Telephone Prewiring Queries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I have a 03 SL with the phone prewiring kit fitted. As I understand it, I need a Nokia 6230 or 6230i. 1st ?- are these phones interchangeable? That is, will the cradle suit either of these? 2nd ?- if not, how can I find out what cradle is fitted? 3rd ?- I have another Nokia phone on an O2 contract. Is there a way of having the same no for this and for the incar phone? Forgive me if I am asking silly questions but I am just moving out of the horseless carriage era(maybe that should be the pigeon era) when it comes to mobile phones and the like!

what is your o2 nokia...the cradles are interchangable and other cradles can be fitted to accomodate different phones not just nokia

I have a 03 SL with the phone prewiring kit fitted. As I understand it, I need a Nokia 6230 or 6230i. 1st ?- are these phones interchangeable? That is, will the cradle suit either of these? 2nd ?- if not, how can I find out what cradle is fitted? 3rd ?- I have another Nokia phone on an O2 contract. Is there a way of having the same no for this and for the incar phone? Forgive me if I am asking silly questions but I am just moving out of the horseless carriage era(maybe that should be the pigeon era) when it comes to mobile phones and the like!

If you do need a cradle would appreciate you giving me a shout - have the latest one one suitable for either of the phones you mention at £70 (I do not have pre-wire in the E-class)

AFAIK the first generation of cradle was specific to the 6230 or 6230i - the latest one suits either

Did a Nokia 6230 cradle exist for MY 2003? Are you sure it isn't for a Nokia 6310i? In any case, any unit of the same model (in a few cases the SW would have to be at certain level) would work on a European MB kit.

Or do you mean you only have the prewiring in the car, not the full kit?

If there is a full kit and it is for the 6310i (or Nokia 6xxx series phones), the best option would be to by the ViseeO BT device. If it is an UHI kit (where Nokia 6230 cradles exist), then you would have a few BT options and a cradle option for multiple different phone models.

The O2 Nokia is a 7210.
Diesel Benz- you have lost me! What is SW? Re prewiring versus full kit- I don't know. Car has prewiring specified-there is a cradle etc in centre console. What does the full kit consist of? What is an UHI kit? I did warn that I am only catching up on the mobile phone thing.

The O2 Nokia is a 7210.
Diesel Benz- you have lost me! What is SW? Re prewiring versus full kit- I don't know. Car has prewiring specified-there is a cradle etc in centre console. What does the full kit consist of? What is an UHI kit? I did warn that I am only catching up on the mobile phone thing.

Sorry for short cuts. We have real SL experts on the forum but an -03 E-class would not have UHI (option code 386) but option code 388 Nokia GSM kit, I would assume this is what is on this SL too.

Prewiring generally means no phone related equipment in the car but just the wiring to enable retrofit installation with a reasonable effort. Since your car has a cradle, it must have the full kit, not just prewiring.

If it had 388, that would be a cradle for a Nokia 6310i (should take 5110, 6110, 6120 and 6310 at least in addition). This should be a cradle with a curly wire, allowing you privacy calls too.

An UHI kit came after the 388 setup, here you would have a small connector, usually at the centre console compartment where you can attach a phone model specific cradle or a BT interface device.

Some photos and further info here:
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phones.html
http://www.mercupgrades.com/

If the kit was UHI/386, I cannot find a cradle for a Nokia 7210. I guess Bluetooth would be the way with UHI.

If the kit was 388, you could either use a Nokia 6310i or go for an after market bluetooth option, ViseeO.
http://www.comandonline.co.uk/home.php?xid=3d92423cb4cff096e8f611ae4538b4fc

You can see from your car data card which options it has. If you don't have a data card, send your VIN or if you trust Russians more (don't have to post the VIN on public), you should find the info here (2003 should be well covered but I remember comments on RHD cars sometimes being an issue):
http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

sorry for jumping in guys, i have a 2001 s class 320 CDI with the original Merc nokia fitted in the armrest but its a pain to keep swapping sims between my motorola and the nokia, can you get a cradle to fit a motorola V3X ? same as the v3 i think? thanks

Guys

I think that the 03 SL had the fixed 6210i/6310i system - does it have a curly cable, if so its a fixed cradle system. The 'best' way of changing that is to install a ViseeO which sits in the cradle and talks bluetooth to the phone and the car thinks its a Nokia 6310i.
(nb the 2001 s class is definetly a fixed Nokia, just make sure its a Nokia 6xxx not the older 3110 (or was it 3100))
- The viseeo leaves you with the steering wheel controls, and cluster & comand displays working properly - unlike the CARK91 suggested above by IanAlexander2 -

If you have no curly cable, then you have UHI, and the cradles slide off when you press the little button that is near top of cradle and slide downward (or to rear of car). That is mostly good news because you can put a cradle in , and it gives you lots of options. I say 'mostly' because the cheaper bluetooth cradle does not work on the old COMAND system which was fitted to SL's until late 2004 I think. If you have new COMAND the map disk is in the boot. So, you have then to use either the SAP cradle (which has limited phone supported, limited to relatively new Nokias plus a couple of siemens phones), or a 6310i cradle and a ViseeO.

I think the SL changed to UHI late 2003 / early 2004. My 04 has UHI, my 02 had fixed..

Now all of these devices are available from (plug!) www.comandonline.co.uk

[edit: sorry I have repeated a lot of DieselBenz's post - should read better first]

R

Last edited:
The O2 Nokia is a 7210.

UHI is the system where the cradle can easily be changed to another. On www.mercupgrades.com there is a 'uhi/mhi phone cradle document' that tells you what cradles are available (i.e what phones are supported), as-well as the bluetooth cradles that Mercedes have.

Sadly the Nokia 7210 doesnt have bluetooth :-( Nor a UHI cradle. But you must have had that for ages and thus (if on contract) 02 would probably do you a free upgrade to something with bluetooth.

R

sorry for jumping in guys, i have a 2001 s class 320 CDI with the original Merc nokia fitted in the armrest but its a pain to keep swapping sims between my motorola and the nokia, can you get a cradle to fit a motorola V3X ? same as the v3 i think? thanks

No, you can only use the Nokia phone/s (depends upon the PSE that you have) in a 2001 S Class.

Options are as suggested above by Richard:

1. upgrade your car kit to a UHI one (allows you to change different cradles) or
2. buy a Viseoo Bluetooth Module, this fits the factory Mercedes telelphone kit and transforms it from being a Nokia only system to having bluetooth integration.

Thanks Richard for the info, unfortunately my phone is the older 3110 nokia, i've seen cradles on e bay for the motorola but do they fit?

Thanks Richard for the info, unfortunately my phone is the older 3110 nokia, i've seen cradles on e bay for the motorola but do they fit?

No they won't fit, unless you have the UHI kit. Richard will be able to offer more advice on the UHI upgrade, don't expect it to be cheap...

ok, ill wait with apprehension and a chair ready to fall into !!

ok, ill wait with apprehension and a chair ready to fall into !!

Yup, to switch to UHI will cost you about £650 in parts PLUS a cradle, and some custom cables made up to connect the aerial up properly. MB dealer would charge stacks more, if he even wanted to do it.

You could switch to the 6210 system (change controller under rear seat and cradle system in glovebox) if you get used parts from eBay then add a ViseeO, which will probably cost you about £500-£600 depending on eBay luck.

Sorry not to be bearer of wonderful news.

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom