telephone pre-wiring & bluetooth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roberto

Hi Guys.

Looking forward to using this forum.

I have today bought a pre-owned 2008 E320 CDI Sport (good deal too!!!)

It has COMMAND with Sat Nav, and also telephone pre-wiring.

I have a nokia 6230i phone, and also a Blackberry Pearl.

I'm confused which is the best way to proceed. The sales guy mentioned that I could use bluetooth and go via the radio. He also mentioned that telephone pre-wire would allow for all the details of my sim to go into the radio. i thought I needed a cradle for this though, to attach into the console arm-rest??

Can anyone give me any advice as to the best way to proceed??

Thanks.

I guess you have the UHI connector at the centre storage compartment, I would call this phone pre-installation instead of pre-wiring. You should be able to use it with a 6230i cradle or with a BT adapter. 6230i should support the BT SAP adapter but the BT HF adapter should work with both phones.

There is a black connector in the centre console, yes. So I guess that I have to buy the MB adaptor, presumably a dedicated one, or a bluetooth one??

Will the phone work without the cradle via the radio (says in the blurb that telephone keypad and bluetooth interface are standard)?? If so, why is the pre-installation better??

Also can I fit this cradle myself, or is it a workshop job??

Thanks for your help.

There is a black connector in the centre console, yes. So I guess that I have to buy the MB adaptor, presumably a dedicated one, or a bluetooth one??

Will the phone work without the cradle via the radio (says in the blurb that telephone keypad and bluetooth interface are standard)?? If so, why is the pre-installation better??

Thanks for your help.

I'm assuming this is not the brand new NTG2.5 Comand that has BT HF integrated. The "old" Comand may have some BT support but not hands free.

You can buy a cradle that would be pretty much phone specific. 6230i cradles are cheap from eBay too. Your dealer of course would have those, installation is "just plug into the connector".

A BT adapter instead of a phone specific cradle would allow mostly the same features as a phone in the cradle. This should be your only option for the BB. Some BT adapters here:
http://www.comandonline.co.uk/home.php?cat=252

A bluetooth HFP cradle is the best one for your car/phones. Its a simple clip it in and pair it up. No need for a dealer to do anything.

Thanks for your help.

I have a standard cradle if you want one :D

Depends which phone you want to use- You cant use both at once.

If you want to use the blackberry You need the Bluetooth.

For the 6230i a dedicated cradle will give you much better functionality. You can get these pretty cheap on Ebay.

I recently bought a Bluetooth cradle - I've shoved it back in the box until My new iphone appears in a few months. It works fine, and supports more phones, although I haven't yet found one that will download the Address book or call lists. But the dedicated one is better

Depends which phone you want to use- You cant use both at once.

If you want to use the blackberry You need the Bluetooth.

For the 6230i a dedicated cradle will give you much better functionality. You can get these pretty cheap on Ebay.

I recently bought a Bluetooth cradle - I've shoved it back in the box until My new iphone appears in a few months. It works fine, and supports more phones, although I haven't yet found one that will download the Address book or call lists. But the dedicated one is better

If I were to use a Nokia 6230i, I would buy a cradle from Gollom but I already have one and I am using BT anyway but still, what would prevent both phones being used with the BT HF cradle? 6230i should work with both options (it does not have the option to select between HF and SAP if the BT device supported both modes but this is not the question with MB/Peiker).

l, what would prevent both phones being used with the BT HF cradle? 6230i should work with both options .

I should clarify - The HFP will not pair with both phones at once, So you have to decide before you get in the car and switch BT off on one of them.

I should clarify - The HFP will not pair with both phones at once, So you have to decide before you get in the car and switch BT off on one of them.

Yes of course, I was about to add that but forgot. I would consider this equally obvious as the fact that a phone cradle can only hold one phone at a time but in practise it seems ambiguous.

My point was intended to clarify that "one approach" would suite both phone models even if both cannot be used at the same time.

Sorry to deviate from original thread:eek:
I have a 2008 C180 K as a courtesy car for a few days. I can pair my Nokia 6310i with the car but phone book does not download. There is no cradle and car does not have a manual.
Any advice would be appreciated.

The new c-class bluetooth works completely differently to previous models. You have to send your contacts to the car as 'buisness cards' and is saves them in the stereo/comand system memory. As its a courtesy car i wouldnt bother as you will leave all your contacts for the next person unless you delete them.

The new c-class bluetooth works completely differently to previous models. You have to send your contacts to the car as 'buisness cards' and is saves them in the stereo/comand system memory. As its a courtesy car i wouldnt bother as you will leave all your contacts for the next person unless you delete them.

Gareth, thanks for the info. I wondered what the business card feature was!

Gareth, thanks for the info. I wondered what the business card feature was!

A business card or vCard (visitor card) is the info you have stored on your phone book for a given name entry. Like on Outlook or a smart phone the info can contain not only multiple phone numbers but addresses, home pages, email addresses etc.

I believe you can send a single business card via BT to another device from a N6310i too. If I remember right, it would not have the option to send the whole phone book at one go.

Hi Gareth, I have just got a new W204 C-Class and a Blackberry 8310 and it will not transfer the address book. From what you have said do I have to send everyone individually as a business card? Sounds very long winded.

Done it!! Entered into 'Receive Business Cards' and it uploaded the lot.:bannana::bannana:

Pity it doesn't mention that in the hand book!!:mad:

unfortunately different phones handle business cards differently. My old Ericsson let me tick all the contacts and transfer them in one go, whereas the iPhone won't let you do it at all. What I have done for customers in the past is put their sim card in my phone(Ericsson) and do it that way all in one move. Once the car has the numbers it doesn't matter what phone is connected the car has it's own address book.
Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom