Tell me about... Dalmations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
I think I have been given the OK to get a dog, as long as it's a Dalmatian.

A dog is a new thing for me, although we had a mad springer when I was a kid, and my parents have had retrievers for years.

I'm a bit allergic to the fur, but I have adjusted to our cats, and assume that I will also adjust. My theory is a shot haired Dalmation will lose less hair than a long haired retriever for instance.

Does anyone know anything about the breed? Are they sensible or nutters? Any pointers would be well appreciated.

Not a sensible breed. Suffer from urinary problems due to a breed specific metabolism.

Guy I knew had a boxer. Shed hair like Britney Spears. Back of his car was like the floor of hairdressers salon on a Friday afternoon.

Dalmatians were bred as carriage dogs, who would run alongside nobles' carriages for miles on end. They need a lot of exercise and if not can get frustrated, also quite vocal. Not a breed with mental issues.

All the above are generalisations, there will always be exceptions.

Complete nutters, need very disciplined owners and lots of walks, preferably off the lead. Prone to deafness, eye problems and hip displaysia. Shed hair like Labs.

ta for the replies. Not quite what I was hoping for, but better to be forewarned.

Most breeds we have managed to breed in some problems so take your pick of the problems. Pick a dog to fit your lifestyle eg active or sedate lifestyle, big or large, guard or friendly. Give me a clue and I may be able suggest a suitable type.

Family friendly, weekend walking, but I don't mind week walking on top. Just don't need to do it at the moment.

Live in the country with easy access to country walks. Don't like small dogs, like Springers, but too nuts for me.

Her indoors is insisting on a dog that does not smell like a dog. Not quite sure what that is so not really paying it much attention.

get a Briard!!!

they don't shed and have a self-cleaning hypoallergenic coat. great guard dogs and fab with kids. will take a 50 mile walk happily but just as happy sleeping all day. and to top it all real characters too.

take a look at Ed's website and come and meet him sometime if you need any more convincing

i'd never have anything else now.

labs, retreivers, working cockers not as mad as springers, labradoodles don't shed much hair or not supposed too, all need exercising but not as much as springers but fit for the walks, halfway house Sprocker(springer cross cocker becoming more popular now,hopefully the best of both but could get one with a bit of mad springer in it). Labs often have strong body odour, Spaniel types sweaty ear smell but ok if you get one with a short coat. Most of their breed problems eg hip dysplasia parents should have been tested for,ask the breeder for test results.

get a Briard!!!

they don't shed and have a self-cleaning hypoallergenic coat. great guard dogs and fab with kids. will take a 50 mile walk happily but just as happy sleeping all day. and to top it all real characters too.

take a look at Ed's website and come and meet him sometime if you need any more convincing

i'd never have anything else now.

That is one Gorgeous dog you have there, never heard of Briard's but they look stunning. I'm surprised he ever forgives you for getting all his fur shaved off though :D

It is nice, but I'm struggling with the hair apparently.

Actually I'm not sure why I am posting. Apparently my choices are more limited than I would like.

Bloody women.

I knew I'd seen a Briard before...
Briard-Johnson.JPG

At the moment Dalmation or no dog. If the dog is not going to suit us as a family then it will be no dog. Be good for anybody if we compromise badly.

Said Goodbye to our Golden Retriever "Rosie" last November.
It left a huge hole in our families lives as well as our hearts. I swore I would never get another dog, ever. The pain of that parting was just too much.
Time moves on and maybe in 2012 (I know it’s a long way off, but I have some travel plans) We will welcome a dog into our family again.
Briard! Hmm, never heard of them but its now on the list. Along with Red Setters and Golden Retrievers both of which we have had before.
Rescue dog this time though, fraught with its own problems I know but this time around it seems the right thing to do.

Dalmations can be quite vicious too (as they are bred as a protective species).I know that a dog is only as vicious as how it's been trained but please be aware that as coach dogs they have a in built temperament.

They can be quite nippy too.

Would you consider a molosser/mastiff breed?

My dogs don't smell, have lovely (albeit guarding) temperaments and don't fart too much. :D

33473_451901115848_710530848_5856927_2113581_n.jpg

63851_451897175848_710530848_5856830_2490672_n.jpg

At the moment Dalmation or no dog. If the dog is not going to suit us as a family then it will be no dog. Be good for anybody if we compromise badly.

Decision made then, a Dalmatian it is,check the dogs parents for their temperament,not too hyper & reasonably trained,some modern diets have been developed for with their urinary problems,haven't experienced hip dysplasia problems with but their parents may have been hip scored to rule out the likelihood of hip dysplasia.They are short haired so less problems for you and are not the worst by a long way at shedding their hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom