air filters) before booking, so you can say they've been done.

Ask to speak to someone at the dealership, and not a call centre, as they may have more ability to negotiate. Oh, and ask for a discount.

Ask dealer to confirm that the quoted price is a proper A or B service to maintain Mobilo, and not a "value" service which doesn't renew Mobilo.

After a good price is found, get a service contract for the next 3 services, it should work out cheaper in the long run if you are keeping the car.

Car booked in for service at local dealer for next Tuesday. How do can find out what oil they would use so I can shop around for best price to supply my own?

Are you checking here?:

https://www.mymercedesservice.co.uk/home

Of so then you can get quotes online and compare costs between different dealerships.

My experience is that - as a general rule - web prices tend to be lower than walk-in or phone-in prices.

Did you manage to get a better price than the web price?

Are you checking here?:

https://www.mymercedesservice.co.uk/home

Of so then you can get quotes online and compare costs between different dealerships.

My experience is that - as a general rule - web prices tend to be lower than walk-in or phone-in prices.

Did you manage to get a better price than the web price?

Yes, that's where I'm looking.

I'm waiting for the service department to call me back (once I'd managed to bypass the horrendous call centre and the local dealer receptionists who just divert you straight back to the call centre if you ask to book a service!).

My target price is about £300 - which seems the cheapest for my car in a selection of other MB delears around the country. I've told them I travel regularly and tend to choose to get my car serviced at the cheapest dealer close to where I happen to be that week.

I've also found out what I think is the oil I'd need to get if I wanted to push the price down any further. The service sheet online says:

Oil Type: MB 229.51 (A 000 989 97 01 AAA9)
Oil Quantity: 8.0 litres

...although I'm struggling to find out where I can buy it from.

jtotheb said:
Yes, that's where I'm looking. I'm waiting for the service department to call me back (once I'd managed to bypass the horrendous call centre and the local dealer receptionists who just divert you straight back to the call centre if you ask to book a service!). My target price is about £300 - which seems the cheapest for my car in a selection of other MB delears around the country. I've told them I travel regularly and tend to choose to get my car serviced at the cheapest dealer close to where I happen to be that week. I've also found out what I think is the oil I'd need to get if I wanted to push the price down any further. The service sheet online says: Oil Type: MB 229.51 (A 000 989 97 01 AAA9) Oil Quantity: 8.0 litres ...although I'm struggling to find out where I can buy it from.

Sorry for butting in but I just saw this. Not sure how good a deal that is.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/122097039105?_mwBanner=1

Just buy your oil from the main dealer parts counter. It's ~£60 for 20 litres.

Update post service. I managed to negotiate the first A service down to £317 from £357. That with them supplying everything including oil.

£317...ouch - that is certainly a Surrey price! My dad is about to get an A service on his W212 for £200 from the local MB dealer (Robinsons/Norfolk).

Yup. Painful innit. However, the cheapest I found anywhere in the country was about £297.

When comparing prices, you need to consider whether quoted prices include or exclude additional items, as these are on top of the the A or B service cost.

Yes, very true and it's not immediately apparent from the ESS tool. Nothing like speaking to someone!

I wonder if being a cabriolet the car takes longer to service due to the hood mechanism as it must need some maintenance but not necessarily annually.

How old is this car? Seems a normal price for a newish car what did you expect, a quick go over of the car at the dealership and throw them £200? Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom