Taxi graveyard being robbed. Viano parts going cheap ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon

According to this story the (inevitable) drop in London cab use during Covid has led to fields 'full' of black cabs and licenced London taxis that have been taken off the road. The article states 'over 50' vehicles have ben robbed of their catalytic converters and Dpf's. My guess it is the MB Vianos that have been targeted. (Not sure what engine is in the black cabs) for their parts.

There could be a glut of used Vainos flooding the second hand market soon , along with a load of E class airport taxi diesels (in Black) as well if this carries on much longer.

I wonder what the underneath of those will look like after sitting in a muddy field for god knows how long!

It’s hard to see many returning to the road, similar to when BA parked up their 747’s :(

I agree, not much of a market for black cabs that might end up standing in a field for years. At least not in the UK. They are RHD ...India maybe ? or the crusher more like.

MB taxis are Vitos, although of course a large majority of the parts are common with the Viano (or now V Class). They have rear wheel steering though (to meet the black cab turning radius requirement), which is unique!

The Merc vans must have a lot of value in parts - will eventually be carted out to Eastern Europe/Russia to be broken up?

Probably an extinction event for the TX cabs.

MB taxis are Vitos, although of course a large majority of the parts are common with the Viano (or now V Class). They have rear wheel steering though (to meet the black cab turning radius requirement), which is unique!
Correct, I just realised i typed Viano ..once and then Vaino..instead of Vito and I must have spellchecked both of them ! :doh: These Vitos are not cheap either.

These Vitos are not cheap either.

Tell me about it :D

If I turned up somewhere in my SL500 someone would always make a comment about expensive cars, yet nobody ever batted an eyelid if I used the Vito (which cost me nearly 10 grand more)!

Ah, I thought this would get checked when they went through their 6-monthly inspection, but maybe that's just a standard MOT so it's not covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom