Tell me about......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetleysmooth

Car
Non Mercedes.
The E230 Avantgarde, please.
The year of the model I'm considering is a 1997. I know absolutely nothing about these. One of my first questions is, does the engine have a timing belt or chain?
Possibly going to view one next Sunday, so any info will be gratefully received.
Forwarned is forarmed, as they say......
Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to the forum!
All Mercedes engines are chain driven - usually duplex chains and rarely need attention until very high mileage.
On a 1997 W210, your biggest enemy is rust, rust, rust. There's lots of threads on here about it, so worth spending some time reading them, so that you are better equipped when buying. Other than this, most things can be fixed, but check service history is good.

As Gordon says the biggest problem is rust.
My experience of the W210 was brilliant oither than the rust - which was the only reason I got rid.
Bought at 39,000 sold at 154,000. The only (no-service) parts needed were a cat. That's it.

Thanks Gordon. I'm pleased to hear about the timing chains.
I've seen some pics of the 230 I intend viewing on Sunday, and yes, tinworm is apparent on the front wings and around the bootlock.
Could be a good bargaining point though. Nothing structural, according to the seller.

Thanks Ted.
I suppose wings can be replaced. Don't suppose it'd be cheap though.

UNLESS THE BODY IS IN EXCEPTIONAL CONDITION FOR ITS AGE I WOULD AVOID THIS MODEL. The 230 is slightly underpowered for such a car unless its the kompressor[ supercharged ] motor. Many 4 cylinder models have been used as utility/taxi/business vehicles and have mega miles on the clock. I believe 97 was the year they changed from a 4 speed [ reliable] to a 5 speed [ more ecomical] auto box-- the trade value the 5speed more highly irrc. Mercedes-Benz W210 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ps might be worth checking to see if the front spring perches have been repaired- they are a very common and potentially dangerous front suspension failure. the welds corrode behind the protective sealant so can remain undetected till sudden failure--- only sure way of knowing is if they have been repaired already.

Last edited:
If you can find a 'rust free' example, then they are brilliant cars. Another point to watch is the front crossmember - they tend to corrode on the top face, which is not so easily seen. I think earlier cars might have been galvanised, so that's something worth looking into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom