telephone prewiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
Here's a stupid question.

The 211 I have just purchased has telephone prewiring. What exactly do I have to do to use a mobile phone in it? There is a cradle in the centre arm-rest, but not one that seems to fit my phone. Do I need to buy a new cradle, or an adaptor, or a new phone? The car is a 2005 model, and my current mobile is a some kind of Nokia slider, which I acquired at the start of 2007.

You can (depending on your phone) buy a cradle to fit your phone, but then you'll have to change the cradle everytime you change your phone.
Best idea - but a bit more expensive - is going the bluetooth route.

Since you have a Nokia phone, I would consider the BT SAP part, specifically this one with a privacy handset. This is not as popular but I like it when I use the phone and have others in the car. It has all the same functionality as the other BT SAP device (there was no figure on the page at the link, I hope I referred to the right part).
http://www.mercedes-benz-parts.co.u...-sap_1652/bluetooth-cradle-privacy_34441.html

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there an easy way to determine which phone the cradle is designed for?

I am not really into gadgets, and only use my mobile for the basic functions, so the easiest and cheapest option might be to change the phone.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there an easy way to determine which phone the cradle is designed for?

I am not really into gadgets, and only use my mobile for the basic functions, so the easiest and cheapest option might be to change the phone.

Remove the cradle from the UHI connector and look at the part number (I believe a 2005 should have UHI).

You can have a look at MB web pages for the availability of cradles for different phone models. There are not that many for new phones, instead you should use BT.

Would your really want to chance your current phone to one that fits the cradle in your car, specifically if it was an old phone, perhaps a Nokia 6230i or similar?

A small drawback to the Bluetooth adapters is that they don't charge the phone.

We have stuck with Nokia 6230is and have wired adapters in the Vito and SL. Very happy with the setup.

A small drawback to the Bluetooth adapters is that they don't charge the phone.
quote]

True but if you go for SAP, once connected your phone goes to "sleep". As the car takes over completely there is very little drain on the phone battery.

Yup, but I find it useful that the phone is actually charged up in the car. I hardly ever need to use the mains charger at home, and don't need to remember to take one if we go away.

ne instruction of setting SAP up..? ive but a command system in with the bluetooth cradle... it finds my fone but thats it.. does nufing else... (sumet to mention... i have not yet set the aerial for the satnav.. are they the same1..?? n hence my problem not having the fone working...

The phone has nothing to do with the sat-nav (GPS) aerial.

Which particular cradle / module do you have?

being a 2005 model , you will probably find that the prewiring cradle is for the nokia 6310i, as it will probably have the curly wire coming from the cradle and disappearing into the centre console. you cant change this cradle unless you want to spend a lot of money, and recommend you buy the phone to fit the cradle

being a 2005 model , you will probably find that the prewiring cradle is for the nokia 6310i, as it will probably have the curly wire coming from the cradle and disappearing into the centre console. you cant change this cradle unless you want to spend a lot of money, and recommend you buy the phone to fit the cradle

You think so, for any 2005 model? I thought UHI came during 2004, I already asked it from the original poster, would be good to have this confirmed to avoid everybody wasting time on a wrong setup.

ne instruction of setting SAP up..? ive but a command system in with the bluetooth cradle... it finds my fone but thats it.. does nufing else... (sumet to mention... i have not yet set the aerial for the satnav.. are they the same1..?? n hence my problem not having the fone working...

Which phone are you trying it with? If it is a Nokia phone, have you activated the BT SAP mode from the BT menu (remote SIM or something like that)? Not all Nokia phones have this setting, I believe most S40 phones are not configurable (this is intended towards car kits that support both BT SAP and HF mode, like the N616 kit).

Out of curiosity, I tired my partner's phone in the cradle, and it seems to fit. Hers is a slightly older Nokia, although not sure if it is the 6310i, as it is quite small, and I thought the 6310i was quite bulky. Anyway, it seems to fit, and the phone immediately begins to charge. However, when you go to the phone mode on the control panel, the "no phone" message comes up. Is there something else I need to do, or is it that her phone is not really compatible?

Out of curiosity, I tired my partner's phone in the cradle, and it seems to fit. Hers is a slightly older Nokia, although not sure if it is the 6310i, as it is quite small, and I thought the 6310i was quite bulky. Anyway, it seems to fit, and the phone immediately begins to charge. However, when you go to the phone mode on the control panel, the "no phone" message comes up. Is there something else I need to do, or is it that her phone is not really compatible?

6230i would look like this:
http://europe.nokia.com/link?cid=EDITORIAL_5511

The cradle could be an older model for 6220, 6230 (no i) and perhaps some other phones. In this case it would start charging but the car would not recognise the phone.

If the phone was longer than the 6230i, then it could be one of the 6310i type of phones.
http://europe.nokia.com/A4143064

Sorry but we asked for the cradle part number, that would have answered most of the questions.

Sorry, have not got the part number yet because I am not sure how to release the cradle. Do you just pull it upwards? I don't want to break anything by just yanking at randon. btw, what is a UHI? I have never bothered with any kind of car-phone before, so I am afraid these terms do not mean much to me. The cradle is in the arm-rest, if that tells you anything. When you lift up the arm-rest, there are two curly wires coming out of the back. I could upload a photo, if that would be at all helpful.

My partner's phone is indeed a 6230i. Thank you for the link.

Pictures would be good :)

Sorry, have not got the part number yet because I am not sure how to release the cradle. Do you just pull it upwards? I don't want to break anything by just yanking at randon. btw, what is a UHI? I have never bothered with any kind of car-phone before, so I am afraid these terms do not mean much to me. The cradle is in the arm-rest, if that tells you anything. When you lift up the arm-rest, there are two curly wires coming out of the back. I could upload a photo, if that would be at all helpful.

My partner's phone is indeed a 6230i. Thank you for the link.

If it does not have the curly cable (it should not if the 6230i fits), then you should not pull it up but there is a small release button on the cradle and then you slide it backwards from the UHI connector.

UHI cradle options can be found here:
http://www.mercupgrades.com/Mercedes+UHI+and+MHI+Phone+Cradles-article-9.html

If the current one is B6 787 5832, you should replace it to B6 787 5846 to make it work with 6230i (the cradle may have the "A part number").

Last edited:
I have just taken these photos. Could not find a release button though.

Attachments

• car 005a.jpg
    car 005a.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 56
  • car 002a.jpg
    car 002a.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 56
The release button would be the small black pin at the front (see the small red circle). Push it down wiht a pen or something similar and simultaneously move the cradle backwards.

I should have a user guide for the cradle but once you figure out the button, I don't think you would need the manual any more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom