Tarnished aluminium trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My red car has a lot of aluminium trim that was pretty badly tarnished. Using Autosol got rid of much of the tarnish but still pretty flat to look at:

ali1_zps926b1e32.jpg

By chance I was using Meguiars Ultimate protectant on some of the black finish by the aluminium, and some of it ended up there - I wiped it off to notice there was much more of a sparkle and a richer finish. (photos taken with lousy iPhone but entirely unmanipulated). Not sure how long it will last, but definitely much better than untreated! Other tips for aluminium polishing welcome!

ali2_zpsf4197c74.jpg

Do I get a prize for guessing the car ;) :cool:

Guess away.

The prize would be a mug of tea and a drive!

Bmw M5 3.4 :D

Looks the same to me. It's your imagination?

Was the aluminium bare? Normally when used as trim on cars, it normally has a clear coat, even on many classic cars. So normal process is to treat it like the rest of the paint on the car and use a paint compound polish, followed by refining polish.

If it's bare, you'll need to wet sand with a fine grit and then use a metal refining polish. Be aware that the finish won't last for long. However you could use one of modern sealants like Gtechniq C1/C4 to seal it in for ~2 years. You can then use a sealant like C2 or a wax to give it a bit more gloss.

cheers, Steve

Steve - I'd say whatever clear coat there was originally has gone (it's 30 years old - I suspect someone has used chrome polish with ill effect). So sanding, metal refining polish sounds like the way to go!

Wheeler dealers refurbed a frog eyed sprite and they had the aluminium trims professionally repolished the section on the programme that covers it is about 18 minutes into the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqlsoNVjAI8

Charles, I presume this trim was silver originally?

The SL's trim pieces could do with improvement but unfortunately they're gunmetal so I suspect replacement is the only option.

I have used Metal Polishing Supplies with success in the past.
Their site shows their own YouTube video tutorials and they have a wide range of pastes, mops and sealants. LINK.

Around 10 miles from PCS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom