Tell me about buying a new TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sound bars ought to come as standard with bigger displays nowadays I think, the screens are so slim/small there is no way the sound can match the quality of some of the better displays, when the best screens were Plasma the chassis/body was big enough to fit quite decent speakers in, but now.......nah.

I reckon on the bigger and better screens you need to spend as much on the audio reproduction or your just wasting a big part of the experience.

Sound bars are just a starting point.

Hehe.

My old mince pies let me down for a minute. Thought you said B&Q TV :doh:

B&O I'm sure is amazing.

Ant

They went through a bad patch a few years ago Ant when flat screens first became available, but they've picked up again recently with some great products. The best thing about B&O is the integration between components, so you can start with a TV and add surround and subs as you please. That's no different to other brands of course, but with B&O it tends to be hassle free - although you pay for the convenience.

The price difference between B&O and mainstream used to be huge. For example, I paid £4500 for a 32" widescreen B&O 20 years ago. At the time a Sony 20" Trinitron was £250 if I recall correctly. Not comparing like for like I know but it gives you an idea. These days the difference isn't quite so bad but you are still talking 5+ times the price, although less if you add a sound bar to a Sony/Panny/Sammy etc - whereas the sound on B&Os is great out of the box, although adding their sub etc takes it to a different level again in terms of performance and price.

Edit: I should have added that one of the best things about the B&O system is that you don't need to worry about stands and mounting. I always buy with a B&O motorised floor or table stand. Not cheap, but worth it if you've invested heavily in the aesthetics of your viewing area as most people appear to do these days.

+

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 For the sound bar.

I have a Yamaha RX-V673 AV receiver and Tannoy 5.1 surround speaker system. Apart from the subwoofer the speakers are very small, so you don't really notice they exist.

The sound quality is really good, and the Yamaha switches all my satellite and Freeview, Netflix, Playstation equipment.

The sound issue is a very valid one, don't fall into the trap that I did.

I have a TV/music room at home and hook up the TV to my amp, a couple of years ago we bought a new TV and since discovered that there is no audio output to connect to my amp, not even a 3.5mm headphone jacking point.

I initially thought that I had cocked something up but further research showed that there just no facility to connect in that way.

I spent more on the soundbar than I did on the TV and it is a great product. Yamaha YSP-2200 - it's discontinued now but replaced by the YSP-2500. The higher end bars have multiple speakers digitally driven and the amps configure themselves to your room so they can bounce the sound off the walls enabling them to provide a surround sound effect.

I'd never had a surround system before and I do find it good to listen to when there is a surround soundtrack on what we're watching, it's also engaging for non-surround stereo sources like most TV output.

2 caveats:
- It has to be said though, that this system, clever as it is can't give you quite the same enveloping feeling as a actually having speakers behind you. My wife didn't want even small boxes put up all over the place so I really only had the option of a sound bar really. It definitely soudns better than my parent's denon sound base though.

- I used to have a pair of 90s mission bookshelf speakers (761 maybe) and a marrantz amp of a similar age (richer sounds entry level separates of the day). The amp died a few years ago, which is why I started looking at replacement systems. It has to be said that for most viewing they offered a very satisfying sound at least on a par with the new soundbar set-up. Moral of the story is, if you have a decent stereo set-up with beefy speakers, it's hard to beat that with one of the new fangled bars or bases.

I spent more on the soundbar than I did on the TV and it is a great product. Yamaha YSP-2200 - it's discontinued now but replaced by the YSP-2500. The higher end bars have multiple speakers digitally driven and the amps configure themselves to your room so they can bounce the sound off the walls enabling them to provide a surround sound effect.

I'd never had a surround system before and I do find it good to listen to when there is a surround soundtrack on what we're watching, it's also engaging for non-surround stereo sources like most TV output.

2 caveats:
- It has to be said though, that this system, clever as it is can't give you quite the same enveloping feeling as a actually having speakers behind you. My wife didn't want even small boxes put up all over the place so I really only had the option of a sound bar really. It definitely soudns better than my parent's denon sound base though.

- I used to have a pair of 90s mission bookshelf speakers (761 maybe) and a marrantz amp of a similar age (richer sounds entry level separates of the day). The amp died a few years ago, which is why I started looking at replacement systems. It has to be said that for most viewing they offered a very satisfying sound at least on a par with the new soundbar set-up. Moral of the story is, if you have a decent stereo set-up with beefy speakers, it's hard to beat that with one of the new fangled bars or bases.

I also have a reasonable quality stereo system, through which I can play the TV if I choose.

The problem is that the system has to be switched on separately, the correct input set on the amp, etc, etc. I don't have a problem with this but the LOML struggles!

With a compatible soundbase, one button turns everything on, and the tv remote controlls the volume.

I also have a reasonable quality stereo system, through which I can play the TV if I choose.

The problem is that the system has to be switched on separately, the correct input set on the amp, etc, etc. I don't have a problem with this but the LOML struggles!

With a compatible soundbase, one button turns everything on, and the tv remote controlls the volume.

Just get one of the many remote controls that automatically configure your system to what you want to watch ie TV, Sat, Cinema, DVD, Music etc etc.....a one button solution to the myriad of buttons needed nowadays, I used to have the Philips system and half the fun was setting it up on the computer but now the One4all remotes do the job just as well with a simple set up, just list all your equipment and the remote configures.

Even a Wif........er.........Monkey could do it :D

Off to Bluewater this morning to have a look in John Lewis and then Richer Sounds afterwards. Think they may need a large van for all the kit that has been recommended thus far! Luckily it is Black Friday soon.

Well guys,

I took a trip to see my mum and dad in Manchester on Friday. I called into Richer Sounds Stockport on the way home and treated us to this:

Samsung UE48JS8500 | 48 inch Curved 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV Freeview HD freesat HD | Richer Sounds

I'd had my eye on it for a few weeks and because it had been returned to store (reason Unknown) it had to be sold as a clearance item. Full 6 year warranty and paid £981

They chucked in 4 pairs of Samsung 3D glasses too.

It's all set up and working. We're over the moon with it. Picture is better than I could ever imagined.

Ant.

With all these new flat screen TV's the problem is the sound,so given you are buying one with a great picture quality the next most important think is does the TV have Optical sound,with that you can connect a sound bar,and get top quality sound,

With all these new flat screen TV's the problem is the sound,so given you are buying one with a great picture quality the next most important think is does the TV have Optical sound,with that you can connect a sound bar,and get top quality sound,

Yes it does, and yes I have. Pictures great, sounds great. It's all great. :bannana:

Ant. :D

Yes it does, and yes I have. Pictures great, sounds great. It's all great. :bannana:

Ant. :D

There is some really nice 4K stuff on You Tube to show it off, plus I've got the Netflix UHD service and the Marco Polo series is spectacular in 4K and I'm waiting a while before watching Breaking Bad again this time in 4K

If Costco sell the TV you are after, buy it from them if you have access. Their warranty is worth it.

If Costco sell the TV you are after, buy it from them if you have access. Their warranty is worth it.

Yes. I looked around Costco. But they didn't have the model I wanted. Richer sounds have 6 year warranties included in the price

Ant.

We've just watched a DVD on the new TV.

Really impressed. For those people that use glasses. You know years ago when you put off getting your eyes tested? Then you give in and get your first pair of specs? Remember how clean and crisp the world was the first day you wore them? You get the idea.................

Ant.

That's a very good price...although these change on a day by day basis...

When I bought mine from Richer sounds Manchester last year I was informed Yamaha are by far the best sound bars on the market, after in store comparative demos I concurred and bought one:thumb:

Well guys,

I took a trip to see my mum and dad in Manchester on Friday. I called into Richer Sounds Stockport on the way home and treated us to this:

Samsung UE48JS8500 | 48 inch Curved 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV Freeview HD freesat HD | Richer Sounds

I'd had my eye on it for a few weeks and because it had been returned to store (reason Unknown) it had to be sold as a clearance item. Full 6 year warranty and paid £981

They chucked in 4 pairs of Samsung 3D glasses too.

It's all set up and working. We're over the moon with it. Picture is better than I could ever imagined.

Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom