Tell me about... Dalmations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rescue dog every time (as per John's post) -it makes sense on so many levels........

I'm ruling this one out unfortunately. I've seen too many dogs whose characters don't come out until there feet are under the table (or the homes have misrepresented their character).

I've no problem training a dog. Correcting bad habits that have been allowed to settle is a whole different ball game.

I'm ruling this one out unfortunately. I've seen too many dogs whose characters don't come out until there feet are under the table (or the homes have misrepresented their character).

I've no problem training a dog. Correcting bad habits that have been allowed to settle is a whole different ball game.

That's a great shame - there will be hundreds slaughtered in the time it will take you to check out the kennel club papers :(.

But you could only take one out of the hundreds David and if its a wrong 'un?

They are all being re-homed for a reason. This thread is two years old now so you are obviously not rushing, which is good. I am still with out a dog as my life style do not fit with owing a dog right now.

Take your time David.

Might be some pups going for re-homing in say late Jan early Feb? From homes that cannot really fit in with the puppy they got for Christmas.

I see where you are coming from, and if it was just me I'd be more open. But ultimately it will be a family pet, and my daughter has never seen an animal grow from pup to adult etc. as our other pets pre-date her. We also had a springer when I was a kid who was a rescue dog, and he was neurotic at the best of times. Having said that a later adult retriever, again a rescue dog who was half blind was a fantastic dog, and had a sense of smell that had to be seen to be believed.

I suppose I can align myself with an argument that all these dogs even the ones not in a rescue home do need to find a home. Perhaps I'm being simplistic.

John thread is indeed two years old - I had only a dim memory of it's existence and it's made useful reviewing. I've never stopped wanting a dog - but the time is feeling right.

Part of this is the W210's fault for being an estate which overcomes one of my obstacles!

Last edited:
We thought about re-homing a dog before buying our boxer, but after speaking to my grandad about dogs that have been reared by another owner, it was too much risk for us with three young children; you genuinely will never know what that dog is like until it could maybe be too late. My B-I-L and his wife took in a Shar Pei bitch and it's been a nightmare for them. Having said that, I know that retired greyhounds are a delight to re-home.

The biggest problem is that the honeymoon period wears off for a lot of new dog owners and they can't cope with the responsibility so they end up taking them to the RSPCA. I think the average age is around two year old.

Ok, looking for a small daily walker, limited appetite etc. What should I get?

(not a cat, totally allergic).

Gun-dogs have enormous appetites.

Lots of retired greyhounds at Battersea nearby (Old Windsor branch).

Ok, looking for a small daily walker, limited appetite etc. What should I get?

(not a cat, totally allergic).

Gerbil.jpg

Meet Arthur. He's coming home on Friday...

A43E0C37-88B7-4220-B7B4-482BAEBDD957-3336-00000252C55166BC.jpg

ETA Apologies for the poor photo. I left the 7 year old in charge of that bit.

We have had a beagle for nearly a year now, and everybody I know told us not to get one.
We bought her with our eyes wide open, and knew the potential difficulties. She has been brilliant, consistency from day one is the key, and don't give an inch on things you dont want to compromise on.

He looks fab :)

If its MDF its eminently chewable, i would want a metal one.

I've got a dog cage that mine is starting to grow out of that you can have cheap David.

Just reread and you are right mainly aluminium. So would be fine.

We have one of these
Durable 2Door Sloping Car Dog Crate by PetPlanet Puppy Pens for Sale

The good thing is it collapses, and its v light, down size is it rattles a bit, so you need strategic foam.

Also have a small fabric one, for the smaller car.

You definitely need something to separate dog from the rest of the stuff in the boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom