Tell me about Mazda 6 estates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Hello

My wife needs a new car and she likes the look of Mazda 6 estates... I want an S212 E350 but I don't have to live with it daily. Anyone have any experiences, good or bad?

Cheers
Matt

I rented a Mazda 6 (saloon) a couple of times and truly loved the car. Hope this helps.

A friend had the diesel estate. Apparently that engine has issues with lubrication at higher miles. Sludge builds up in the sump and blocks the oil pickup I think.

A friend had the diesel estate. Apparently that engine has issues with lubrication at higher miles. Sludge builds up in the sump and blocks the oil pickup I think.

What year and engine is that ?

Surely down to oil manufacturer spec / service interval ?

What year and engine is that ?

Surely down to oil manufacturer spec / service interval ?
Sorry, can’t recall for sure, but maybe 2015? Apparently it’s a well known issue regardless of service history?

He had the sump taken off and all cleaned out then got rid of it. Car had FSH, he was the second owner, bought from someone he knew that lived 3 doors away. There was barely a clear path to the pickup apparently.

All very third hand and uncorroborated I know, but I can’t imagine why anyone would make that up! He was a bit disappointed as he liked the car otherwise.

I can ask him for more details if anyone is interested?

Wifes sister has a diesel mazda 6 and it now requires a new engine, i think its 2008 model, my other car is a 93 petrol mazda and i have had no problems whatsoever with it

If you are buying second hand Mazda 6's are known to rust according to the internets.

We're enormous Mazda fans, having had SIX Mx5's in a row. (All NB's).
I've looked at the Mazda6 several times but could never quite be persuaded, against the E Class, 3 series, or 5 series.

Word on the street is that they're a reliable, thoughtful estate - something more tasteful than a Ford or Vauxhall.

I tried to "sell" my son on a Mazda6 as a Labradormobile but he wouldn't go for it. He's inherited my respect for the Germans.

A Mazda6 won't be as bulletproof as an E class but, on the other hand, it will feel more nimble and compact than an E class. In my mind, it's natural competitor for external size is really the C Class.

Final thought: what a bargain, compared to Mercedes prices, if only you can source the right car.

my lastv3 company cars have been Mazda6 saloon diesels which all had done nearly 120 000 miles when they where changed. They never had any major problems. I also loved them as my everyday workhorse and would recommend them

We are looking to spend up to £10k so would be the latest model. Not really fussed if diesel or petrol tbh; either will be better then the 320 cdi in a mostly urban usage situation.

Funnily enough it is for transporting 2 dogs (lab and retriever/lab) so we want a good size boot. My brother has a C class (hybrid) estate and the rear boot size is pony and trap so we had dismissed it from our thinking.

We are also considering Ford Mondeo or Volvo just to muddy the waters.

I am still trying to wear my wife down on an E350, wish me luck

Strangely Mercland @ Nuneaton have a Mazda 6 estate for sale & a couple of E350 estates ;)

Strangely Mercland @ Nuneaton have a Mazda 6 estate for sale & a couple of E350 estates ;)
Yes I know. We are right over on the Welsh coast at the moment so a visit to Jay's will have to wait unfortunately.

In better news she is warming to the E350 idea. She likes to "make progress" when driving so going to a smaller engine will be terribly retrograde i tell her. Fingers crossed everyone. Will have to increase the budget too

I've never had one personally, but I really like the styling and interior, would not mind a petrol engine one,, as they seem to be pretty bulletproof, but they seem to have problems with the oil pick up pipe in the diesel engine's from what I have heard, so again, personally, I'd avoid the diesel one.

I am still trying to wear my wife down on an E350, wish me luck
Test drive. The E350 is a much higher quality car than the Mazda6, Mondeo or Volvo.
Make sure she likes the colour of the car you try

I've started another thread as my wife has dropped the Mazda idea for a Škoda Superb. As you say MiW test driving is the next step. I still hope the higher quality of the e class will win her over but we will see

I've started another thread as my wife has dropped the Mazda idea for a Škoda Superb. As you say MiW test driving is the next step. I still hope the higher quality of the e class will win her over but we will see

We're enormous Mazda fans, having had SIX Mx5's in a row. (All NB's).
I've looked at the Mazda6 several times but could never quite be persuaded, against the E Class, 3 series, or 5 series.

Word on the street is that they're a reliable, thoughtful estate - something more tasteful than a Ford or Vauxhall.

I tried to "sell" my son on a Mazda6 as a Labradormobile but he wouldn't go for it. He's inherited my respect for the Germans.

A Mazda6 won't be as bulletproof as an E class but, on the other hand, it will feel more nimble and compact than an E class. In my mind, it's natural competitor for external size is really the C Class.

Final thought: what a bargain, compared to Mercedes prices, if only you can source the right car.
Mike I'd be thinking that maybe, just maybe, you could put the Mazda6 ( top of the range version) in the same class as the C class MB, but with the E class? not a hope,, Theres a reason why the Mazdas are such a bargain price wise compared to the MB's. Don't get me wrong.. I very much like the new Mazda 6, both the look and the interior layout,,,,,if you put several different makes together, without their manufacturers badges, I'd be very attracted to the 6. But the diesel engines have gotten a bit of a bad reputation, IMHO. The Petrol's though, have very good reputation.

Mazda being Mazda tend to plough their own furrow and have not gone down the turbo route for their petrol engines. The 6 will have a 2 litre naturally aspirated engine of advanced design with good performance and economy but anyone who has become accustomed to the low rev shove of a Kompressor or turbo engine could be disappointed.

Maybe not too relevant, but good few years ago I had a Mazda Xedos 6, did around 100k before selling it. Best car I had ever owned. Nothing ever went wrong with it. Great styling, comfy & fairly rapid. Mazda seems to fly under the radar, don't hear much about them.. Even after 100k the leather seats & bodywork looked brand new. Sold it to a guy who worked at McLaren as a painter & he was very complementary about the paintwork. Replaced it with a Toyota Supra, thats another story

Mike I'd be thinking that maybe, just maybe, you could put the Mazda6 ( top of the range version) in the same class as the C class MB, but with the E class? not a hope,, Theres a reason why the Mazdas are such a bargain price wise compared to the MB's. Don't get me wrong.. I very much like the new Mazda 6, both the look and the interior layout,,,,,if you put several different makes together, without their manufacturers badges, I'd be very attracted to the 6. But the diesel engines have gotten a bit of a bad reputation, IMHO. The Petrol's though, have very good reputation.
Agreed on all of that. I was only suggesting that, from a size point of view, the C is the comparator to the Mazda6, not the E.

Build quality, length of life, quality of maintenance etc all put the Merc ahead of a Mazda.
Petrol engines: well, that's a reason to buy Mazda because you can't find petrol Mercs in the UK because so many cars were initially sold into the Company car sector.
Reliability? Maybe the Mazda is better, arguably bulletproof. But they get scrapped before 100k because their resale value is nothing, whereas someone will always buy a Mercedes with 100k on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom