Tatoo v Bracelet - Medical Emergency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Friends

I have been diagnosed as "hypoglycemic" and advised that I should be wearing a "hypoglycemic" ID bracelet or neck chain.

Vanity gets in the way of function here:

The bracelets, I find uncomfortable and annoying and the neck chains, give a similar result. I have no wish to look like 'medallion man' and that may be at the heart of the issue. Equally I have no desire to be dead, so should ensure that I have some form of ID on (attached)my person.

A Paramedic friend suggested a Wrist Tatoo. What do the panel think?

I do not wish lectures about tatoos and their appeal or otherwise please? This is purely about function and life saving.

Paramedics and the like are trained to check wrists etc for emergency tags, marks, bracelets etc. So a tatoo would be visible to them. It do not have to have it looking like I am in a Popeye the Sailor contest. Just a discreet band on my wrist.

Any ideas, thoughts or even better, examples, please.

Bruce

I would go for the wrist Tatoo Bruce , chain or bracelet could be left off accidentally. :thumb:

I would go for the wrist Tatoo Bruce , chain or bracelet could be left off accidentally. :thumb:

I am assuming that whatever medical information included in the tatoo will remain unchanged for life?

There are bracelets with a wristwatch type strap so the container looks like a faceless watch.

I wouldn't go for the tattoo because, heaven forbid, something changes or another condition arises, that's an alteration or an addition.

Here's one example
SOS Talisman Bracelets ? Watch Style Leather or Gold Medical ID

There are several different types about that use rubber, cloth with velcro etc
e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Y10BOQY/?tag=amazon0e9db-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00H6ZHEBA/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Last edited:
When I saw this, without reading all the through, the thought that occurred to me was could you get a custom watch strap, assuming that you wear a watch, that lists your information? I'm thinking maybe leather with the details etched and inked into the hide possibly?

Hi Bruce

I have been wearing a medi-tag bracelet since being diagnosed with Addison's Disease in 2006. Not only does it convey my name and the details of my condition, it also has the medi-tag control telephone number, so any medics (in the UK or abroad) can ring in for details.

I used to find it annoying but quickly got used to it and apart from when washing the car (no scratches please), I never take it off (it's stainless steel and silver).

As someone has posted, if your medical conditions change, the tattoo could need modifying?

Whatever you choose though, something is better than nothing - just hope that the hard-pressed First Responder, Ambo technician, Paramedic etc notices it?

Regards
Phil

That's a valid point made there, I suppose you could have another tattoo saying disregard the below

And an arrow pointing with the message, please read update on left ankle.:D

Just getting my coat!,,,,,,,,,,, All the best Bruce.

Last edited:
It's funny reading this as I also have a medical condition that requires medication for life( however long that may be) and I've have mulled over having a Tattoo with my medication details & blood type for a long time just in case of emergency. I wouldn't wear any kind of bracelet/watch due to my job as a joiner, so that was why I was considering a tattoo.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Folks

As always a great response. Thank you.

My condition is for life and is as a result of having my Oesophagus and 75% of my stomach removed. Basically my body cannot digest sugars at a constant manageable rate (reactive hypoglycemia).

I manage it well, now. It is a very small price to pay for saving my life. I also wear an Abbott Freestyle Libre - Blood Glucose monitor. This is a brilliant bit of kit, that proactively alerts me to what is happening, BEFORE it happens, thus allowing me to take appropriate action to avoid any drama.

I have never had a tattoo in my life and, if I am honest here, quiet fancy the idea of a discreet band on my wrist. Perhaps I should start a design competition on here ;^)

I liked Giantvanmans watch strap idea, but I also occasionally wear a Fitbit as well as my normal watch.

I feel the lure of the tattoo shop drawing me in. Visions of a giant luminous red snake, wrapped around my body, head and face, coiling down my arm to the legend that says "Hypoglycemic" Yes. Yes Yes.

Ah! - Yes, my wife tried wearing a fitbit and a watch... the result is that she bought a new fitbit which displays the time.

The tattoo idea seems sensible; you could even have it designed to look a stylised medicalert bracelet.

I can understand you not wanting to be dead Bruce,I suspect the bracelet is the best option but it is a personal choice,if you decide to have a tattoo,apart from having the medical one can you also have one that says if the worst happens, I leave all my cars to zipdip .

As an aside, I understand that tattoos inside the wrist hurt like buggery.

^^ They do. A very lot :eek:

Besides, the idea of a tattoo is conditional on you not wearing a Fitbit (or anything) on that wrist that might obscure it....... :rolleyes:

Wrist tattoo is best alternative to the bling option, but like been said I'll bet it'll be painful best have a couple of pints first Pal :thumb:

.....and the winner is?

Grober.

I have decided (being a wimp) to try Graeme's suggestion of the engraved band. This seems to capture the best of all worlds. Hopefully I will never require it in action.

Thank you for the great tips. Thank you Grober (again) for the link.

Hi,
My wife is an ER consultant and she has just arrived home from a busy shift at our local level 1 trauma centre.
I asked her about the wrist tattoo vs. an SOS bracelet.
She reckons it would be very easy to miss a wrist tattoo and thinks that if you insist on a tattoo - then it should be on your forehead!
Her advice is therefore to use one of the more recognised SOS products!
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom