Tax Disk Status

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So I just bought a car...

That said, it's not taxed... or the seller told me it wasn't taxed.

I had a look online, and it says:

Date of Liability 01 07 2011
Date of First Registration 29 01 1997
Year of Manufacture 1997
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2497CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £112.75
12 Months Rate £205.00

Does date of liability being in the future mean it's taxed? Or does it just mean that it's SORN until that date?

Next question - can I tax it with a tippex'ed new keeper supplement?

M,

So I just bought a car...

That said, it's not taxed... or the seller told me it wasn't taxed.

I had a look online, and it says:

Does date of liability being in the future mean it's taxed? Or does it just mean that it's SORN until that date?

Next question - can I tax it with a tippex'ed new keeper supplement?

M,

If it says the date of liability is 01/07/11 then I would write to DVLA and ask for a duplicate licence disc. It could also mean that it is currently SORN. Ring them and ask.

Re taxing with a tippexed document, I tried this once and they wouldn't accept it at the post office. I guess it depends on who serves you on the day, if they are a jobsworth or not....

The DVLA database is often wrong. My 2nd car tax ran out because I didn't get a reminder. DVLA said it was taxed for another 6 months when it clearly wasn't. I had not sorned it either.

Best bet is to ring them and get it cleared up.

Seller should have given you some SORN documentation I guess? Or perhaps the car was taxed, seller has cashed in the tax disc and the DVLA computer hasn't caught up yet?

The seller gave me a few books of paperwork... got home at 1am last night and haven't had time to got through them all...

Will do tonight... I'm hoping primo can email me a scanned version of the insurance docs - then I can try taxing it at the post office... if not, I may have some trouble getting to work this week!

M.

So if the seller cashed in the tax disc, and it was part way through the month, only the full remaining months would be refundable. You would no doubt have to renew from the beginning of the month which has already been paid for, but isn't refundable!

Just to confirm the SORN, here's my motorbikes status, which is also SORN at this time-

Date of Liability 01 01 2012
Date of First Registration 29 03 1982
Year of Manufacture 1982
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 652CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour RED

Thanks - I was being thick!

Just checked on another car (one that's taxed)

Date of Liability 01 03 2011
Date of First Registration 31 01 1996
Year of Manufacture 1996
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1799CC
Fuel Type Petrol
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval

Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £112.75
12 Months Rate £205.00

So it's definetly SORN... time to call Primo and hope I can get a scanned version...

Nope - thick :p

I could have checked against another vehicle in the first place :p Just didn't think of it!

Please check on this, but I think SORN is automatically cancelled on sale of the vehicle.

Nope - thick :p

I could have checked against another vehicle in the first place :p Just didn't think of it!

No, not thinking is not being thick, it's senility creaping in:D

Please check on this, but I think SORN is automatically cancelled on sale of the vehicle.

It is indeed, the new owner needs to tax it or re SORN it. SORN isn't transferred. Complete scam but that is government for you I guess.

Meh - no real issues... The vehicle's registered keeper hasn't been transferred yet as the previous owner only had the new keeper supplement...

I'll get the tax done as soon as I get the insurance certificate from Primo (I need the original they pointed out, which is very true. I've gotten so used with swiftcover, where the original IS a pdf that I totally missed that a scanned one wouldn't work).

Then I'll do the V62 gibberish... and then transfer my plate onto it... wow there is a lot of red tape!

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom