Tell me about….pop up gazebos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
Here's hoping the collective wisdom of the forum has some knowledge about pop up gazebos, the type that concertina out with the roof covering attached. It needs to be able to stand on a hard surface and be strong enough to feel safe when I use it to provide shade for car cleaning and waxing……..not bothered if it collapses on people but not my vehicles (I am joking, of course). I have no knowledge or experience relating to these gazebos and don't want to buy tat but nowadays, high price doesn't necessarily mean good quality which is why I am unable to make a choice.

Last edited:
They're pretty good , I bought one a couple of years back for use at barbecues in the garden.

It was about £80 from memory , you can buy containers the you fill with water that clip round the uprights if you are using it on a surface you can't get stakes in to anchor it

Anything more than a gentle breeze and I wouldn't have the car under it though as they can get a wobble on. Not lost it yet though.

Anything more than a gentle breeze and I wouldn't have the car under it though as they can get a wobble on.

This is one of my fears. It would have to be strong enough to cope with some wind.

I've seen loads self-destruct at the dog agility shows we go to ... they really don't like any wind. An organisation I was involved with bought one for use as a small trade stand - it lasted one day! The only things that survive are the 'party tent' things with tubular steel frames, but those take some time and effort to put up (and need securing with big stakes and ratchet straps!).

Have a look HERE we used to use these on Rally service stops, not sure if they have what you are after but the ones we had coped with the howling gales in the valleys and on the moors. There are some that you can drive the cars wheels on to stop them blowing away as well.

I've seen loads self-destruct at the dog agility shows we go to ... they really don't like any wind. An organisation I was involved with bought one for use as a small trade stand - it lasted one day! The only things that survive are the 'party tent' things with tubular steel frames, but those take some time and effort to put up (and need securing with big stakes and ratchet straps!).

There are a couple advertised which show half a dozen people hanging from the frame at the same time. On the other hand, there never seems t be any mention of how the react to sideways force from say, wind. I guess this is why.

Have a look HERE we used to use these on Rally service stops, not sure if they have what you are after but the ones we had coped with the howling gales in the valleys and on the moors. There are some that you can drive the cars wheels on to stop them blowing away as well.

Thanks for that; very promising. I can't help wonder though……they say they can be erected in under five minutes; is that by a pit crew? :D I will give them a call because ease and speed of assembly and disassembly is quite important to me too.

We have a Surf & Turf unit for racing, usually used on hard standings and lashed down to the trailer and anything else that is not likely to move. Have used it on some very windy weekends when others have become damaged.

Instant Shelters, Pop Up Gazebos and Mini Marquees

We have a Surf & Turf unit for racing, usually used on hard standings and lashed down to the trailer and anything else that is not likely to move. Have used it on some very windy weekends when others have become damaged.

Instant Shelters, Pop Up Gazebos and Mini Marquees

There's a coincidence. I have literally just got off the phone with these guys who have been very helpful (others have been less informative). They are doing me a video to show the 4.5m x 3m being erected by one bloke to show me the technique. Thanks for the recommend; looks promising.:thumb:

Ours is 4.5m x 3M and I usually end up doing it alone, though it easier with a helper

Have not got any close up pics of ours, we have the sides for it too.

9464525414_d722aa9383_z.jpg

I have had a few pop up gazebos. The one I use as a temporary car shelter has lasted well. I put holes on the feet and drilled anchors in that part of the drive which is tarmac.

Even with the anchors it's hates anything more than a mild wind. Your supposed to use tie ropes like a proper tent, which to be fair come in the pack.

My experience of putting them up is that whilst one man is doable it's a pain. On a more heavy duty version I had a few years back I actually bent the frame putting it up on my own.

Also going back to the fact I have had a few. This is because they hate wind and whilst they have metal frames the joints are often plastic. It's these plastic joints that tend to end up snapping.

I have had a few pop up gazebos. The one I use as a temporary car shelter has lasted well. I put holes on the feet and drilled anchors in that part of the drive which is tarmac.

Even with the anchors it's hates anything more than a mild wind. Your supposed to use tie ropes like a proper tent, which to be fair come in the pack.

My experience of putting them up is that whilst one man is doable it's a pain. On a more heavy duty version I had a few years back I actually bent the frame putting it up on my own.

Also going back to the fact I have had a few. This is because they hate wind and whilst they have metal frames the joints are often plastic. It's these plastic joints that tend to end up snapping.

The ones I am looking at (Protex) have all-metal joint versions (commercial grade) which is where I am leaning at the moment. The are also wind tested and certified for 50mph side winds, apparently, and will not twist. The hunt continues.

The ones I am looking at (Protex) have all-metal joint versions (commercial grade) which is where I am leaning at the moment. The are also wind tested and certified for 50mph side winds, apparently, and will not twist. The hunt continues.

Well worth investing that extra, will be interested myself in what you choose.

I've used a few of these higher end of the market ones and they are bloody good.
Look out for a vented roof. There is a centre section that lifts up in the wind, helping to prevent it blowing away.
However, the inherent principle of the design means that nothing will stop it being effected by the wind. It will always blow away if its gusty. How well it survives is the key factor, and determiner of price. Invest in either water bags, (time consumin gto fill, easier to transport and store) or ballast weights. 50kg a corner takes a hefty gale to get airborn...

As for erecting them; a decent one you can put up one man in a couple of minutes:
Pull it outwards, lower each leg in turn one by one, then grab the roof side structures (akin to an old fashion pop rivet gun) one at a time to pop them into place. Done.

A good one is well worth the outlay if you plan on using it.
:thumb:

I've used a few of these higher end of the market ones and they are bloody good.
Look out for a vented roof. There is a centre section that lifts up in the wind, helping to prevent it blowing away.
However, the inherent principle of the design means that nothing will stop it being effected by the wind. It will always blow away if its gusty. How well it survives is the key factor, and determiner of price. Invest in either water bags, (time consumin gto fill, easier to transport and store) or ballast weights. 50kg a corner takes a hefty gale to get airborn...

As for erecting them; a decent one you can put up one man in a couple of minutes:
Pull it outwards, lower each leg in turn one by one, then grab the roof side structures (akin to an old fashion pop rivet gun) one at a time to pop them into place. Done.

A good one is well worth the outlay if you plan on using it.
:thumb:

Thanks for that; it confirms my thought exactly. I am looking at the Protex ones at the moment which have a lifetime warranty on the joints and three years on the frame…….they are not cheap but seem to be up there quality wise. One seller is going to send me a video to prove they can be erected by a single person; thanks for confirming it can be done.

I've got a decent one from Instant Awnings. It was a few quid but it's lasted. Thick aluminium poles are the answer to it.

I've got a decent one from Instant Awnings. It was a few quid but it's lasted. Thick aluminium poles are the answer to it.

This is them I think Pro 50 Instant Awning - The UK's Number One Heavy Duty Gazebo
I believe that they are Projex made frames. It seems that there are several companies selling frames with the same exact tube width, wall width, bracketry and frame sizes/weights as each other. Just have to narrow down who to buy from.

Though I would chip in with some info but not on the folding type.
Ikea do a gazebo called Karlso for £85
Had mine out in the garden under all weathers and it lasted well.
The only thing that killed it was the last snowfall
I was away from home and the 2' we had caved the roof in
Previously I had chance to shift the snow off.
I will be getting another soon
Just thought I would add the info as I have been keeping an eye out for alternatives but at the price it was hard to beat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom