Tell me about..... Sweden

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lugy

Car
W140 S320
A month or so ago someone suggested I look into emmigrating to Sweden, I've been giving it a bit of a think recently.

I hear stories that it's a totally different place to live than here, crime is virtually unheard off - people leave their cars running while they go into shops, everything is clean, their government is far better, it has a high cost of living but wages reflect this.

Does anyone have any experience of staying there long term or has anyone stayed/still stays there?

Paradise has it`s own name,lol.Good luck

01-14-09%20SwedishChef.jpg

as a person with experience (canada) you need to spend at least a month in that country.

you also need to try and ensure you treat it as real life, not a holiday when there.

the grass is rarely greener, and living somewhere is nothing like holidaying. also you need to consider leaving friends and family.

sorry if the above is obvious.

A month or so ago someone suggested I look into emmigrating to Sweden, I've been giving it a bit of a think recently.

I hear stories that it's a totally different place to live than here, crime is virtually unheard off - people leave their cars running while they go into shops, everything is clean, their government is far better, it has a high cost of living but wages reflect this.

Does anyone have any experience of staying there long term or has anyone stayed/still stays there?

Hi,

While some of these statements are true to a degree I think they are more a result of Sweden having a fewer people, about the same population as London in a country 2-3 times larger than England. You will probably find people telling similar stories about remote villages in the north or west of England.

Crime rates aren't that different but it's true that the high taxes do go to pay for a higher overall standard of living. Things seem to simply be expected to cost more but we do expect something in return, spend a day wondering around Stockholm or Gothenburg and compare it to London and you will notice the difference.

Whether any of these differences mean the place is actually 'better' is a matter of personal opinion. For instance, be prepared for more openness in terms of personal information, your national ID number is public record and is used widely throughout society. Overall, your are expected to follow due process and use the strong sense of society to your advantage and not see it as something that hinders your individual life.

Put off yet? :)

In case you haven't stumbled upon it yet there is a Swedish news site in English, although bordering on tabloid-ish it does reflect on some of the points of living in Sweden: The Local - Sweden's news in English

Good luck in whatever decision you make!

Cheers,
Matt

The wife is Swedish. PM me and she can tell you all about it.

I've been looking at moving abroad recently, since I have no family here as they have all moved away South Africa, UAE, Australia.

I went to Sweden, Norway and Finland on a roadtrip in Feb 2007 and I absolutely loved it. Wonderful country with amazingly helpful people, the scenery is beautiful.

If you are serious about going then let me know what you find and perhaps we could share ideas and what not?

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0728.JPG

DSCN0734.JPG

I used to work for a Swedish company and visited their Head Office outside Stockholm many times.

From what I recall - The country is clean, public transport works and you may even want to use it because it's clean and runs on time. The people are friendly, their Health Service and welfare care is second to none but the taxes are VERY high, mind you, so is the UK I suppose. Alcohol is also pricey.

Jaw dropping scenery, but don't eat the pickled herring!

Fishing is free, you have the right to roam and camp almost anywhere (leave the site as you found it though!). Hunting is OK too.

It very cold in winter (no kid!) and you'll need studded tyres and pre-heaters.

Great parties in May.

Worth a look I think.

Let me tell you about Sweden; the only place where the clouds are interesting.;)

Nope - UK is one of the lowest-taxed countries in Europe.

Really?
We get taxed here for everything, do you have a list of all the taxes for all the EU countrie that I can look through?

Nope - UK is one of the lowest-taxed countries in Europe.

Is that direct taxation or overall tax take?

Really?
We get taxed here for everything, do you have a list of all the taxes for all the EU countrie that I can look through?

Taxes in Europe database - Taxation and Customs Union - European Commission

I'm not sure if this will be much help since my feeling is that post "the great european bank robbery" tax regimes in many EU countries will undergo marked change in the next few years. It might be pertinent to examine the exposure of the Swedish Banking system/currency to the climate of economic instability suffered by many European countries recently. On this basis I would avoid ICELAND for quite a few years for example.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Really?

One of the simplest ways of viewing it it looking for Tax Freedom Day. This lists the first day of the year that we earn money for ourselves and not the government. It's based on all forms of taxation.

So to compare:

UK - 134
France - 197
Germany - 190
Sweden - 209

As other "simplified" comparators, it can be argued as flawed, but it does give a good idea on a like-for-like basis of overall taxation burden.

Whereabouts in Sweden I have worked there and stayed there for a few months at a time over the last 20 years I personally prefer the North Lulea & Kiruna areas, the North is different to the South both in terms of people places things to do, climate etc. Had you anywhere particular in mind?

Cheers for all your input folks, quite a lot of useful stuff here, I've no idea where I'd be going, probably towards the south of the country, maybe near to Stockholm. The most important thing is living where the engineering happens.

Time for more research!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom