Technology works!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Germgh0st

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW G20 M340i
On Saturday I was visting my partner's mum with her. My car was parked in a layby in her road, big enough for two cars with another car already in it. Opposite the layby are three resident parking spaces that back onto the road, and back onto the layby as a result.

Can you guess what it is yet?

Sitting in the house I get a Mercedes Me collision alert. Leapt up to look out of the window to see a red Honda Jazz disappearing at the end of the road. I remembered there was a red car parked in one of the resident bays. I rushed outside to no sight of said car, but a nice dent in the passenger side front wheelarch or my car! Grrrr!

Thankfully my expensive Blackvue dashcam caught the incident and I have the driver dead to rights. They back out of the space and hit my car with enough force to rock it and their car to bounce off of it. No way they couldn't have known.

All reported to the police and my insurer - they'll be getting a knock from the local force as I've said I'd like to press for prosecution. Like I said absolutely no way they couldn't have known, and they should have stopped or at the very least reported it, which they haven't.

What is it with people??!!

20200208_144602_small.jpg

Well caught! Sometimes the technology is really worth having. Hope all goes well with the claim.

Reactions: 219
Great news. I thought you were going to say you had foiled an attempted theft with your security system.
That's why I'm trying to get my Audi utr kit into my merc as that records when parked.

Can you post the Dashcam vid?

Can you post the Dashcam vid?

Probably a bad idea -you would not want to prejudice a potential police case by showing the video yet!
Privacy, data protection, human rights blah blah!

I would pass the video recording to the police and your insurer , and no one else .

Failure to report as soon as practicable, and in any case within 24h , is a specific offence .

Police won’t be interested. Technically it’s a fail to stop and fail to report damage only RTC. With the slight damage and the fact it’s recorded on dash cam they will probably tell you to sort it through insurance. They may give you an incident no. for you to forward to insurance company but I’d be very surprised at any more than that.

Police won’t be interested. Technically it’s a fail to stop and fail to report damage only RTC. With the slight damage and the fact it’s recorded on dash cam they will probably tell you to sort it through insurance. They may give you an incident no. for you to forward to insurance company but I’d be very surprised at any more than that.

As I said in my original post I have already reported it to the police. They want the dash cam footage, and it has been passed to the police in the area it happened to investigate.

Dodgy things those Honda Jazz’s.
My next door neighbour appeared on our doorstep once, shaken with nasty cuts and bruises down her leg.
They’re in their early 80’s her and her husband.
By all accounts her husband always leaves the car parked in gear. Their drive has a slight slope downhill towards the house.
According to her, she started the car whilst fiddling with the sat nav (leaning in) and it drives off in reverse on its own.
Out of the drive throwing her clear, semi circles in front of our house through 180 degrees, smashed through the low brick wall, onto our drive and finally into the wife’s Discovery.
I thinks she’s either talking bollocks or can’t remember exactly what she did but Honda looked at the car and found nothing amis and they still have it (with a few more dents).
They’re reasonably well off so paid to have all the damaged fixed but I cannot for the life of me think that cars can drive off when starting. It’s a manual not an auto!!!
See, Honda Jazz..special vehicle’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodgy things those Honda Jazz’s.
My next door neighbour appeared on our doorstep once, shaken with nasty cuts and bruises down her leg.
They’re in their early 80’s her and her husband.
By all accounts her husband always leaves the car parked in gear. Their drive has a slight slope downhill towards the house.
According to her, she started the car whilst fiddling with the sat nav (leaning in) and it drives off in reverse on its own.
Out of the drive throwing her clear, semi circles in front of our house through 180 degrees, smashed through the low brick wall, onto our drive and finally into the wife’s Discovery.
I thinks she’s either talking bollocks or can’t remember exactly what she did but Honda looked at the car and found nothing amis and they still have it (with a few more dents).
They’re reasonably well off so paid to have all the damaged fixed but I cannot for the life of me think that cars can drive off when starting. It’s a manual not an auto!!!
See, Honda Jazz..special vehicle’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It absolutely would , especially in reverse which is the lowest gear in the box ; all it takes is for the engine to catch and away it will go .

I have on occasion done it intentionally if having to bring home a car with a failed clutch. Just churn along on the starter until it catches and you’re away ; clutchless changes are easy , especially if you cut your teeth on non synchromesh cars , and for stopping you just either slip it out of gear or stall it on the brakes , then repeat the process if you’d had to stop at lights or whatever .

Of course , one should always park in whichever low gear would cause the car to move uphill ; I cringe at people who think a handbrake is sufficient, especially when it acts on disc brakes which will shrink and let go as they cool down .

It absolutely would , especially in reverse which is the lowest gear in the box ; all it takes is for the engine to catch and away it will go .

I have on occasion done it intentionally if having to bring home a car with a failed clutch. Just churn along on the starter until it catches and you’re away ; clutchless changes are easy , especially if you cut your teeth on non synchromesh cars , and for stopping you just either slip it out of gear or stall it on the brakes , then repeat the process if you’d had to stop at lights or whatever .

Of course , one should always park in whichever low gear would cause the car to move uphill ; I cringe at people who think a handbrake is sufficient, especially when it acts on disc brakes which will shrink and let go as they cool down .

My then girlfriend (now wife for 42 years), could drive a car without a clutch back in the 70s - A friends Vauxhall/Chev/Opel Firenza that was launched with a 2.5L engine in South Africa had a useless clutch that was forever packing up. The missus being the only non drinker was the designated driver was pretty good at it.

Parking on slopes - I was taught to turn the wheels so that they would go into the kerb (if available) if the car rolled while parked on a slope.

I used to be able to ride a motorcycle without a clutch. Hardest part was moving off from standstill.

My then girlfriend (now wife for 42 years), could drive a car without a clutch back in the 70s - A friends Vauxhall/Chev/Opel Firenza that was launched with a 2.5L engine in South Africa had a useless clutch that was forever packing up. The missus being the only non drinker was the designated driver was pretty good at it.

Parking on slopes - I was taught to turn the wheels so that they would go into the kerb (if available) if the car rolled while parked on a slope.
Yep , I do that as well if on an incline of any steepness .

you should see the dents in MrsM's Focus, parked up in sleepy North Weald and a visiting Range Rover decided her car was in the way, front door can be repaired but rear door has a hard crease so I am guessing has no structural strength now. Lucky enough they did knock and reported the accident, admitted full liability and offered to pay for all repairs.

I’m very glad you caught the culprit. This kind of thing makes me mad!

incidentally my parents have a Jazz. And they do fit the demographic to a tee! They told me the other day that ‘it’s ridiculous that their jazz does not have a fuel gauge!’ I couldn’t be bothered to question it but apparently they have to top up the fuel all time to be safe! Now I’m pretty sure a 2016 jazz does have a fuel gauge!

They also reported a lucky spot when they discovered a screw in the front tyre. I expressed surprise that the tyre pressure warning hadn’t sounded only to be told that it had - 4 times - but they had ignored it and reset it each time.

As mum proudly told me that it was only good fortune that dad had spotted said screw when cleaning the car! Ermmmmm....what about the four warnings?!!!

I could go on....but the point is jazz drivers are a nightmare. Avoid!!

My parents have a matching pair of Honda Jazz. Yes two of them! My Dad has a silver one and my Mom has a brown one! They absolutely love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom