Tell me why i shouldn't buy an Infiniti FX30D or Q50

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG Sean

Car
Chrysler 300c SRT Design CRD
looking for a new car and these infinitis caught my eye

The above probably not assisted by their woeful dealer coverage.

I was looking at these for my dad and the SUV’s are a good buy with lots of toys - 99% certain they’re using the Mercedes V6 diesel too.

The Q50 is really the answer to a question nobody has asked - hence their withdrawal from the UK/European market.

I was given one for a month as a courtesy car whilst my C124 was being straightened out back in 2014. Here's my impressions at that time:

"76 miles on the clock and loaded with every gadget known to man. Obviously keyless, cameras everywhere and the fat ba$tard option whereby wheel and seats slide away to ease exit for old duffers like me. Six-speed auto with paddles and very nice feel and weight to steering and pedals. Then it all falls apart under brisk acceleration - when it sounds just like you'd expect from a 2.2 litre 4 cyl diesel.

But overall, hugely impressive though all the touch screen, internet and sat-nav gizmos just confirm my opinion that they are mesmerising to the point of dangerous."

When I got my car back a month later, I wrote:

"It was a pleasure to get back behind the wheel after a brief OMG moment when I hit the brakes and remembered the travel on a 124 is considerably greater than a Q50!

There is no question that after 18 years, of course, cars have moved on. The Infiniti, at £41k, is a clone of a top end C-class and not much smaller than an E-class. Nonetheless, the basic driving experience was little better - and ruined by the crap 2.2 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine.

With four gear change menus and eight steering options, throttle sensitivity plus a million other options, it all seemed rather pointless on what is a rather anonymous and unsporting saloon.

No doubt, Nissan, along with MB and Renault have done their sums and looked at the rivals, but I came away unimpressed with the superficiality of the Q50. Yes it's crammed with features - the seats and driving position are superb - but, even allowing for a 124s recirculating ball steering, it is the poorer car, feeling more like a Playstation game as it has no mechanical connectivity.

The overall build quality is superb - beautiful real leather and fine stitching - and whilst I have no UTD experience, I cannot believe MB could be any better.

Over 520 miles (the car came with 76 miles on the clock) I got 41.8 mpg. At 80 mph, the engine is turning over at 2000 rpm and the totally random stop/start system saved the world all of 0.28kg of CO2."
C:\Users\DEREKW~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

By far the worst feature was the nasty, unrefined, sluggish, noisy and unresponsive Mercedes-sourced OM651 diesel - but, I suppose, hardly surprising when I'm used to a straight six 3.2 petrol! Dunno how Mercedes and Nissan got away with it!

Last edited:
The FX comes with a 3.7 lump used in the Nissan 370z and a 5 ltr version. Those would be where my money went

A colleague had the FX with the 3.7 petrol engine and loved it. Well built, excellent interior, drove very well and also went well and sounded good. Not checked the prices of these recently but could imagine they are attractive. Dealer wise they are in the Nissan family so should t be an issue....

Ironic that the Q30 [ A CLASS reclad] AND QX30 [GLA reclad ] Infinities built in Sunderland are possibly the closest we will ever get to a Mercedes car built in the UK! May reflect Carlos Ghosn's recent fall from grace ----he oversaw Infiniti's expansion into Europe a decade ago but more likely simply be an echo of other Japanese manufacturers withdrawal from manufacturing in Europe as they move towards electrification. Is it down to Japans proximity to China as a source of battery power cell manufacture and global controller of raw materials--- or China's potential as a growth area for EV consumption. Unfortunately the result appears to be UK 's role as the offshore producer of Japanese cars for Europe seems be coming to an end. This may be due to global market and technology changes or uncertainty in our future trade relationships with Europe or possibly a combination of both - we will never know for sure?
Infiniti leaving UK and Europe in 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom