Tell me about... Dalmations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dalmations are very labour intensive dogs, if it must be one make sure you get from a decent breeder and make sure the parents have decent hip-scores and that their eyesight is good. As has been said they need above average exercise and also mental stimulation, they also don't really like being left alone all day if both of you are at work. Personally i wouldn't have one, they seem to appeal to people who value looks over personality (no offence).

Dalmations are very labour intensive dogs, if it must be one make sure you get from a decent breeder and make sure the parents have decent hip-scores and that their eyesight is good. As has been said they need above average exercise and also mental stimulation, they also don't really like being left alone all day if both of you are at work. Personally i wouldn't have one, they seem to appeal to people who value looks over personality (no offence).

No offence taken. You may have described my partner perfectly. I just snuck under the radar somehow:rolleyes:

I'm a bit allergic to the fur
AFAIK allergies are generally caused by microscopic particles of dead skin floating about in the air (which you will get with all? breeds), rather than the actual hair. I originally had Standard Poodles (which do not shed any coat at all) as Mrs BTB mk 1 had asthma and 'dog hair allergy'. She was unwell for some time after we got the first dog, but did eventually acclimatise and there was no difference when I got my first Border Collie (long coat that sheds).

As already mentioned, enquire about health checks done on prospective sire/dam. These are more comprehensive nowadays e.g. we have just had DNA test results back from the USA and Australia for two of our Collies that we're planning to breed from at the end of next year, checking for various genetically-inherited conditions. That's in addition to hip-scoring and hearing & eye tests. Not cheap, but if you want to produce healthy pups ...

PS I believe Dalmations have been over-bred at various times to meet a short-term surge in demand after each of the various "101 Dalmations" films, which probably didn't help the breed overall.

Last edited:
Dobers?

Consider a Doberman? I have had them all my life and love them too bits. Shorter hair than a Dalmatian, no shedding, same characteristics (hugely playful - very undeserved rep) adbad hips aside both the last two lived till 14....

I miss the terribly and now have this little fellow in my life (mini pinscher (very similar look and acting ability!):

Last edited:
my sons got a 12 month old dalmation (dane head type) they are very strong,need lots of excercise,but very friendly and loving,they can suffer with eye and dietry problems but most large dogs have their problems,

Get a Berner! Big dogs, but lovely! We are picking up our new pup in 3 weeks time! :)

It was on over the weekend as well. This thread was not a direct result, but probably indirect, helped by my parents retriever pup, acting a character also.

My daughter is a bit nervous. She has said that if we do decide to get one, she hopes that Cruella won't visit...

Probably more undecided as a result of this thread...

Someone from my dog training club did the doggy makeup on the original live action "101" film. Each "starring" pup was played by many real ones, which had to be (safely!) coloured to look as similar as possible.

If you do decide to go for the dalmation, make sure you go to a reputable breeder.
I hear there`s a lot of fakes about at the moment.....

dalmaegle.jpg

Said Goodbye to our Golden Retriever "Rosie" last November.
It left a huge hole in our families lives as well as our hearts. I swore I would never get another dog, ever. The pain of that parting was just too much.
Time moves on and maybe in 2012 (I know it’s a long way off, but I have some travel plans) We will welcome a dog into our family again.
Briard! Hmm, never heard of them but its now on the list. Along with Red Setters and Golden Retrievers both of which we have had before.
Rescue dog this time though, fraught with its own problems I know but this time around it seems the right thing to do.

Hi John - did you go for a dog this year?

Came across some puppies last week which are pushing me to the brink...

Hi John - did you go for a dog this year?

Came across some puppies last week which are pushing me to the brink...

Rescue dog every time (as per John's post) -it makes sense on so many levels........

ta for the replies. Not quite what I was hoping for, but better to be forewarned.

Shame, they are great family friendly dogs...

But shed a lot of hair and hump anything that moves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom