Tell me about - Nissan Juke ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyN

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Me - BMW 440i Coupe / Dog -Cayenne
The time has come to look for another car to replace the wife's 2007 Renault Scenic. The car has be great during our ownership needing very little in the way of repairs but , as with most Renaults , it is starting to show its age after around 70k miles and nine years on the road. The car has just passed its MOT with the only advisory is for a tyre and balljoint being required for next year.

We dont need a big family car as the kids have their own cars but it needs to have four doors to chauffeur the mums around on the odd occasion that we need to , wifey likes the elevated position of the Scenic so "normal height" cars have been ruled out as have the larger SUV type of vehicles from a cost POV.

On the (very) shortlist is a Juke (petrol or diesel) around three years old with an initial windscreen price of around £8.5k , the Scenic trade in price and cash settlement has still to be deducted from the price .

So has anyone got any experience good or bad regarding the Juke.

Cheers - Kenny

Last edited:
Test drove one once, was tiny and the salesman was a d*ck so I walked out :D
aren't they just beefed up micras?

aren't they just beefed up micras?

I believe they are.

The wife has no interest at all in cars as long as it starts and stops then she is happy. She has based her car purchasing strategy using the "that looks nice" formula.

We are thinking about the diesel as it will save £200+ on tax plus the Scenic struggles to give 30mpg around town where 90% of driving will be done.

Kenny

On a serious note I kind of like them. I love things that are radically different. Who says all cars have to look the same.

The front is much better than the rear. Beefier exhausts would help.

We bought a Joke new back in 2012. It's a 1.6 CVT (you cannot get auto diesels).

Overall, it has been a pretty good car.

I am 6'4" and I find I can adjust the driver seat to a comfortable position (basically on the lowest setting and furthest back) - we've used it on holidays a lot because it is easy to park (especially with a camera), it's practical (for those Cornwall/Devon roads as well as fords etc.) and it is great on the juice.

The biggest downfall was the gearbox - but if you are buying manual this won't affect you (basically the CVT failed at 22k just under the 3 year warranty expired - they replaced with a "revised one" and post facelift Jokes, c2014, got a re-designed one).

We both like the looks but they are definitely polarising cars in that department.

It uses a Renault engine and it wouldn't surprise me if it was built on the same platform as the Captur, of vice versa.

A "Beefed-up Micra" may not be a bad thing.

Anyone remember the March Superturbo? - That's a JDM Micra with a twincharged engine in it.

bought a new one 2years ago nothing but trouble,had all the drl's and back lights replaced trouble with the fuel injection,radio and sat nav died, front tyres replaced after 8100 miles milage was terrible 44 average around town it was a 1.5 diesel tekna,plenty of toys a lot of them useless items i.e "G-force" really. stop start only worked when it felt like it aprt from that no complaints ha ha lost over 8500 when I part exchanged it after 18 months I may have had a bad one but best of luck with yours

We bought a Joke new back in 2012. It's a 1.6 CVT (you cannot get auto diesels).

Overall, it has been a pretty good car.

I am 6'4" and I find I can adjust the driver seat to a comfortable position (basically on the lowest setting and furthest back) - we've used it on holidays a lot because it is easy to park (especially with a camera), it's practical (for those Cornwall/Devon roads as well as fords etc.) and it is great on the juice.

The biggest downfall was the gearbox - but if you are buying manual this won't affect you (basically the CVT failed at 22k just under the 3 year warranty expired - they replaced with a "revised one" and post facelift Jokes, c2014, got a re-designed one).

We both like the looks but they are definitely polarising cars in that department.

It uses a Renault engine and it wouldn't surprise me if it was built on the same platform as the Captur, of vice versa.

bought a new one 2years ago nothing but trouble,had all the drl's and back lights replaced trouble with the fuel injection,radio and sat nav died, front tyres replaced after 8100 miles milage was terrible 44 average around town it was a 1.5 diesel tekna,plenty of toys a lot of them useless items i.e "G-force" really. stop start only worked when it felt like it aprt from that no complaints ha ha lost over 8500 when I part exchanged it after 18 months I may have had a bad one but best of luck with yours

Thanks for the useful replies chaps , the whole idea of replacing the Scenic was to get something a bit newer and possibly trouble free.

Kenny

The new Honda HRV ----- it will never go wrong. http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/honda/hrv/suv/video#video

honda-hrv-suv-uktest-front-quarter.jpg

OR If you want to stick with Renault-- the Captur ? http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/renault/captur/suv/video#video

renault-captur-suv-2015-front-quarter_0.jpg

Last edited:
B-Max or a C-Max or similar?

Too similar (looking) to the Scenic but possibly better built , the Kuga is more along the lines of what she would like but the £8.5k would only get one that is 5+ years old.

Kenny

I don't get such a great vibe with the Joke when compared to the Honda Jizz before it - that just seemed a lot better built in hindsight.

Although we've not had the issues which Kasper has had, it has a few quirks with it (like when you are reducing the speed in cruise control, it will drop and then flip back to a slightly higher speed).

Nothing we can't live with though.

Will we buy another one? I'm not keen but it depends if the misses still likes them - it's her choice at the end of the day although I won't allow certain makes which I know to be utter shyte!

We have Kia and Mitsubishi on the possible future replacement list and possibly the Evoque, although I know we are in for some electrical fun being JLR.

Last edited:
The wife had one for 3 years and it never missed a beat. It was a Tekna model so every option box ticked like keyless entry-go, full leather, sat nav, cruise, camera etc. Easy to enter / exit, good driving height and a comfortable ride. Reasonably quick in sport mode, a good all round motor that we have nothing negative to say about it.

Ah I didn't read the OP properly and missed the £8.5K budget.

I like a bit of an autotrader search so here are some oddball suggestions:-

Mitsubishi ASX 1.6 Attivo 5dr

Hyundai IX35 1.6 GDi 16v Style SUV 2WD 5dr

Suzuki SX4 S CROSS 1.6 SZ3 5dr

Peugeot 2008 ACTIVE 1.2 5dr

I think the Pug and Hyundai would be ruled out on looks alone , we had a Suzuki before the Scenic and it had a really cheap feel to the interior so unless they have upped their game then i think the Suzi will be out also.

I looked at the ASX and considered it but for the budget they seemed highish miles and there were none locally that ticked the boxes.

Kenny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom