Telling some curiosities about G wagon .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4life211

Car
mercedes 211
Hello guys .

I have started this thread just for G class .They are many people excited about this car.
One thing is that this car has high value in market .Even a 1999 model cost a lot.
They looks very strong car .There are not too much looked in car garages .

The G wagen until very recently used a ladder chassis design dating back to the 1970's.:eek: It has never been subjected to the EURONCAP collision safety tests in all that time as its classed as a "commercial vehicle" . :rolleyes: They are a very strong car but lack modern front and side crumple zones. This means that in a collision with a lighter vehicle their weight and strong construction may convey an advantage - in effect bouncing the other vehicle out of the way. In a collision with a heavier or immoveable object- large vehicle, structure or tree however --the vehicle's inherent rigidity means de-acceleration loads will not be absorbed by the vehicle's structure but transferred directly to its occupants who unfortunately are not built to survive such loads. :(

^^And the G Wagon has all the design aesthetics of a cardboard box.

But have no fear, because on the Eighth Day did God create the Range Rover and he saw that it was good......

But have no fear, because on the Eighth Day did God create the Range Rover and he saw that it was good......

And on the Ninth day it broke down ...

The tenth day come and Range Rover didn't saw the light ...

In the mid/late 90's I owned a 280GE long wheel base, great car. When on holiday in Cornwall, driving through some country lanes in rain, met a lorry coming the opposite way, neither of us could stop, lane was too narrow for both of us so we collided offside to offside. The impact pushed the front bumper onto the tyre of the G Wagen, the lorry was written off as the front of the cab and front suspension a torn apart. I was taken to a garage for a quick repair as I wanted to take the car to my main dealer for repair. A breakdown truck was reversed to my car and a rope was wrapped around the bumper. The breakdown driver said that I needed to make sure my handbrake was on as my car was moving towards his breakdown truck. I said look again, it's your breakdown truck moving towards my car. :D Anyway, pulled the bumper off the wheel and had the car repaired in Bristol total cost £1400. On the older G's, the front and back bumper is made of 6mm C shaped channel, very tough and very heavy. I sold the car for roughly half the price it would be worth today, who'd have thought they would command such prices.

The old G will lose a fair bit of it's resale value over the next few years I reckon, they will never be cheap I admit but the new one is much better and as they come onto the second hand market the older model wont hold up well against it.

I used to drive a G350 during my national service days and I was totally naive about what it was. It was admired as the best vehicle in the fleet though. Loved how we used it to pull out two 2.5 ton trucks out of the mudd. Or how it was impossible to "flip" it on near vertical positions [emoji12]
But those don't apply to most of us in civilian life.
Only thing wrong is that it doesn't do well in the desert, something that began to affect Saudi sales I believe. MB will be fixing soon.

Sent from my H8116 using Tapatalk

I used to drive a G350 during my national service days and I was totally naive about what it was. It was admired as the best vehicle in the fleet though. Loved how we used it to pull out two 2.5 ton trucks out of the mudd. Or how it was impossible to "flip" it on near vertical positions [emoji12]
But those don't apply to most of us in civilian life.
Only thing wrong is that it doesn't do well in the desert, something that began to affect Saudi sales I believe. MB will be fixing soon.

Yes you are right.
For dessert is produced new G wagon 6x6.
I think for that reason is produced new one 6x6.

New gen SUVs by MB will be able to "jump" out with the suspension pumping the car out, I doubt the new G class will have it anytime soon. They just need more strategy behind next gen and features for example the s560 not having MBUX but the A class does?
Yes you are right.
For dessert is produced new G wagon 6x6.
I think for that reason is produced new one 6x6.

It is G-WagEn ; not wagon ( which is something cowboys pull behind horses .

The original Gelandewagen was produced during WWII for the German military and was a much more versatile vehicle with steering at both ends and capable of travelling equally in either direction .

In the early stages of the vehicle project Daimler-Benz joined forces with the Austrian Steyr-Puch company manufacturers of the Haflinger and Pinzgauer all-terrain vehicles. They established the joint venture GFG [ Gelandewagen-Fahrzeug-Gesellshaft] to build it in Austria till Steyr bought MB out in 1981. Steyr themselves were subsequently bought over by the Canadian Magna Corporation but continue to build the G wagen under contract for Mercedes to this day. You discern the same angular body lines in the early G wagens.
Haflinger_green.jpg

800px-Pinzgauer_710-IMG_4935-40.jpg

I had one (lwb) before they became the preserve of pimps and rappers.
The kids called it ‘the tank’ and hated being taken to school in it. I’ll bet they wouldn’t be so precious now.
Lovely 3 litre diesel engine was as smooth and free revving as any petrol.
Got rid as it we couldn’t afford the £80 a week it was costing in diesel.

In the early stages of the vehicle project Daimler-Benz joined forces with the Austrian Steyr-Puch company manufacturers of the Haflinger and Pinzgauer all-terrain vehicles. They established the joint venture GFG [ Gelandewagen-Fahrzeug-Gesellshaft] to build it in Austria till Steyr bought MB out in 1981. Steyr themselves were subsequently bought over by the Canadian Magna Corporation but continue to build the G wagen under contract for Mercedes to this day. You discern the same angular body lines in the early G wagens.
Haflinger_green.jpg

Never mind the golf trolley, that's a lovely Foden on the right.

Just posted a photograph of a G Wagon 63 AMG......in general section.
With 6 wheels:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom