Tell me about Volvo's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
My wife loves and therefore has nicked the Jaaaag so I need another set of wheels.
The mileage will be low (5000 miles a year) but an estate would be ideal. Good for work so I can chuck my gear in the back, a run down to the south of France to see my mum and handy for general load lugging.
I have been looking at Volvo V40s and V70s. Budget is £2000. My thoughts on these cars are they appear to be well looked after, not driven by chavs, well kitted and reliable
There seem to be a few fans here so any help or advice would be appreciated.

Have a look on the Volvo owners forum. Lots of info there.

A good car in the form of both v40 and 70 however, I'd buy a 70 as they feel like a bulky quality car. Go for the d5 and you'd be hard pushed to go wrong.

A good car in the form of both v40 and 70 however, I'd buy a 70 as they feel like a bulky quality car. Go for the d5 and you'd be hard pushed to go wrong.

Cheers. I initially was looking at the V40 but I noticed a few people on the forum rate the V70. I have seen some decent looking models on ebay around the 1800 quid area.

Loved my V70 T5 SE, Much more comfortable than my Merc and I still miss it. As with all cars, go for one with FSH. Cam belt needs changing at 90,000 - ish. Front wheel drive can be a bit heavy on front tyres if driven spiritedly, of which I was guilty, but much better in snow.

The T5 (petrol) and D5 (diesel) both have turbos and are both 5 cylinder. The SE models had more toys. 4 wheel drive options were also available. (Standard on the V70-R I believe).

Great memories...

£1,800 What sort of year are you looking at? Dont touch v70 1999 - late 2003 and stay away from Geartronic box's as they are very very weak

You'll get adecentish V40 for £2K.

I bought an 03 in 2012 for £1300 with 100K on the clock and FVSH.

Ran it for two years during which it cost me servicing, tyres and a secondhand heater control module for £15.

Sold it for £1150 with 130K on the clock.

Dull, but extremely well built, surprisingly roomy and ultra reliable!

Now if only Merc's R230s were as well made!!!

£1,800 What sort of year are you looking at? Dont touch v70 1999 - late 2003 and stay away from Geartronic box's as they are very very weak

I never had any problems with geartronic and neither did my wife in her S60 :dk:

What do you think based on the title and content of my thread.

The use of the apostrophe suggests you're asking a question about something that Volvo owns, a possession or feature.

If you want to know about Volvos generally, then the title should have read "Tell me about Volvos".

HTH.

I've been looking at Volvos as well. The V70 is a great load-lugger and you can get some well-specced cars for very little money.

I believe some models of the V40 are built on a Focus chassis so they have to be a good bet

Nick Froome

2x s80, 3x v70 1x s60 all pre 2004 (54) facelift and xc90

Also the teeth/splines wear out on angle gear on the Awd's , Volvo do uprated coller now for them. DIM units/instrument clusters fail also on the 2000-2003/4 series cars to as do the etm's , sometimes cleaning the etm works and stops the hunting at tickover.

If you were looking at a V70 the 54 plate facelift car has much better electrics and drivetrain. Think the geartronic got revised in 2006

My advice to the Op would be to speak to Simon at SLR Motor Company if he is looking at purchasing a Volvo as they sell quite a few and can sort the wheat from the chaff. Contact details below ;)

http://dealerservices.autotrader.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=490434&pageid=1

Last edited:
The use of the apostrophe suggests you're asking a question about something that Volvo owns, a possession or feature.

If you want to know about Volvos generally, then the title should have read "Tell me about Volvos".

HTH.

I think it is rather obvious what I mean. Several others seem to understand.
Thanks for the English lesson though.

Does the geartronic problem apply only to the automatic?
I wasn't thinking of any of the 4x4s. I want simple , roomy and comfy.

I have been on the Volvo forum and it's quite good. There is a sticky for buying the V40's.

2x s80, 3x v70 1x s60 all pre 2004 (54) facelift and xc90

OMG! 7 cars all with geartronic problems, did they have FSH? That sure is some bad luck you've had. Sucker for punishment? :doh:
Note to self: 'Don't buy a car off merc85'. lol

Does the geartronic problem apply only to the automatic?
I wasn't thinking of any of the 4x4s. I want simple , roomy and comfy.

I have been on the Volvo forum and it's quite good. There is a sticky for buying the V40's.

Yes, geartronic is Volvo's automatic box with the additional option of of manual change. As I said, never had the slightest problem with mine. (2004 - 04 Plate).

The Volvo Owners Forum is very good I found. I used to subscribe to it.

Last edited:
Take a look at v50s

Great cars in my opinion

2.0 136bhp diesel is a punchy little engine and feels much more like 170bhp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom